• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

AM DX Daytime Catch: WSCR - 670 Chicago at 413 Miles

I would count your KLFE log as daytime skywave. 8:30AM MT is still skywave left over from the D-layer and I don't count those. It's like counting something heard at the break of dawn as 'daytime'...the closer to solar noon, the better.

10am mountain time is when I heard KLFE.. that's certainly past when when the D layer has burned off. my CJGX reception was 830

Thank you for the responses! There is snow cover from here all the way to Chicago. Regardless of whether it was extended ground wave or daytime skywave, it was a fun daytime catch...

Bob

That's happened to me here in Columbus, Ohio. I've caught WSCR and WGN groundwave daytime in just those conditions a handful of times over the years.
Those might very well be my farthest daytime catches. I can't think of stations from any farther I've heard unexpectedly over the years.

My best daytime skywave catch was hearing a good steady signal of WLW at Clearwater Beach around 1 pm on a cold December day.

775 miles.

I’ve heard WBZ Boston (Hull, MA) numerous times over the years between Noon and 1 PM on my car radio in Lexington, KY (780 miles)

My best daytime skywave catch was hearing a good steady signal of WLW at Clearwater Beach around 1 pm on a cold December day.

775 miles.

Some of that path would be over salt water, although that would not be much of a difference for daytime skywave. But I wonder if the unobstructed skip point might make a difference.

Salt water can make a big difference in groundwave daytime reception. On the south coast of Puerto Rico at the place I had at Rincón, dozens of coastal Venezuelan stations and a few from the Colombian coast were audible all day, every day. 600 to about 800 miles.

I sailed across from FL to PR once, and was able to get WBZ daytime once the coast of FL was left... over a 15 day trip, I listened to WBZ frequently both day and night... of course, during most of the time when we did not need any electrical device turned on, there was zero noise on the band. Oddly, the NYC stations were not audible daytime, but came in moderately well at night. WBZ was, of course, the best listen (1980) as it had marvelous programming then.

Some of that path would be over salt water, although that would not be much of a difference for daytime skywave. But I wonder if the unobstructed skip point might make a difference.

Salt water can make a big difference in groundwave daytime reception. On the south coast of Puerto Rico at the place I had at Rincón, dozens of coastal Venezuelan stations and a few from the Colombian coast were audible all day, every day. 600 to about 800 miles.

I sailed across from FL to PR once, and was able to get WBZ daytime once the coast of FL was left... over a 15 day trip, I listened to WBZ frequently both day and night... of course, during most of the time when we did not need any electrical device turned on, there was zero noise on the band. Oddly, the NYC stations were not audible daytime, but came in moderately well at night. WBZ was, of course, the best listen (1980) as it had marvelous programming then.

The signal faded away as I drove back to Tampa and was gone completely before I reached the city limits.

After that day, I tried a lot to hear WLW in Tampa during the same time of day but never heard a trace.

So the salt water had something to do with it but of course it was no doubt a sky wave.

At night, I could hear the big New York stations WFAN, WABC, and WCBS in Tampa but over on Florida's east coast at night, the same stations are a lot stronger and often boom in almost like locals.

There's so much more salt water between there and New York for the signal to skip on.

I drive from my location to Madison, WI at least twice a year for work projects and on every trip, I start to receive WSCR, WGN and WBBM where I-35 meets I-80 on the west side of Des Moines.

Bob

Carroll, IA used to be a semi-regular stop for me in my biz travel days, Off the top of my head, I'm going to say it's about 75 miles northwest of Des moines. At that location during daytime, WBBM mixes with WJAG, 1kw from Norfolk, NE. Both stations are clearly audible.

I'm not sure how many miles this is, but in the late 80s & early 90s I used to drive up to Northern Minnesota every summer. Coming back I could pick up WGN right around the Minneapolis/St Paul Airport and this was mid-day in August. The other Chicago blowtorches came in about 30-40 miles east of there before I entered Wisconsin.
Also driving to the east coast I could hear 670 all the way to Cleveland during the day. Today with more stations and noise, I doubt that would still be possible.

I'm not sure how many miles this is, but in the late 80s & early 90s I used to drive up to Northern Minnesota every summer. Coming back I could pick up WGN right around the Minneapolis/St Paul Airport and this was mid-day in August. The other Chicago blowtorches came in about 30-40 miles east of there before I entered Wisconsin.
Also driving to the east coast I could hear 670 all the way to Cleveland during the day. Today with more stations and noise, I doubt that would still be possible.

Throughout most of the 1980s and 1990s, I was in the Twin Cities just about every six weeks or so (3M was one of my biggest customers), I could always hear snatches of (then) WMAQ and WGN driving around the area during daytime. In and out, prone to noise, but there....if no comforttably tlistenable. WBBM was problematic due to a local on first adjacent 770. All of these stations came in at night with good signals, as did WIND (560),,,despite being 5kw, but with a favorable pattern. WCFL/WLUP/WMVP or whatever was on 1000 was weaker, but also reliable at night.

Not only should be that possible, I would expect that on the best radios you could take WSCR to the far western reaches of the Cleveland metro, granted quite weakly by that point. I used to have some trouble hearing it in Toledo, but I think some of the areas of poor ground conductivity in southwest Michigan took a little punch out of its signal. Not even 30 miles south, all the Chicago 50Ks are easy catches daytime across the flat, open farmland of northwest Ohio with its excellent conductivity.

Throughout most of the 1980s and 1990s, I was in the Twin Cities just about every six weeks or so (3M was one of my biggest customers), I could always hear snatches of (then) WMAQ and WGN driving around the area during daytime. In and out, prone to noise, but there....if no comforttably tlistenable. WBBM was problematic due to a local on first adjacent 770. All of these stations came in at night with good signals, as did WIND (560),,,despite being 5kw, but with a favorable pattern. WCFL/WLUP/WMVP or whatever was on 1000 was weaker, but also reliable at night.

Thanks for reminding me of the 770 in the Twin Cities. I knew there had to be a good reason I couldn't hear WBBM. All the stations that you mentioned came in well in Northern Minnesota at night--even AM-1000 was better than I expected.

Not only should be that possible, I would expect that on the best radios you could take WSCR to the far western reaches of the Cleveland metro, granted quite weakly by that point. I used to have some trouble hearing it in Toledo, but I think some of the areas of poor ground conductivity in southwest Michigan took a little punch out of its signal. Not even 30 miles south, all the Chicago 50Ks are easy catches daytime across the flat, open farmland of northwest Ohio with its excellent conductivity.

That's good to know. With todays noise levels I'm never sure.

Glad to help. It's not like the Chicago 50Ks are powerhouses in places like Lima and Findlay or along the turnpike, but they are definitely listenable with a few exceptions. 670 comes in decently well. WGN takes some punishment from WJYM (730) out of Bowling Green, which is very directional to the south (east and west of Toledo, it's barely there if at all). WBBM is there the further west you are. WLS is weak but there west of 75 and WMVP would be on its last legs in that area.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom