• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Latest Chicago Radio Ratings

Can't be a whole lot worse than what they're getting now. If this is what live & local is worth, then maybe it's time to try something else.

It could be, it is hard to say until the first radio ratings comes out after WLS makes the change to their schedule, so figure sometime in February we will see what the radio ratings are like. I have no idea where Steve Dahl took as far as afternoon show. All I know he didn't come in the top ten, and when you look at it WLS' radio studios will be siting empty from at least 9 AM to 5 PM, as syndicated radio hosts will fill in all that time. But you are right maybe it is time to try something new.

TWO? and meanwhile, WLS 94.7 is MORE than holding its own - as a matter of fact, iirc, their morning show is top 5, midday show is top 5, and afternoon show is top 5 (feel free to correct me at any point :D )

Yes, but that is now. When the two were competing, the fragmentation left both of them off buys.

At this time last year, WLS-FM had less than half the 25-54 shares it now has, and was 20th to 22nd in the sales demos.

The same roughly 5 shares in 25-54 were split. Neither station got on agency buys unless they were cut-rate combos with higher ranked cluster partners.

But the top brass at WLS knows, and they came to the conclusion that they were better off with a hot syndicated host than with a local has-been.

We can only see about that, but I am not sure if this is the same management team that hired the local has been, and don't forget that Roe Conn used to be the afternoon drive host with or without a partner until this local has been was hired.

Can a Soft AC and Mainstream AC co-exist in the same cluster? IMO, absolutely!

I hear plenty of music on 98.7 The Breeze (Entercom) in Detroit that 100.3 WNIC (iHeart) never plays. I would say at least 80% of 98.7's playlist features songs that WNIC seldom plays or never plays - that is, when WNIC isn't in all-Christmas music mode! :)
hr

Conceptually, this is no different than an owner having a Hot AC and CHR/Pop in the same market, or a Hot AC and a Mainstream AC in the same market (*cough* Hubbard *cough*), or a Classic Rock and an Active Rock in the same market.

With regard to 94.7 WLS-FM, not only did K-Hits' demise help their numbers, but so did the demise of 97.9 The Loop. WLS-FM adjusted its playlist to include more classic rock material following WLUP's demise.

Can a Soft AC and Mainstream AC co-exist in the same cluster? IMO, absolutely!

I hear plenty of music on 98.7 The Breeze (Entercom) in Detroit that 100.3 WNIC (iHeart) never plays. I would say at least 80% of 98.7's playlist features songs that WNIC seldom plays or never plays - that is, when WNIC isn't in all-Christmas music mode! :)
hr

Conceptually, this is no different than an owner having a Hot AC and CHR/Pop in the same market, or a Hot AC and a Mainstream AC in the same market (*cough* Hubbard *cough*), or a Classic Rock and an Active Rock in the same market.

With regard to 94.7 WLS-FM, not only did K-Hits' demise help their numbers, but so did the demise of 97.9 The Loop. WLS-FM adjusted its playlist to include more classic rock material following WLUP's demise.

The closest station to compete with WLS FM is Me TV FM and that is on a dial that might not have s strong power. WLS FM also hired two dj's that were on K-Hits, Dave Fogel who had previously been their morning man until being let go by their for Brant Miller, and also Brain Peck that was the last host that was hired by K-hits as he had served as their mid morning dj, and now he does nights for WLS. For a long while he shared night duty with Tom O'Toole and Danny Lake, and he got the job full time at nights. It is easy for a station to pick up better ratings when stations that compete with them, have a demise such as K-Hits and The Loop.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom