Philadelphia Radio PPM Ratings: November 2018 - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Philadelphia Radio PPM Ratings: November 2018

Betw Hazleton and Pottsville PA ; Allentown closest market
    @ Big A : Points taken (especially the heritage personalities chipping in)

A side-point I neglected to add was that only-games-in-town should have, by nature, a little more breathing space with their selections than competing or even 50-50 overlapping stations in the market have. The OGsIT have, by default, less to lose or annoy that the stations climbing all over each other.

Now, admittedly, I'm a card-carrying Boomer (don't tell anyone, okay?). Worse: I've been in radio and I'm a DXer and I PDed and MDed and I collect music. There is no way I'm the average listener in any known demo.

For The Breeze, it's a -- uh -- fresh start. So if the average listener buys the idea and the premise, there can't as much harm giving them a nice meal with maybe a few new sides dished up. How can it be harmful? Where else is the listener to an only-game-on-town going to tune?

Sheesh -- I'm glad to be out the business. I don't envy the obstacles confronting today's purely nostalgia music stations.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Green NEPA View Post

For The Breeze, it's a -- uh -- fresh start. So if the average listener buys the idea and the premise, there can't as much harm giving them a nice meal with maybe a few new sides dished up. How can it be harmful? Where else is the listener to an only-game-on-town going to tune?
    Where they went before. Probably B101. The Breeze isn't really its own format, it's another subgenre. It's chopping the existing demo into smaller bits. That works for iHeart, since it doesn't have a dog in the fight. But it chops away at Entercom and Beasley. Maybe that way they can get WDAS to #1.

Betw Hazleton and Pottsville PA ; Allentown closest market
    I guess I disagree about the format being called a sub-genre, Big A. Not nowadays. It was a full-fledged and freestanding format back in the Jack Wagner/Bread/Whitney Houston days. From the lists of songs I've seen, this sound is designed to skew mellower, older-demo'ed, and was a former big winner.
    The venture certainly strikes me as a sort of return of the original and successful Beautiful Music stations. EZ-101's sister station WFIL tried the Paul Mauriat Of Your Life format for a while (I did some voicers for the place ; it was a p!$$er driving on Long Island tuned to 560 and hearing my wife say, seriously, 'That guy sounds familiar somehow', :-)

Now, David E accurately maintains that listeners aren't monolithic ; that they don't choose one station and say 'the (heck) with those other losers.' I forget the number of stations he says the average listener tunes in each week. So I guess another question -- gosh, I'm brimming with those today -- would be 'Why would a feasible and potentially borderline lucrative audience have tried out a new station and situated a new car button for it in the first place? And if curiosity or ennui are some of the reasons, why should a station slam the vault to the music library at them right from the git-go?'

Well, I suppose we'll see in about 3 1/2 weeks what kind of effect the quest will take ... how other stations swerve .... *if* they swerve .... how the Breeze itself will maneuvre ....

Best of the Holdays to you and yours, Big A. Thanks for the great reading in 2018.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Green NEPA View Post
    I guess I disagree about the format being called a sub-genre, Big A.
    It's a subgenre because it's playing some of the same songs. So, yes, it shares listeners with other stations. But not WDAS.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234