BUZ'N 102.9 - 'buzzing off'? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: BUZ'N 102.9 - 'buzzing off'?

Quote Originally Posted by Saladressing View Post
    While certainly far from a classic country outlet I'd be curious as to how many if any stations in top 20 markets regularly delve into 90s product or even stuff from more than a few years ago.
    You can't swing a cat in Houston or Dallas without hitting a couple of 90s George Strait tunes on Country radio. Usually one or two gold titles an hour.
    The opinions expressed are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers. Retweets are not endorsements.

While certainly far from a classic country outlet I'd be curious as to how many if any stations in top 20 markets regularly delve into 90s product or even stuff from more than a few years ago. If that number is next to zero, this could be a positive change.
    It's not unusual in markets where there are two country stations for one to go heavy with currents, and the other to broaden things out with more Gold. One example is St. Louis. The intent being to differentiate from KEEY. Typically its the heritage station that plays more Gold, but Entercom sees an opening with the Wolf. It's branding they use in other markets, including Seattle.

There's a resurgence in 90s country going on now, promoted by a lot of popular artists such as Dierks Bentley, who featured a 90s Night at his Seven Peaks Festival over the summer. He also has his own 90s cover band called Hot Country Knights. Thomas Rhett wrote a song recorded by Jason Aldean titled "1994," in which the chorus sings about Joe Diffie. Certainly last night's CBS TV special featuring Garth Brooks shows there's still interest in his music. So their timing is good, and it might work for listeners who tire of a heavy rotation of currents on KEEY.

This is a nice station alongside K102, as the new station appears to be playing gold dating back to the 1980s, and even some Johnny Cash. One way or another iHeart will probably counter the move. While HD to FM translator stations are weak-signaled perhaps a full time classic country based format on one of those may be in the cards.

Edit: Not sure how much pre-2010s music K102 was playing before, but the music log indicates that they just played "Rodeo" by Garth Brooks from 1991 and a couple of hours ago they spun "She's In Love With The Boy" by Trisha Yearwood from 1991.

Edit: Not sure how much pre-2010s music K102 was playing before, but the music log indicates that they just played "Rodeo" by Garth Brooks from 1991 and a couple of hours ago they spun "She's In Love With The Boy" by Trisha Yearwood from 1991.
    Then again, both headlined a CBS TV special Sunday night, so there may just be some increased interest because of the show.

Moderator/Co-Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBigA View Post
    Then again, both headlined a CBS TV special Sunday night, so there may just be some increased interest because of the show.
    When Stagecoach occurred locally in April, I heard Garth, Trisha and even Dwight Yoacam with Buck!

And with Yoakam doing a duo with Keith Urban, there was talk and airplay the next Monday morning.

Concerts do provide topicality and, occasionally, a chance to play an oldie or two that would not be played normally!

Country and Regional Mexican, which are fundamentally the same format, seem to benefit the most from concert involvement.
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, Billboard, Cash Box, R&R, Record World, Music & Media, Audio, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, Popular Electronics, Studio Sound, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidEduardo View Post

When Stagecoach occurred locally in April, I heard Garth, Trisha and even Dwight Yoacam with Buck!

And with Yoakam doing a duo with Keith Urban, there was talk and airplay the next Monday morning.

Concerts do provide topicality and, occasionally, a chance to play an oldie or two that would not be played normally!

Country and Regional Mexican, which are fundamentally the same format, seem to benefit the most from concert involvement.
    If the Dwight Yoakam/Buck Owens duet you heard was "Streets of Bakersfield," (1988) you heard a wonderful synthesis of country and Mexican -- check out that accordion! Mexican-Americans Johnny Rodriguez and the late Freddy Fender (Baldemar Huertas) also worked elements of their musical heritage into their work, but their hitmaking peaks were in the '70s. I can't think of anyone popular on today's country charts whose music shows any Mexican influence at all.

Moderator/Co-Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by CTListener View Post
    If the Dwight Yoakam/Buck Owens duet you heard was "Streets of Bakersfield," (1988) you heard a wonderful synthesis of country and Mexican -- check out that accordion! Mexican-Americans Johnny Rodriguez and the late Freddy Fender (Baldemar Huertas) also worked elements of their musical heritage into their work, but their hitmaking peaks were in the '70s. I can't think of anyone popular on today's country charts whose music shows any Mexican influence at all.
    I've seen Dwight do "Streets" live on other occasions, and once with Flaco Jiménez which was a great thrill.

Being a fan of Toucanes, Primavera, Tigres and Ramón Ayala, it was always fun to hear the norteña influence on the Bakersfield Sound back then.
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, Billboard, Cash Box, R&R, Record World, Music & Media, Audio, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, Popular Electronics, Studio Sound, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidEduardo View Post

I've seen Dwight do "Streets" live on other occasions, and once with Flaco Jiménez which was a great thrill.

Being a fan of Toucanes, Primavera, Tigres and Ramón Ayala, it was always fun to hear the norteña influence on the Bakersfield Sound back then.
    I've often wished Connecticut would get a station with a Regional Mexican format, but the population just isn't large enough. I used to listen to SiriusXM Aguila channel before it was exiled to the internet in the great downsizing of the Spanish-language channels a few years back. Caribbean genres do little for me, nor does Latino pop, but that's all we get on AM or FM in these parts, and all anyone anywhere gets on satellite, even in the Midwest, Southwest and West where most of the Latino population is Mexican.

In recent hours K102 has played Tim McGraw "Just to See You Smile" from 1997, Brad Paisley "We Danced" from 1999, Nitty Gritty Dirt Band "Fishin in the Dark" from 1987..whether or not they were playing any 80s and 90s music prior to the change at 102.9 they are doing so now.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12