Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BUZ'N 102.9 - 'buzzing off'?

BUZ'N 102.9 - 'buzzing off'?

Shocked no one has posted this yet. Facebook page says they are 'buzzing off' December 3rd at 7:00am.
    https://www.facebook.com/BUZN1029/po...49703911746301

I hint probably a name change based of the time that they are flipping, but I'm not leaving off full format flips. With Love 105 coming back before New Years' (currently in Xmas mode), could MSP see 'Lite FM' 2.0?
    782 AM's in the log, 663 FMs (250 from Western WA), That's a DXer!
    FM, AM and SW DXer of Yakima, WA! God Bless America!
    Last New FM Log: KATW-101.5 Lewiston ID, 6/25/19
    Last New AM Log: 1570 WFRL Freeport IL, 3/3/19

We may have received a hint today. Could this be a pre-emptive strike?

Country Aircheck notes that iHeart's country KEEY launched a couple if country HD stations today:

iHeartMedia/Minneapolis has launched KEEY-HD2 (The Wolf 102.1 HD2) and KDWB-HD3 (The Bull 101.3 HD3). "[The Wolf] is all new – very new – including cuts from today's biggest country [albums], and 'The Bull' is an experiment in pure Country [with] no Pop crossover at all," says OM/PD Gregg Swedberg.

KEEY-HD2 has been new country for a few years...they just renamed it

from northpine.com

iHeartMedia has launched several new brands on Twin Cities HD Radio subchannels days ahead of a competitor's promoted change, potentially blocking them from using several names. The existing "K102 New" Modern Country format on the HD2 signal of KEEY/102.1 has changed its name to "The Wolf," while iHeart has launched another Country format called "The Bull" on the HD3 signal of KDWB/101.3. (K102's main channel is the market's heritage Country outlet.)

"The Bull," which was first reported by RadioInsight, replaces Minnesota State Fair Radio on KDWB-HD3. (Coincidentally, Cumulus' KQRS/92.5 uses yet another animal name, "The Bear," on its HD2 Classic Country channel.)

Meanwhile, a "Breeze" has blown into the Twin Cities on KEEY-HD3. iHeart has been launching the Soft Adult Contemporary format on HD subchannels in numerous markets as the format makes a comeback nationwide. It does not appear that there is an online presence for the Twin Cities Breeze format at this point. KEEY did not previously have an HD3 channel.

The three launches come as Entercom Country outlet "Buz'n @ 102.9" (KMNB) teases a possible change Monday morning at 7 a.m. "The Breeze" competes with KMNB's former "Lite FM" format, now carried on the HD2 signal of KZJK/104.1, and Cumulus is also poised to relaunch AC on the "Love 105" trimulcast after Christmas.

The dummies at Entercom will probably still switch to one of the brand names that iHeart recently adopted, and then just like Entercom had to do with its low rated alternative station in Orlando a year ago, they'll be forced to change names after receiving a C&D letter.

Moderator/Co-Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkW View Post
    The dummies at Entercom will probably still switch to one of the brand names that iHeart recently adopted, and then just like Entercom had to do with its low rated alternative station in Orlando a year ago, they'll be forced to change names after receiving a C&D letter.
    A c&d is only an alternative if the service mark is registered. In the case of The Breeze, this name has been used by multiple broadcast and network operators for some time, and likely can’t be protected save in each individual local market. That’s why iHeart has put so many Breeze stations on HD subchannels... to locally establish prior local upage
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, Billboard, Cash Box, R&R, Record World, Music & Media, Audio, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, Popular Electronics, Studio Sound, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

I recall several years ago when they were rumored to be ready to launch a classic country based format called The Wolf on KQQL 107.9 to go up against a potential competitor. They've also covered their bases this time with the names Wolf, Bull, Breeze on their HD channels. Clearly the format will be country as they would have never played country for the last few days had they not planned to retain the format.
    Last edited by Saladressing; 12-03-2018 at 08:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkW View Post
    The dummies at Entercom will probably still switch to one of the brand names that iHeart recently adopted
    You nailed it bro. "Country hits from then and now, 102.9 The Wolf."

It almost sounds like some sort of a cross promo with the NBA team Minnesota Timberwolves which airs on co owned WCCO-AM, even with the hosts howling, alright then.

K102 will most certainly counter musically just as has occurred in other format clashes in that market in the past such as 93X playing Jimi Hendrix and Boston in response to Rock 100.3 way back in the day. 102.1 will probably have nearly an identical playlist by the end of the week.

They're apparently only going back to the 90s musically but on the morning show are talking about the rich and deep heritage of country music, while not planning to play most of said music. K102 should sprinkle in a 50s to 80s song every two hours and maybe they will. Not a fan of country myself so I won't be around to find out.

First 3 songs
    Luke Combs "Best of Me" from 2017
    Kenny Chesney "She Thinks My Tractor's Sexy" from 1999
    Eli Love Band "Love Aint" from 2018

While certainly far from a classic country outlet I'd be curious as to how many if any stations in top 20 markets regularly delve into 90s product or even stuff from more than a few years ago. If that number is next to zero, this could be a positive change.
    Last edited by Saladressing; 12-03-2018 at 09:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Saladressing View Post
    You nailed it bro. "Country hits from then and now, 102.9 The Wolf."

It almost sounds like some sort of a cross promo with the NBA team Minnesota Timberwolves which airs on co owned WCCO-AM, even with the hosts howling, alright then.

K102 will most certainly counter musically just as has occurred in other format clashes in that market in the past such as 93X playing Jimi Hendrix and Boston in response to Rock 100.3 way back in the day. 102.1 will probably have nearly an identical playlist by the end of the week.

They're apparently only going back to the 90s musically but on the morning show are talking about the rich and deep heritage of country music, while not planning to play most of said music. K102 should sprinkle in a 50s to 80s song every two hours and maybe they will. Not a fan of country myself so I won't be around to find out.

First 3 songs
    Luke Combs "Best of Me" from 2017
    Kenny Chesney "She Thinks My Tractor's Sexy" from 1999
    Eli Love Band "Love Aint" from 2018

While certainly far from a classic country outlet I'd be curious as to how many if any stations in top 20 markets regularly delve into 90s product or even stuff from more than a few years ago. If that number is next to zero, this could be a positive change.
    Country music started its evolution to its current form in the late '90s. The "new traditionalist" sound of earlier in the decade (Randy Travis, Patty Loveless, Clint Black, etc.) probably wouldn't work on a station that goes back only as far as Kenny Chesney. Generally speaking, almost any big hit from 1997 or so to the present would be a safe choice to include on the playlist, or at least put out for audience testing.

The format looks similar to Cumulus Nash Icon, combining currents & classics. They've blown up their Twitter & Facebook sites.

https://radioink.com/2018/12/03/new-...e-twin-cities/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast