• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

BUZ'N 102.9 - 'buzzing off'?

crainbebo

Walk of Fame Participant
Shocked no one has posted this yet. Facebook page says they are 'buzzing off' December 3rd at 7:00am.
https://www.facebook.com/BUZN1029/posts/2149703911746301

I hint probably a name change based of the time that they are flipping, but I'm not leaving off full format flips. With Love 105 coming back before New Years' (currently in Xmas mode), could MSP see 'Lite FM' 2.0?

We may have received a hint today. Could this be a pre-emptive strike?

Country Aircheck notes that iHeart's country KEEY launched a couple if country HD stations today:

iHeartMedia/Minneapolis has launched KEEY-HD2 (The Wolf 102.1 HD2) and KDWB-HD3 (The Bull 101.3 HD3). "[The Wolf] is all new – very new – including cuts from today's biggest country [albums], and 'The Bull' is an experiment in pure Country [with] no Pop crossover at all," says OM/PD Gregg Swedberg.

from northpine.com

iHeartMedia has launched several new brands on Twin Cities HD Radio subchannels days ahead of a competitor's promoted change, potentially blocking them from using several names. The existing "K102 New" Modern Country format on the HD2 signal of KEEY/102.1 has changed its name to "The Wolf," while iHeart has launched another Country format called "The Bull" on the HD3 signal of KDWB/101.3. (K102's main channel is the market's heritage Country outlet.)

"The Bull," which was first reported by RadioInsight, replaces Minnesota State Fair Radio on KDWB-HD3. (Coincidentally, Cumulus' KQRS/92.5 uses yet another animal name, "The Bear," on its HD2 Classic Country channel.)

Meanwhile, a "Breeze" has blown into the Twin Cities on KEEY-HD3. iHeart has been launching the Soft Adult Contemporary format on HD subchannels in numerous markets as the format makes a comeback nationwide. It does not appear that there is an online presence for the Twin Cities Breeze format at this point. KEEY did not previously have an HD3 channel.

The three launches come as Entercom Country outlet "Buz'n @ 102.9" (KMNB) teases a possible change Monday morning at 7 a.m. "The Breeze" competes with KMNB's former "Lite FM" format, now carried on the HD2 signal of KZJK/104.1, and Cumulus is also poised to relaunch AC on the "Love 105" trimulcast after Christmas.

The dummies at Entercom will probably still switch to one of the brand names that iHeart recently adopted, and then just like Entercom had to do with its low rated alternative station in Orlando a year ago, they'll be forced to change names after receiving a C&D letter.

The dummies at Entercom will probably still switch to one of the brand names that iHeart recently adopted, and then just like Entercom had to do with its low rated alternative station in Orlando a year ago, they'll be forced to change names after receiving a C&D letter.

A c&d is only an alternative if the service mark is registered. In the case of The Breeze, this name has been used by multiple broadcast and network operators for some time, and likely can’t be protected save in each individual local market. That’s why iHeart has put so many Breeze stations on HD subchannels... to locally establish prior local upage

I recall several years ago when they were rumored to be ready to launch a classic country based format called The Wolf on KQQL 107.9 to go up against a potential competitor. They've also covered their bases this time with the names Wolf, Bull, Breeze on their HD channels. Clearly the format will be country as they would have never played country for the last few days had they not planned to retain the format.

Last edited:
The dummies at Entercom will probably still switch to one of the brand names that iHeart recently adopted

You nailed it bro. "Country hits from then and now, 102.9 The Wolf."

It almost sounds like some sort of a cross promo with the NBA team Minnesota Timberwolves which airs on co owned WCCO-AM, even with the hosts howling, alright then.

K102 will most certainly counter musically just as has occurred in other format clashes in that market in the past such as 93X playing Jimi Hendrix and Boston in response to Rock 100.3 way back in the day. 102.1 will probably have nearly an identical playlist by the end of the week.

They're apparently only going back to the 90s musically but on the morning show are talking about the rich and deep heritage of country music, while not planning to play most of said music. K102 should sprinkle in a 50s to 80s song every two hours and maybe they will. Not a fan of country myself so I won't be around to find out.

First 3 songs
Luke Combs "Best of Me" from 2017
Kenny Chesney "She Thinks My Tractor's Sexy" from 1999
Eli Love Band "Love Aint" from 2018

While certainly far from a classic country outlet I'd be curious as to how many if any stations in top 20 markets regularly delve into 90s product or even stuff from more than a few years ago. If that number is next to zero, this could be a positive change.

Last edited:
You nailed it bro. "Country hits from then and now, 102.9 The Wolf."

It almost sounds like some sort of a cross promo with the NBA team Minnesota Timberwolves which airs on co owned WCCO-AM, even with the hosts howling, alright then.

K102 will most certainly counter musically just as has occurred in other format clashes in that market in the past such as 93X playing Jimi Hendrix and Boston in response to Rock 100.3 way back in the day. 102.1 will probably have nearly an identical playlist by the end of the week.

They're apparently only going back to the 90s musically but on the morning show are talking about the rich and deep heritage of country music, while not planning to play most of said music. K102 should sprinkle in a 50s to 80s song every two hours and maybe they will. Not a fan of country myself so I won't be around to find out.

First 3 songs
Luke Combs "Best of Me" from 2017
Kenny Chesney "She Thinks My Tractor's Sexy" from 1999
Eli Love Band "Love Aint" from 2018

While certainly far from a classic country outlet I'd be curious as to how many if any stations in top 20 markets regularly delve into 90s product or even stuff from more than a few years ago. If that number is next to zero, this could be a positive change.

Country music started its evolution to its current form in the late '90s. The "new traditionalist" sound of earlier in the decade (Randy Travis, Patty Loveless, Clint Black, etc.) probably wouldn't work on a station that goes back only as far as Kenny Chesney. Generally speaking, almost any big hit from 1997 or so to the present would be a safe choice to include on the playlist, or at least put out for audience testing.

While certainly far from a classic country outlet I'd be curious as to how many if any stations in top 20 markets regularly delve into 90s product or even stuff from more than a few years ago.

You can't swing a cat in Houston or Dallas without hitting a couple of 90s George Strait tunes on Country radio. Usually one or two gold titles an hour.

It's not unusual in markets where there are two country stations for one to go heavy with currents, and the other to broaden things out with more Gold. One example is St. Louis. The intent being to differentiate from KEEY. Typically its the heritage station that plays more Gold, but Entercom sees an opening with the Wolf. It's branding they use in other markets, including Seattle.

There's a resurgence in 90s country going on now, promoted by a lot of popular artists such as Dierks Bentley, who featured a 90s Night at his Seven Peaks Festival over the summer. He also has his own 90s cover band called Hot Country Knights. Thomas Rhett wrote a song recorded by Jason Aldean titled "1994," in which the chorus sings about Joe Diffie. Certainly last night's CBS TV special featuring Garth Brooks shows there's still interest in his music. So their timing is good, and it might work for listeners who tire of a heavy rotation of currents on KEEY.

This is a nice station alongside K102, as the new station appears to be playing gold dating back to the 1980s, and even some Johnny Cash. One way or another iHeart will probably counter the move. While HD to FM translator stations are weak-signaled perhaps a full time classic country based format on one of those may be in the cards.

Edit: Not sure how much pre-2010s music K102 was playing before, but the music log indicates that they just played "Rodeo" by Garth Brooks from 1991 and a couple of hours ago they spun "She's In Love With The Boy" by Trisha Yearwood from 1991.

Edit: Not sure how much pre-2010s music K102 was playing before, but the music log indicates that they just played "Rodeo" by Garth Brooks from 1991 and a couple of hours ago they spun "She's In Love With The Boy" by Trisha Yearwood from 1991.

Then again, both headlined a CBS TV special Sunday night, so there may just be some increased interest because of the show.

Then again, both headlined a CBS TV special Sunday night, so there may just be some increased interest because of the show.

When Stagecoach occurred locally in April, I heard Garth, Trisha and even Dwight Yoacam with Buck!

And with Yoakam doing a duo with Keith Urban, there was talk and airplay the next Monday morning.

Concerts do provide topicality and, occasionally, a chance to play an oldie or two that would not be played normally!

Country and Regional Mexican, which are fundamentally the same format, seem to benefit the most from concert involvement.

When Stagecoach occurred locally in April, I heard Garth, Trisha and even Dwight Yoacam with Buck!

And with Yoakam doing a duo with Keith Urban, there was talk and airplay the next Monday morning.

Concerts do provide topicality and, occasionally, a chance to play an oldie or two that would not be played normally!

Country and Regional Mexican, which are fundamentally the same format, seem to benefit the most from concert involvement.

If the Dwight Yoakam/Buck Owens duet you heard was "Streets of Bakersfield," (1988) you heard a wonderful synthesis of country and Mexican -- check out that accordion! Mexican-Americans Johnny Rodriguez and the late Freddy Fender (Baldemar Huertas) also worked elements of their musical heritage into their work, but their hitmaking peaks were in the '70s. I can't think of anyone popular on today's country charts whose music shows any Mexican influence at all.

If the Dwight Yoakam/Buck Owens duet you heard was "Streets of Bakersfield," (1988) you heard a wonderful synthesis of country and Mexican -- check out that accordion! Mexican-Americans Johnny Rodriguez and the late Freddy Fender (Baldemar Huertas) also worked elements of their musical heritage into their work, but their hitmaking peaks were in the '70s. I can't think of anyone popular on today's country charts whose music shows any Mexican influence at all.

I've seen Dwight do "Streets" live on other occasions, and once with Flaco Jiménez which was a great thrill.

Being a fan of Toucanes, Primavera, Tigres and Ramón Ayala, it was always fun to hear the norteña influence on the Bakersfield Sound back then.

I've seen Dwight do "Streets" live on other occasions, and once with Flaco Jiménez which was a great thrill.

Being a fan of Toucanes, Primavera, Tigres and Ramón Ayala, it was always fun to hear the norteña influence on the Bakersfield Sound back then.

I've often wished Connecticut would get a station with a Regional Mexican format, but the population just isn't large enough. I used to listen to SiriusXM Aguila channel before it was exiled to the internet in the great downsizing of the Spanish-language channels a few years back. Caribbean genres do little for me, nor does Latino pop, but that's all we get on AM or FM in these parts, and all anyone anywhere gets on satellite, even in the Midwest, Southwest and West where most of the Latino population is Mexican.

In recent hours K102 has played Tim McGraw "Just to See You Smile" from 1997, Brad Paisley "We Danced" from 1999, Nitty Gritty Dirt Band "Fishin in the Dark" from 1987..whether or not they were playing any 80s and 90s music prior to the change at 102.9 they are doing so now.

iHeart must be scared of competition. This summer I noticed KQQL began adding some songs that Love 105 had been playing since their launch in late December.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom