• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

New Catholic Network Expresses Interest in Buying Stations in the Area

Barry

Star Participant
The fledgling Veritas Catholic Network is buying its first station, WNLK 1350 AM, located in nearby Norwalk CT. An article linked below states the buyer is "optimistic the network will be able to expand to Westchester County and New York City and then to the entire state of Connecticut."
Perhaps they may be interested in some of the local stations that could be for sale, such as WRKL AM in Pomona, WFAS AM in Hartsdale, or even WLIB AM in New York City? I hope the list does not include WXPK FM in White Plains, AKA The Peak.

Article: https://www.bridgeportdiocese.org/ridgefield-man-to-bring-catholic-radio-to-fairfield-county/

Maybe they can buy WRCR 1700. As for Connecticut they can buy WPOP 1410-AM in Hartford from iHeart. No one will miss that station if they were to disappear. Ratings alternate between 0.1 and N/A. Only local programming on WPOP is Football and Basketball from Central Connecticut State University and Hartford Wolfpack Hockey. (The latter being the Ranger's AHL team).

Maybe they can buy WRCR 1700. As for Connecticut they can buy WPOP 1410-AM in Hartford from iHeart. No one will miss that station if they were to disappear. Ratings alternate between 0.1 and N/A. Only local programming on WPOP is Football and Basketball from Central Connecticut State University and Hartford Wolfpack Hockey. (The latter being the Ranger's AHL team).
Why would they buy a station with a horrible signal?

Why would they buy a station with a horrible signal?

They bought WNLK 1350-AM in Norwalk (1000 watts day/500 night). Who would else would they buy in Hartford? I doubt Full Power Radio would sell The Talk of Connecticut (WDRC/WSNG/WMMW). Better not be WLAT 910/101.7 I listen to that station even if I'm not in the right demographic. I doubt any FMs in the market would be for sale, but I'm against that too. Hartford doesn't have enough commercial stations and we already had a Commercial Station go non-commercial in 2014 when K-LOVE bought 106.9 FM.

The map linked below indicates that Veritas has ambitious plans. Whether they can actually obtain the funds to buy in all six of the areas that it depicts is unclear.
I'm particularly interested in what they may have in mind for Westchester County, NY/NYC.
It seems highly unlikely that anyone would be interested in buying WRCR 1700 AM. At this point it is more of a goal than an actual station, as they do not even have a site to set up towers.

Big Plans: http://www.veritascatholic.com/our-coverage-plan

The map linked below indicates that Veritas has ambitious plans. Whether they can actually obtain the funds to buy in all six of the areas that it depicts is unclear.
I'm particularly interested in what they may have in mind for Westchester County, NY/NYC.
It seems highly unlikely that anyone would be interested in buying WRCR 1700 AM. At this point it is more of a goal than an actual station, as they do not even have a site to set up towers.

Big Plans: http://www.veritascatholic.com/our-coverage-plan

Wow. Well let me say this. They need to put on their pajamas because they are dreaming.

Wow. Well let me say this. They need to put on their pajamas because they are dreaming.

I am sure that the current owners of some of those dog AMs that they have their eyes on would be willing sellers. It's a real buyers' market for local and regional AMs...

If I read those maps correctly, at least one of the circles (as opposed to an oval for directional) may require a transmitter in the middle of Long Island Sound. And I am not sure that there is any station in the Norwich area that has the coverage they are hoping for in heir circle.

The ovals on their proposed coverage map are probably very rough approximations of the areas Veritias believes it could cover.
Don't know whether it is for sale, but I believe that brokered WNYH 740 AM in Huntington NY during daytime hours can provide coverage of much of central Long Island and southern CT. The problem is that at night their signal has to be cut way back. WBWD 540 AM in Islip NY is another similar situation.

I could see Cumulus selling 1230/WFAS in White Plains to them. It's basically run as a stand-alone birdfeed of CBS Sports Radio.

This outfit sounds like St. Joseph Missions, the group that bought 3 stations here in Pittsburgh from Sheridan Broadcasting when they started to go belly-up.

Their programming consists of really deep Inside Baseball stuff about the Catholic Church that most typical Catholics (including me) can barely follow. For sure it holds next to no appeal for non-Catholic listeners.

If they had a book it would probably reflect something like a 0.0001% share.
But hey, it's their money.

Last edited:
The site InsideRadio mentions that the sale of WNLK to Radio Veritas has closed, for around $300,000. Included is FCC authorization to build a translator on 103.9 FM. Programming will consist primarily (or maybe entirely) of a rebroadcast of EWTN.
An article in a local paper states that the owner of WGCH AM 1490 in Greenwich CT wants to sell, and has had offers from religious broadcasters. He stated his preference would be for someone else to purchase the station, and maintain secular programming.

He stated his preference would be for someone else to purchase the station, and maintain secular programming.

The WGCH guy should take the biggest check and move on. The price on these properties is falling, not rising...especially for a high on the dial, low powered graveyard station in a over saturated radio market.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom