Thanksgiving radio “tradition” ending? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thanksgiving radio “tradition” ending?

Quote Originally Posted by raccoonradio View Post
    Josh played it Sun morning on WMWM
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FeMiy1djrJY The version of Alice's Restaurant you probably won't hear on the radio, except through DJs like me.No monologue, just music. A #97 hit
    How long does the music-only version run? Under 4 minutes? Under 3? I haven't listened to the full cut in many years, but it seems to me that Guthrie's rambling recitation takes up well over 20 minutes.

As a native Bostonian who's never quite understood the bizarre tradition of playing this thing at all, let alone on Thanksgiving, may I ask those of you who do look forward to hearing it why you do? If I were to drive up to Northampton and pick up some newly legal marijuana product, then go home, use it, then listen to "Alice's Restaurant," would I be more likely to enjoy it? I haven't touched pot since my long-ago college days, so its effects on my musical perception and appreciation are a faded memory now, 40+ years later.

It's 4 min or so and recorded separately from the original version, which was before a live audience. 1969 not 67.

The live versions he's done are full of humor and exaggeration. One version talks about registering for Selective Service, "and you can select whatever branch, or they'll select for you".
    Arlo contends he may not be moral enough to go and kill the enemy for his country after committing the crime...of being a litterbug. Hippie nostalgia.The Motorcycle Song is good too. "I was goin' 60 miles an hour and 150 feet down at the same time..."
    Last edited by raccoonradio; 11-21-2018 at 06:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by raccoonradio View Post
    It's 4 min or so and recorded separately from the original version, which was before a live audience. 1969 not 67.
    The movie was released in 1969, but the album with the extended version came out in September 1967.

The littering crime took place on Thanksgiving.
    Wikipedia:"Two years after the album came out, Guthrie released "Alice's Rock & Roll Restaurant" as a single—a much shorter (4:43) tune that incorporated the chorus, removed the entire monologue, used a significantly different arrangement, and added extra verses (all of which do little but advertise the restaurant). It peaked at #97 on the Billboard singles chart.It has become a tradition for many classic rock radio stations to play the song each Thanksgiving."

Quote Originally Posted by CTListener View Post
    How long does the music-only version run? Under 4 minutes? Under 3? I haven't listened to the full cut in many years, but it seems to me that Guthrie's rambling recitation takes up well over 20 minutes.

As a native Bostonian who's never quite understood the bizarre tradition of playing this thing at all, let alone on Thanksgiving, may I ask those of you who do look forward to hearing it why you do? If I were to drive up to Northampton and pick up some newly legal marijuana product, then go home, use it, then listen to "Alice's Restaurant," would I be more likely to enjoy it? I haven't touched pot since my long-ago college days, so its effects on my musical perception and appreciation are a faded memory now, 40+ years later.
    The equally strange tradition of playing the 1812 Overture at Independence Day concerts started here also.

One Thanksgiving tradition hasn't ended.

It's a holiday weekend, so 1200's running Wednesday's weather forecast at the bottom of the hour to go with their stale news.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Cap-n Spackle View Post
    One Thanksgiving tradition hasn't ended.

It's a holiday weekend, so 1200's running Wednesday's weather forecast at the bottom of the hour to go with their stale news.
    "iHeart happens."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12