• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

KLSY changes col

bobdavcav

Star Participant
I just saw in the Radio Insight FCC applications that KLSY is seeking a city of license change to Bellfair. While I understand why this might happen in certain cases, I can't see it here if they're not planning to move the actual transmitter. Even if they were, I can't picture any sites closer to Seattle they could move to. About the only move I could see is to the relatively recently constructed antenna of KXXO with the same power level. Not sure that would gain them much though.

I bought a 1973 Volvo 1800ES out in Belfair. Beautiful area out there. Only a half hour to Bremerton, if I recall.

Don’t be surprised if this precludes a move to Gold Mountain or something similar. As a Seattle radio owner, I’d much rather have a C2 signal from Gold Mountain than a class C on the other side of Olympia.

They're not changing the transmitter site anytime soon, AFAIK.

I guess they just want something more "local" sounding than at the top of the hour than Montesano. Might up the resale value a few bucks too.

Or maybe "Healthy Mountain" (the Spanish translation of "Monte Sano") just sounds weird.

Second, I'm not even sure if they can move to Gold Mountain because of how cramped they are as second adjacent to KUBE and KSWD and co-channel CJJR to the north without a power drop that couldn't be made up in HAAT. It looks awfully tricky.

They're not changing the transmitter site anytime soon, AFAIK.

I guess they just want something more "local" sounding than at the top of the hour than Montesano. Might up the resale value a few bucks too.

Or maybe "Healthy Mountain" (the Spanish translation of "Monte Sano") just sounds weird.

Second, I'm not even sure if they can move to Gold Mountain because of how cramped they are as second adjacent to KUBE and KSWD and co-channel CJJR to the north without a power drop that couldn't be made up in HAAT. It looks awfully tricky.

I don't have any ability to map this out to see if it can be done, but my guess is they could probably end up on Gold Mountain as a C2 and have a coverage area (with similar directionality to the north) not much different than KYFQ 91.7.

My guess is Belfair could be a COL with a non-directional C3 as well.

Regardless, the end result of a Gold Mountain move is much better coverage west of Lake Washington. Whether it would cover the overall market better is yet to be seen.

Last edited:
The fact that CFC has gone to the expense of doing a rather tricky FCC dodge of changing the COL from Montesano proves that there is a move in their future. But I don't think it's an attempt to increase coverage. I think CFC wants off that expensive and tough to maintain site at South Mountain.

And I also suspect that the owners of the South Mountain facility would be happy to have KLSY off their stick. That tower has to be groaning with the mass of metal from the existing rim shots. It would probably be an issue to host another move in there from Grays Harbor. And another tower just to service existing business may not pencil out.

Montesano is too far south of the new site they've already chosen. That pesky local 70 dBu contour has to cover the COL. Moving northeast at a lower power makes Belfair a much better COL. Somebody out there already knows where this is going to land, and I could probably make an educated guess. But I'd rather speculate with the rest of you rather than dig into the software and find likely towers that they might move to.

It's also possible that KLSY has been asked to move off South Mountain because rumor has it that CFC has a relaxed attitude about monthly payments.

The fact that CFC has gone to the expense of doing a rather tricky FCC dodge of changing the COL from Montesano proves that there is a move in their future. But I don't think it's an attempt to increase coverage. I think CFC wants off that expensive and tough to maintain site at South Mountain.

And I also suspect that the owners of the South Mountain facility would be happy to have KLSY off their stick. That tower has to be groaning with the mass of metal from the existing rim shots. It would probably be an issue to host another move in there from Grays Harbor. And another tower just to service existing business may not pencil out.

Montesano is too far south of the new site they've already chosen. That pesky local 70 dBu contour has to cover the COL. Moving northeast at a lower power makes Belfair a much better COL. Somebody out there already knows where this is going to land, and I could probably make an educated guess. But I'd rather speculate with the rest of you rather than dig into the software and find likely towers that they might move to.

It's also possible that KLSY has been asked to move off South Mountain because rumor has it that CFC has a relaxed attitude about monthly payments.

On a third hand, there's a rimshot on Mt. Hood, attempting to serve Portland that used to be licensed to Cherryville, a community that doesn't actually exist. The closest it comes is that there's a Cherryville Road. Several years ago, they changed the COL to Sandy OR because, as they pointed out in their filing, "Cherryville doesn't actually exist!". They have never changed the facility and because of spacing concerns, I don't believe they can.

Wow interesting, didn't know that about KZRI. There's an LPFM in Montana that is licensed that way as well, to Cell Site, even though there's no community by that name. I guess the same can be said for the 101.1 in Magneson Park, that's where it's licensed to even though that's just a neighborhood within Seattle.

If you compare the current predicted coverage of KLSY at 28KWerp and compare it to the predicted coverage of KYFQ from Gold Mtn at 4.3KWerp. Which signal would you want? The one with the larger power bill or the one with the smaller.

LPFMs and Translators don't need to cover their community of license. Any community can be used, even just a local name for a crossing or a neighborhood. I chose Magnuson Park as the COL because that's where they are. They certainly don't serve Seattle, just a nick of it.

When the LPFM frenzy of filing happened, a lot of engineers chose low profile community names to reduce the flood of objections from 'concerned citizens.'

Got an LPFM that you want to use to impress the uninformed? License it to Los Angeles or New York City. Doesn't matter where it is, the FCC doesn't care.

However, full power stations have to actually cover their COL with a City Grade signal. Naturally, now that KLSY is moving to Belfair, they will have to shift all of their deep, deep local coverage of all things Montesano to give that same attention to Belfair.

Will be interesting if they do file for a new TX location down the road. They need a big pry bar to fit it in at Gold Mtn. Will be interesting to see it play out.

The only other option I can think is possibly REALLY low power on Cougar. Which might give Everett another FM opening.

Cougar is impossible. Too many homes up there means no 'zero population' waivers. Puts it inside two Seattle protected contours and way short spaced to several existing stations.

Could squeeze in along the western fringes of the metro. Maybe the KTVW site. Since this a commercial channel, contours AND minimum spacing come into play even though the station for now is noncom.

If KLSY does move a bit closer, I wonder what this will mean for KNTB and their FM translator, and KBRO with their soon-to-be FM translator since they are all carrying the same programming?

If KLSY does move a bit closer, I wonder what this will mean for KNTB and their FM translator, and KBRO with their soon-to-be FM translator since they are all carrying the same programming?

This subject came up in July of '17, when KKDZ was selling to the owners of KZIZ:

As Kelly pointed out:

"From 7 FCC 92-361:

For stations in the same service whose principal community contours overlap such that the overlap area constitutes more than 50 percent
of either station's principal community contour area. simulcasting may not exceed 25 percent of either station's daily broadcast time.

These rules apply both to stations commonly owned and to those separately owned but time brokered."

------------------------------

Whatever KLSY's plans might be, I don't see how this rule would be violated, since it's not "same service"

BTW... while their stations do commonly carry some percentage of the same programming (I haven't listened enough to know what that is lately), the studio that feeds those AM stations, including their Idaho operation, is separate from KLSY's. They also have studios in Yakima, Sunnyside, Pasco and Othello, all independent and capable of feeding separate programming to any combination of their stations, AM and/or FM. It wouldn't be difficult for them to vary their programming, if an overlap issue was to occur.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom