• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

KKDJ Fresno

There seem to be a good amount of inside radio people in these forums. Can someone explain to a casual listener why radio seems so hit and miss in Fresno? It sure would be nice to hear good shows consistently instead of jumping around from 88.1 to 90.7 to 99.7 to AM and then finally XM all the time. No Jim Rome. I've yet to find a good local sports show. 88.1 has some good music shows but they lean so far left the rest of the time. KMJ is kooky the other way. 90.7 is good sometimes and I do like some of the jazz and weekend shows but then it's like Armenian music sometimes. Sure would be nice to get quality shows like American Crossroads or Blues By The Bay or The Soul Kitchen or the Tiki Lounge Playhouse consistently on one channel. Is this an advertising thing? Do stations pay for these shows? How does this work? Why does there seem to be so little consistently from anyone? I almost need a calendar on my dashboard. Is there a radio calendar app? I moved back here ten years ago. It's gotten a little better locally but not good enough to cancel XM. Any other good stations aside from the cookie cutter crap?

There seem to be a good amount of inside radio people in these forums. Can someone explain to a casual listener why radio seems so hit and miss in Fresno? It sure would be nice to hear good shows consistently instead of jumping around from 88.1 to 90.7 to 99.7 to AM and then finally XM all the time. No Jim Rome. I've yet to find a good local sports show. 88.1 has some good music shows but they lean so far left the rest of the time. KMJ is kooky the other way. 90.7 is good sometimes and I do like some of the jazz and weekend shows but then it's like Armenian music sometimes. Sure would be nice to get quality shows like American Crossroads or Blues By The Bay or The Soul Kitchen or the Tiki Lounge Playhouse consistently on one channel. Is this an advertising thing? Do stations pay for these shows? How does this work? Why does there seem to be so little consistently from anyone? I almost need a calendar on my dashboard. Is there a radio calendar app? I moved back here ten years ago. It's gotten a little better locally but not good enough to cancel XM. Any other good stations aside from the cookie cutter crap?

Nope, Radio overall in Fresno sucks, not enough Rock choices, no true Alt Classics, all the same 300 Classic rock songs over and over and over and other than that multiple stations playing Hip-Hop and R&B, and more Spanish Language stations than Mexico City.
I stream almost all my music from out of town, Seattle is a good Radio Market.

Nope, Radio overall in Fresno sucks, not enough Rock choices, no true Alt Classics, all the same 300 Classic rock songs over and over and over and other than that multiple stations playing Hip-Hop and R&B, and more Spanish Language stations than Mexico City.
I stream almost all my music from out of town, Seattle is a good Radio Market.

I couldn't of said it better myself!!

The problem is that there is not enough of an audience in Fresno for most rock oriented formats due to the changed ethnicity of the market.

Fresno is 53% Hispanic, nearly 12% Asian and about 6% African American. That leaves less than 30% non-Hispanic white, many of which are country, classic hits or AC fans or partisans of talk or NPR and the like.

Rock formats under-index among those ethnic groups, so there is just not a big enough listener base.

P.S. Mexico City has nearly 70 radio stations. Fresno, including rimshots, has 56 and just 16 of those are in Spanish.

Last edited:

The problem is that there is not enough of an audience in Fresno for most rock oriented formats due to the changed ethnicity of the market.

Fresno is 53% Hispanic, nearly 12% Asian and about 6% African American. That leaves less than 30% non-Hispanic white, many of which are country, classic hits or AC fans or partisans of talk or NPR and the like.

Rock formats under-index among those ethnic groups, so there is just not a big enough listener base.

P.S. Mexico City has nearly 70 radio stations. Fresno, including rimshots, has 56 and just 16 of those are in Spanish.

DUH!

In the Soul Kitchen is on 88.1, Saturdays 2-4pm. I too miss Jim Rome and I have suggested to 940 that maybe they should carry CBS sports instead of ESPN radio. We have great local sports shows with Tony D'addato and Christoper Gabriel they cover the Bulldogs better that some big league cities cover their teams.

As far as music radio or non sports related talk it seems to just about suck everywhere most of the time. I have enjoyed KPIG but stations like that are the exception to the rule.

I’m not a Rome guy,but I will say CBS is 110% better than ESPN. ESPN has been garbage,IMO for about the last 15 years.

Yep, I know the demos, I do give credit for KJWL 105.5 for bringing back those 80s new wave hits, and KKDJ 99.7 when Dean Opperman's playlist is used, the FOX though needs to upgrade like KLOS 94.7 and KHKK 104.1.

I couldn't of said it better myself!

Really interesting info here. In regards to the demographics. It sure sounds very compartmentalized to my thinking. Granted it might not be half of the Hispanic listeners but there is certainly a portion of that demo who are rock listeners.

Yes on the CBS Sports. KNBR is still my top listen for sports for now KKDJ has been sounding way better to me lately but I'm not listening after five. Dean AND Don today was really great. A flood of thoughts and feelings and memories. Too bad the reception is so poor on the radio. I can't see why anyone would listen to the Fox or the Blaze with what they are playing at KKDJ if the reception was good. But I love variety and new stuff. That station sounds alive to me when and where I can hear it.

Really interesting info here. In regards to the demographics. It sure sounds very compartmentalized to my thinking. Granted it might not be half of the Hispanic listeners but there is certainly a portion of that demo who are rock listeners.

Note that I mentioned that Hispanics (and other ethnic groups) "underindex" in using rock radio. That means, that while some Hispanics do listen, far fewer listen and those that do listen less time than what Nielsen calls "other" which is basically Non-Hispanic white folks and Asians in Fresno.

More than half the listening by Hispanics in Fresno is to Spanish language radio. And that listening is predominantly to Regional Mexican stations... listeners who would likely never listen to any form of rock programming.

Of the remaining half of Hispanics, there is far less listening to rock than there is among Non-Hispanic whites. Way less.

Generally, the Hispanic listeners to rock are later-generation folks... think "Jerry Garcia" and people who are very highly assimilated.

And, while English language rock is very quite in Mexico and Latin America, the listeners to rock based stations are predominantly upper and middle income people... and those groups don't generally emigrate.

KKDJ reunion show was great

Note that I mentioned that Hispanics (and other ethnic groups) "underindex" in using rock radio. That means, that while some Hispanics do listen, far fewer listen and those that do listen less time than what Nielsen calls "other" which is basically Non-Hispanic white folks and Asians in Fresno.

More than half the listening by Hispanics in Fresno is to Spanish language radio. And that listening is predominantly to Regional Mexican stations... listeners who would likely never listen to any form of rock programming.

Of the remaining half of Hispanics, there is far less listening to rock than there is among Non-Hispanic whites. Way less.

Generally, the Hispanic listeners to rock are later-generation folks... think "Jerry Garcia" and people who are very highly assimilated.

And, while English language rock is very quite in Mexico and Latin America, the listeners to rock based stations are predominantly upper and middle income people... and those groups don't generally emigrate.

Hats off to Dean and staff at KKDJ. Without a doubt the best radio in Fresno. What a privilege to have these two great talents on the radio together. I phoned Dean this morning and ask how did he pull this off. He stated that he and Don are getting along and also told me that Management gave their blessing to do whatever they wanted on air!
Wow kudos to Cocola Mgmt.
Hopefully this can become an ongoing thing from time to time.I listened for two hours in my car 6:30 on via the app on my phone. I noticed their streaming sounds so much better that others, don’t know how they are achieving that.

Dean and Don sounded great together and I’m sure I can speak for a few of us on hear in saying we welcome more of them together in the future. Great music,Dean and Don with the rest of the gang (Chub,Aunt Penny, Bobby), not only is that what radio used to be but also what FRESNO used to be.

Dean and Don sounded great together and I’m sure I can speak for a few of us on hear in saying we welcome more of them together in the future. Great music,Dean and Don with the rest of the gang (Chub,Aunt Penny, Bobby), not only is that what radio used to be but also what FRESNO used to be.

The memories only served to reinforce that there was a day when radio mattered, as Dean would say, there was this "community" that came about because of KKDJ. Fresno then was linked then not by KMJ's rants, but KKDJ's sense of making sense out of a broad spectrum of music and what was happening in this city and why it was important.

What I noticed today was something of a residual effect - Dean was on target. And, can we pass on some words for "Skip" - the music today on his show was just killer.

Life is good for those who're listening and for those who're not, hope they're enjoying the every other hour rotation on Hells Bells over at the Fox or the same burned out Coldplay on 104.1.

Ok enough of being a cheerleader, but this IS good radio. Enjoy while you can.

Demographics And KKDJ

Thanks. Your thoughtful post helps to clarify it better. So how much do you think is "way less" of that remaining half? 20 percent?

Been a long time since Ive been afraid to turn a radio station off for half a day because I might miss something. Not since the KKDJ of the 80s. I thought i heard Dean say one day it was an experiment. Hope they patent it. I read someone said "Enjoy it while you can." Don't jinx it!! The crazy cool stuff they are playing makes me smile a lot during the day. But I laughed really really hard during that Dean AND Don show and that old wake up phone call recording today cracked me up.

Life is good for those who're listening and for those who're not, hope they're enjoying the every other hour rotation on Hells Bells over at the Fox or the same burned out Coldplay on 104.1.

I got in about 15 minutes today, sure wish there was some podcasting, but with that signal it's gone before I can get the seat right in the truck.

You know we all praise and give kudos to Dean for all his hard work with KKDJ and rightfully so ,but let us not overlook all the equally hard work “Skip” does on air and off air and I know Dean would be the first to give a hug and say “thank you brother” and I would be second inline to echo those sentiments,so “thank you brother”

I got in about 15 minutes today, sure wish there was some podcasting, but with that signal it's gone before I can get the seat right in the truck.
If you have a smartphone they have their own app it’s free it’s Kkdj. If not get tune in app it’s free as well type in kkdj and you can hear it that way. When I plug my phone into my car radio their streaming seems to sound better than others I don’t know why but it’s clear.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom