• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Sebastian Gorka to launch new show on Salem in 2019

He's replacing Michael Medved 3-6pm. Medved moves "to a new platform." Presumably this will be a Podcast, as is the case with Michael Savage. I wonder how much of an audience there is for all these Podcasts. One of the prime values of talk radio is that it's live and up to the minute.

It's on-demand radio. How much audience? Depends on the host. If the host has an established fan base, and people want to hear him, they'll seek out and subscribe to the podcast. Since leaving TV, Bill O'Reilly has devoted his attention to his podcast. Now Laura Ingraham is leaving daily radio for a podcast. Some of these podcasts are getting bigger audiences than talk radio stations. Then again, we're comparing national numbers with local, so they should be larger. The problem with Medved and Savage is their audiences are getting older. So they're being replaced by younger hosts. Medved with Gorka, who appeals to the current Trump fans, and Savage with Ben Shapiro. In fact, it was the popularity of Ben's podcast that got him his radio job. In many markets, Gorka will go head to head with Shapiro.

One of the problems with doing a live radio show from the host's perspective is the length. Compare the amount of work it takes to host a 3 hour radio show vs. a 1 hour podcast. Then from the listener's perspective, a podcast has fewer commercials. Most of them have a pre-roll spot at the beginning, and maybe another break in the middle. Compare that to what you hear on the radio.

As for your comment that talk radio is "live and up to the minute," that's not always true, especially with Salem. Their Jay Seculow show is often aired 6 hours after the live airing. That became a problem for affiliates who run the show at night. Salem's Houston station took some heat for airing the Seculow show with him speculating about the president's Supreme Court nominee after the press conference where the nominee was announced. If shows aren't aired live, then you miss any value to that kind of show.

He's replacing Michael Medved 3-6pm. Medved moves "to a new platform." Presumably this will be a Podcast, as is the case with Michael Savage.

Someone posted on the Seattle board here that Medved will continue his show with a different syndicator.

Hardly a surprise. It's been long speculated that Medved would be leaving Salem once his current contract expired. Gorka's accent will make him a hard listen for many, but I predict he'll do at least as well as Medved has done recently.

It's been about 6 months since Sebastian Gorka's radio show began and I'm wondering what others think of it.

This post was prompted by it showing up at #27 on the "Talkers Heavy Hundred" list, which I think we all can agree amounts to not much more than an endorsement by Michael Harrison.

Here's what I think. I enjoy Gorka on TV and as a guest on other radio shows but this show drags.

The intro is MUCH too long. We don't need to hear Gorka's family history followed by a long slice of a slow, dull song at the top of each hour.

The guests are often overexposed talking heads who tend to be boring and predictable. They are usually allowed to ramble over two segments.

Gorka spends too much time arguing with and shouting at callers. He has a sense of humor but you wouldn't know it by these caller-driven tirades. He does NOT sound like he's having fun, so why should this be fun for the audience? Why win the argument but lose the audience?

Too much flag waving!! Talk about "virtue signaling!" It works both ways.

I was looking forward to this show and think it has potential but I don't see it gaining much traction in its current implementation.

Actually his show offers a lot of interesting topics. More so than say, the piped in NPR content WNYC seems to rely upon these days.

Actually his show offers a lot of interesting topics. More so than say, the piped in NPR content WNYC seems to rely upon these days.

Not sure there are more topics. Lets just say they're different topics.

And the fact is that Gorka is just as "piped in" as any of the national shows on WNYC.

Another debase-r of fact.

Read: https://www.haaretz.com/opinion/the-academic-fraud-of-trumps-terrorism-expert-1.5465216

Complete fraud. Continuing an unfortunate tradition in commercial talk radio.

LCG

The problem I find with this show has more to do with style than substance. Gorka is, well frankly, just boring. The pace of the show is terrible. Stuff like that matters in radio.

BTW, the haaretz link takes you to a site from which you cannot escape by hitting the back button. With Firefox Android you need to close and reopen the browser. Trust a site like that? Not me.

The problem I find with this show has more to do with style than substance. Gorka is, well frankly, just boring. The pace of the show is terrible. Stuff like that matters in radio.

I agree and that's what happens when you turn an academic into a radio host. He feels he has to teach, rather than entertain. Newt Gingrich has the same problem.

There are a lot more entertaining former advisors in this administration, but they're probably too expensive.

I agree and that's what happens when you turn an academic into a radio host. He feels he has to teach, rather than entertain. Newt Gingrich has the same problem.

There are a lot more entertaining former advisors in this administration, but they're probably too expensive.

Yep!

I think Anthony Scaramucci would be a great radio host. Especially in NYC. Sean Spicer too. Both too expensive for Salem.

Are we sure Sean Spicer would be more expensive than Gorka? I don't think so. As far as I know, Spicer's not getting much traction after being the White House Press Secretary. On Day One, when he had to go in front of the press and angrily insist that Trump had the biggest crowds ever assembled for an inauguration, his credibility was sunk.

On the other hand, those times I've heard Gorka, it sounds like 100 % of everything Trump says is spot on, no dissent whatsoever. I suppose that's what the conservative talk audience wants to hear.

On the other hand, those times I've heard Gorka, it sounds like 100 % of everything Trump says is spot on, no dissent whatsoever. I suppose that's what the conservative talk audience wants to hear.

Either that, or it's what Gorka actually believes.

Yeah, that's what most of the conservative talk audience wants to hear. The few 'outliers', who are critical of the Administration at times, generally don't seem to get high ratings compared to the others.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom