• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

The Breeze Has Arrived in Boston

iHeart has brought their Soft AC "Breeze" format to Boston, on 94.5 HD2, replacing the simulcast of Talk 1200. We now have competing Soft AC HD subchannels, with The Breeze now going up against the long established Cove on 103.3 HD3.... Should be an epic battle... Obviously this was just to block anyone else from using the Breeze name in the market.

Thanks for info. It says Boston's Breeze on the display of my HD portable and those words are said between songs.I would think all automated.No sign of the Talk 1200 on the local iHeart HDs from what I could pick up.

Thanks for info. It says Boston's Breeze on the display of my HD portable and those words are said between songs.I would think all automated.No sign of the Talk 1200 on the local iHeart HDs from what I could pick up.

I'd imagine this HD2 version of the format will not be localized musically, as the main-signal versions of The Breeze seem to have been, at least at their launch. I wonder if it will pop up on any of iHeart's Hartford HD2s. It would have no competition for the ears of this market's dozens (?) of HD listeners, unless one considers the smooth jazz on the HD2 of WRCH. Right now, the HD2 of the Hartford cluster carry classic country (WWYZ), "Pride Radio" gay-friendly rhythmic (WKSS) and electronic dance music (WHCN), with hip-hop on the HD2 of WKCI Hamden/New Haven. Not sure if signal-challenged WUCS has any HD, but soft AC on a sports-talker's HD2 doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

I don’t think they would care much about it being compatible with the main sports signal. Soft AC isn’t exactly close to Jamn’s Rhythmic CHR format either.

iHeart has brought their Soft AC "Breeze" format to Boston, on 94.5 HD2, replacing the simulcast of Talk 1200. We now have competing Soft AC HD subchannels, with The Breeze now going up against the long established Cove on 103.3 HD3.... Should be an epic battle... Obviously this was just to block anyone else from using the Breeze name in the market.

The Breeze is different than the Cove, and from what I can hear, not anywhere as good as the Cove.

Entercom sure opened a can of worms with their Detroit "Breeze" station.

will the AM 1200 audio end up on a HD-3 somewhere? Since it is talk it does not need a lot of bandwidth to sound good, so a HD-3 would be a good fit.

I'm guessing it won't. iHeart has eliminated HD3s on all their stations in the area, probably to save licensing money. WHJJ used to be on 93.3 WSNE-HD3, with smooth jazz on HD2. They got rid of the smooth jazz and moved WHJJ to the HD2 a few months back. As soon as they took over WZLX, they reduced that to only having an HD2 (WRKO) as well.

Interesting about iHR eliminating the HD3s to save money. Indeed the need to put WRKO on an HD2 meant iHR ditched the Radio Mojo blues station CBS had had there.
iHR FMs in town

94.5--HD2 now the Breeze
97.7--anyone know the HD2? I can pick up main signal but what's on HD2?
100.7--HD2 is WRKO
101.7--HD2 is Evolution
107.9--HD2 is WBZ Newsradio 1030
And no HD3s.

Entercom
93.7 HD2 WAAF, no HD3?
103.3 HD2 oldies, HD3 The Cove
104.1 HD2 WAAF, HD 3 Tomorrow's Hits Today
106.7 HD2 reg. WMJX format for now
107.3 Maybe WEEI on an HD2. Probably unchanged.
Btw since 107.3 is in the Worcester area, etc., who gets to do the games of the forthcoming "Woo Sox" (name to be picked) AAA team now in Pawtucket? Not to start for a couple years.

The HDRadio website is outdated; info from my own bandscanning and Wikipedia
HD site says WBOS HD2 is Local 92.9 (it's Bloomburg)
HD site says WJMN HD2 is Bloomburg (wrong)
HD site says WBZ-FM HD2 is WBCN and HD3 is WBZ radio (HD2 may be podcasts and CBS sports radio)
Acc to HD site, 100.7 HD2 is Radio Mojo
oh well

Last edited:
Interesting about iHR eliminating the HD3s to save money. Indeed the need to put WRKO on an HD2 meant iHR ditched the Radio Mojo blues station CBS had had there.
iHR FMs in town

94.5--HD2 now the Breeze
97.7--anyone know the HD2? I can pick up main signal but what's on HD2?
100.7--HD2 is WRKO
101.7--HD2 is Evolution
107.9--HD2 is WBZ Newsradio 1030
And no HD3s.

Entercom
93.7 HD2 WAAF, no HD3?
103.3 HD2 oldies, HD3 The Cove
104.1 HD2 WAAF, HD 3 Tomorrow's Hits Today
106.7 HD2 reg. WMJX format for now
107.3 Maybe WEEI on an HD2. Probably unchanged.
Btw since 107.3 is in the Worcester area, etc., who gets to do the games of the forthcoming "Woo Sox" (name to be picked) AAA team now in Pawtucket? Not to start for a couple years.

The HDRadio website is outdated; info from my own bandscanning and Wikipedia
HD site says WBOS HD2 is Local 92.9 (it's Bloomburg)
HD site says WJMN HD2 is Bloomburg (wrong)
HD site says WBZ-FM HD2 is WBCN and HD3 is WBZ radio (HD2 may be podcasts and CBS sports radio)
Acc to HD site, 100.7 HD2 is Radio Mojo
oh well

It's only my guess that iHeart has eliminated HD3s to save money, not confirmed.

97.7 has not had an HD2 since iHeart took it over. I supposed they could put a 1200 simulcast on there, but with 97.7's limited Class A signal, it wouldn't have a very large coverage area.

I thought I heard somewhere that stations have to pay additional licensing fees to ibiquity when they add additional streams.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom