Format changes - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Format changes

Betw Hazleton and Pottsville PA ; Allentown closest market
    Not really on-topic for this thread .... maybe for another one of mine:

Did WCAU/WPHT 1210 ever make the New York book?

I know that WOR, WFAN and WABC would dent the Philadelphia book at times.

Their stick is in New Jersey, which would have put both their day and night signals into Monmouth, Middlesex and Somerset counties, all of which are considered in the NYC metro. And years gone by, 50,000 watts had none of this latest dial racket.

Nearest format 'change' I can envision from up this way, some 90 miles NW of it all, is how 101.1 manages to cope with 106.1 after the Holiday goosing. And maybe some other company could shift and go after WIOQ's relatively stinky numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by AbrahamJSimpson View Post
    At least the obsession went beyond Entercom this time. But let's be clear: 1210 is going nowhere. There is no other viable path that will bring in the same money. Period.
    The only formats imo, that 1210 AM could choose, is be all brokered like 860 WWDB or go all sports. Sports formats make money, syndicated or local.
    Julius May, Philadelphia PA.

Quote Originally Posted by Jul View Post
    Sports formats make money, syndicated or local.
    Sure they do. But not if you'd be the 4th All-Sports station, and stuck on the AM dial to boot.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Green NEPA View Post

And maybe some other company could shift and go after WIOQ's relatively stinky numbers.
    WTDY is now squarely in Q's lane. I've even heard jocks on air say "We outdo the Q"

WPHT has no reason to be all sports. We already have WIP 94 which is impossible to beat. WPHT serves a great purpose for being the dedicated news/ conservative talk stations. Every major market has that news/ talk station. Why would philly not have one? If WPHT flipped, we'd only have WNTP 990 which has a weaker signal, especially at night.
    Host on Rowan Radio 89.7 WGLS-FM

Radio DX'er- using Grundig Sat. 750, Tecsun PL-880

Quote Originally Posted by AbrahamJSimpson View Post
    I'm not sure who has done something viable but completely wrong (and thus far, of course, the jury will be out for some time on the Breeze).
    Agreeing that certainly the jury is still out on The Breeze (while also suggesting that a great bit of tinkering is required for it to not bomb), I'd posit that everything else on 106.1 since Smooth Jazz could be seen as something viable that they eff'd up (and I'd even include the dreadful Christmas stunt).
    It ain't no country club either.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12