• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

It Is Officially Christmas - Guess Who Just Went All-Christmas Today??

A

andreajesus

(one hint - it's the Lite you listen to :D ) - https://litefm.iheart.com/

My take on it - especially in the NY area - WAY TOO EARLY for this, or ANY station, to be going all-Christmas; and Lite is the ONE station that could have held off a week or two before doing it - they don't need the extra ratings boost, they're usually #1 or #2 in any NYC book - and, quite frankly, this gal can think of several other stations who could use the boost more than Lite.

#IStillMissKick1067

Everyone has an opinion on this. Here's mine. To me, the thing that means the start of Christmas is the tree in Rockefeller Center. I always make a point to see it at least once while it's there. I noticed it was up over a week ago, and they finished decorating it on Wednesday. Yes, they'll wait until after Thanksgiving to light it, but its there are ready now. The fact that we had our first snowstorm yesterday, and the tree is up and decorated, means it's time for music. Truthfully, the stores have been playing Christmas music already for over a week. Even my grocery store is playing music. The minute the Halloween candy was gone, it was replaced by Christmas candy. You can talk all you want about when it's time, but when the tree is up, and the people are shopping, it's time for music.

(one hint - it's the Lite you listen to :D ) - https://litefm.iheart.com/

My take on it - especially in the NY area - WAY TOO EARLY for this, or ANY station, to be going all-Christmas; and Lite is the ONE station that could have held off a week or two before doing it - they don't need the extra ratings boost, they're usually #1 or #2 in any NYC book - and, quite frankly, this gal can think of several other stations who could use the boost more than Lite.

#IStillMissKick1067

Wow, I still miss Kick 106.7 to. I could really go for hearing a "6 pack" set up next delivered by Tim Byrd, Batt Johnson or Max Kinkel, if I remember correctly.

It seems like every year, WLTW Lite-FM flips to Xmas music on the Friday afternoon before Thanksgiving. I think that date is a good time to do it. On the weekend before Thanksgiving, people are starting to shop for the holidays, decorate their homes, etc.

The only exception is when someone else does it first. There were two NYC stations that tried going all-Christmas for one year, 95.5 WPLJ and 101.1 WCBS-FM. I'm not sure if they flipped first and Lite-FM followed soon after. But that was about a decade ago.

Like clockwork, the stations that flip do so at the times they usually do, and then the chorus of 'it's too early!' erupts, yet the stations that do flip generally have monster ratings the last two months.

I don't think it'll ever change.

I can see it after the Christmas tree lighting or around Christmas time but with those ratings before Thanksgiving makes me wonder if the PPM devices are all around women controlling the radio.

Like clockwork, the stations that flip do so at the times they usually do, and then the chorus of 'it's too early!' erupts, yet the stations that do flip generally have monster ratings the last two months.
Such stations are usually the ONLY station in their market to go 24/7 Christmas. (Another station in our market also tried it last year. So far, they haven't tried it again this year. Time will tell.)
I can see it after the Christmas tree lighting or around Christmas time but with those ratings before Thanksgiving makes me wonder if the PPM devices are all around women controlling the radio.
That has long been my suspicion, as well.

Since WLTW is the only player that runs holiday music 24/7...I wonder if 102.7 would also make the plunge, now that Entercom owns it.(Take an look at Entercom's Hot AC station out of Buffalo, they're been doing this for years in Nov-Dec and have a similar playlist similar to 102.7 and is co-owned with a CHR)

Wouldn't be surprised if that were to happen, given that the relaunch was six months old.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom