• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

"Soft AC is Booming" -- is it time for WSB to do someting different with 98.5HD2

I don't recommend flipping formats to evaluate feasibility. There are easier and cheaper ways to do that.

It's like demolishing a building to determine what you'd like to put on the property. You should know the next step before destruction.
Myrtle Square Mall and Pavilion, Myrtle Beach. Charlotte Coliseum, Charlotte, NC.

Admittedly, I worded my earlier post very poorly. Sorry about that.

What I meant was this - instead of flipping *both* 105.7 & 105.3 to Soft AC right off the bat, initially I would only flip 105.7 (assuming, of course, that research actually shows there an appetite for such a format in the ATL).

If 105.7's ratings track record as a Soft AC *confirms* that there is healthy demand for the format, then I would add 105.3 as a simulcast partner.

I doubt 105.3 is going to flip out of a Hispanic format anytime soon unless Davis does some serious audience building with the 102.3 100.1 and 107.1 combo. Out of town national ad agencies that target Hispanics use 105.3 because it “covers the market”. IMHO 105.3’s signal up the heavily Hispanic area northeast I 85 to I 20 area is not as good as it looks on paper. Outside of one or two key air talents, it could (maybe already is) be voice tracked like a lot of CC/IHeart stations are so payroll is not an issue. After IHeart gets out of bankruptcy, they should find a way to move or get some kind of directional antenna for WSGC Tingall and upgrade WBZY to put a better signal into Atlanta.

105.7 has most of the alternative agency buys by default too.

Rodney’s article mentions 94.1 as a candidate Someone at Entercom will have to make that decision. They have some experience in “soft rock” and should be able to figure out if it is worth blowing up 94.1. 106.7 has had success as a music station but Cumulus likes the high expense and low income (compared to other quality signals in Atlanta) that WYAY has now.

IMHO: 106.7 & 94.1 are both candidates for a flip but TheBigA said it best:

“There are posters here who would love a real classic hits station in Atlanta too. The fact that no one's flipped to that gives me a sense that a soft AC also doesn't have much chance.”

105.7 has most of the alternative agency buys by default too.

Yeah - I'm sure it's just raking in the dough. 105.7's AQH listening is paltry. Removing 105.7 from the equation might cost iHeart, say, $2 million in national advertising revenue at most (in reality, the figure is probably much less than that).

Yeah - I'm sure it's just raking in the dough. 105.7's AQH listening is paltry. Removing 105.7 from the equation might cost iHeart, say, $2 million in national advertising revenue at most (in reality, the figure is probably much less than that).

I thought "young demos" was what agency buyers clients wanted. If either station is grossing under $2 million I could see big changes if they could get the Court's Appointed Trustee go a long with it.

Not sure that the "court appointed trustee" gets involved in such minutia. Maybe if they want to sell the stations.

From personal experience: the Trustee in his report to the Judge should report anything "out of the normal" income or expense. A seven figure change in income would be at least in the footnotes.

From personal experience: the Trustee in his report to the Judge should report anything "out of the normal" income or expense. A seven figure change in income would be at least in the footnotes.

A big difference between reporting something and getting his approval.

I would not want to make the Trustee or Judge look like he / she is not in "control" if I wanted to work there. The Court can cancel contracts without penalty. Your severance package could ruled to be "unnecessary" or "extravagant" for the continuation and rehab of the business.

Usually they will go along with changes if there is a good chance of success and will sign off. Acting in "good faith" is important.

Do you really think the trustee or judge has approved all of the additions of The Breeze to various HD-2s around the country? I don't.

Not HD 2s, but a "main" signal that is generating a couple or million yes. I would ask before flipping either 105.3 or 105.7

I would ask before flipping either 105.3 or 105.7

That's strictly a regional VP decision. This is a very big company. The trustee doesn't get involved in those details.

But you're also talking about something that's not likely to happen, no matter who is in charge.

That's strictly a regional VP decision. This is a very big company. The trustee doesn't get involved in those details.

But you're also talking about something that's not likely to happen, no matter who is in charge.

Maybe things have changed but I can remember waiting from around 6 AM till after lunch to get permission to order a DSC circuit card for a tandem switch during the World Com / MCI bankruptcy in 2003. We used their spare that morning. I was working as a temp for a contractor, called in after MCI canned most of their folks. That was one of the worst jobs I ever had and I was just a temp. I felt sorry for the few remaining MCI employees I worked with. They really got screwed. I will give CC/iHeart and Cumulus credit, they treat their ex-employees better than Worldcon sorry that was Worldcom.

I agree that any flip to improve revenue on a good signal in Atlanta will not happen. Due to limited market covering FM signals, even bad operations can make money with a good signal in Atlanta

Maybe things have changed but I can remember waiting from around 6 AM till after lunch to get permission to order a DSC circuit card for a tandem switch during the World Com / MCI bankruptcy in 2003.

Big difference between making a format change and ordering capital equipment. But it's obvious that iHeart has no trouble spending money during this process. They've made two multi-million dollar purchases during bankruptcy.

Big difference between making a format change and ordering capital equipment. But it's obvious that iHeart has no trouble spending money during this process. They've made two multi-million dollar purchases during bankruptcy.

I guess $2200 replacement (refurbished) card could be a "capital" expense. Bad book keeping (or fraud) was an issue there.

Secondchoice - this is a chapter 11 debtor-in-possession bankruptcy. A trustee normally isn't appointed in Chapter 11 cases; there is no court-appointed trustee in this case. Certain matters need to go before the Judge, such as the Jelli purchase. A format change in radio is no different than a recipe change or product line addition or subtraction if we were talking about a product that is sold at a supermarket. Format changes require no court intervention of any kind. Now, if the company wanted to sell or purchase any radio stations, that would be a different story altogether.

The alternative rock listener, though, has a negative image: cynical, resistant to advertising, slacker, underemployed. It may be a stereotype, but there's enough truth to it to make advertisers wary.
While soft AC listeners are stable, have a family (or an empty nest) and a good job and money to spend.

As long as we're talking about stereotypes.

Secondchoice - this is a chapter 11 debtor-in-possession bankruptcy. A trustee normally isn't appointed in Chapter 11 cases; there is no court-appointed trustee in this case. Certain matters need to go before the Judge, such as the Jelli purchase. A format change in radio is no different than a recipe change or product line addition or subtraction if we were talking about a product that is sold at a supermarket. Format changes require no court intervention of any kind. Now, if the company wanted to sell or purchase any radio stations, that would be a different story altogether.

Apparently, there is some monitoring of iHeart bonuses by the creditors or the court:

https://radioink.com/2018/12/11/delay-for-iheart/

IMHO any executive who works for a bankrupt corporation should be thankful to have a job. If they had done their job the company would not be there, or they knew the situation when they got hired. I could see why some folks resent “the one percent”.

I personally have no problem if an executive increases profits significantly he/she gets the big bonus. Only if the iHeart Sales has increased a large percentage more than the industry in the last year should a bonus be paid. If these executives were that “good” they would be fielding job offers and most likely have left by now.

I haven't looked at any of the court filings but apparently there is a dollar amount that gets attention. The fact that there is no trustee gives them some "freedom" to do stuff.

While soft AC listeners are stable, have a family (or an empty nest) and a good job and money to spend.

As long as we're talking about stereotypes.

We actually won't know what Madison Avenue thinks of soft AC listeners until the numbers for the stations' first full book in the format are crunched. If most of them turn out to be over 55, I'd imagine the format will be limited to HD subchannels in most markets and the playlists on the main signals it's now on will be tweaked to get rid of the '60s' '70s and early '80s tunes.

We actually won't know what Madison Avenue thinks of soft AC listeners until the numbers for the stations' first full book in the format are crunched. If most of them turn out to be over 55, I'd imagine the format will be limited to HD subchannels in most markets and the playlists on the main signals it's now on will be tweaked to get rid of the '60s' '70s and early '80s tunes.
But those are the good ones. Or at least better.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom