• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Christmas has arrived on Seattle Radio

It is extremely rare for three secular FM stations to switch to all Christmas music in a given market. The only time I can remember something similar was about 10 years ago in Philadelphia. Both the AC station, WBEB, and the Classic Hits station, WOGL, would flip every year. Then another station at 97.5 wanted to go AC, and it also flipped. The three stations finished 1-2-3 in the Holiday ratings. But the 97.5 AC station failed once it started airing its regular playlist and it eventually became Sports Radio WPEN.

Imagine that in Seattle, there'll be five all-Christmas stations if you add KIXI AM 880 and Christian Contemporary KCMS 105.3. Amazing.

Meanwhile in Atlanta, the only station that switches is that market's Christian Contemporary outlet. No one else flips. Very odd.

I think KAFE (or KXXO) one year aired Christmas music on Black Friday weekend, then went back to regular format and sprinkled in occasional Christmas, before going all Christmas about a week or so before 12/25.
Wonder how many office radios flipped back to 94.1 today? Who's sick of Andy Williams and Bing Crosby already?

I think KAFE (or KXXO) one year aired Christmas music on Black Friday weekend, then went back to regular format and sprinkled in occasional Christmas, before going all Christmas about a week or so before 12/25.
Wonder how many office radios flipped back to 94.1 today? Who's sick of Andy Williams and Bing Crosby already?

That was KXXO.

KAFE is still doing that, they're back to regular programming today. I would think that KSWD would be running Christmas music on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday evenings because they run Delilah, but not sure what they're going to be doing the rest of the weekend hours.

I believe Delilah has versions where the songs are either all-Christmas or regular AC with a few Christmas songs mixed in.

Of course, KSWD simply takes Delilah's chats and mixes its own music in, as in most large markets. But she probably offers stations that do their own music a version where she talks only about Christmas or about other subjects plus Christmas. WLTW NYC has her talking only about Christmas but the station mixes in its own music.

You are at least partially right. There are versions of her show that are customized, but I'm not sure that's what KSWD is running. I thought maybe they were at first, but I notice they are significantly more current in evenings than typical.

Speaking of Delilah, I remember many years ago when KRWM was still running Delilah, they would air her segments during their 12/24-25 '36 Hours of Christmas' commercial-free programming. I remember one year, Delilah was broadcasting the show live (or on 3-hour tape delay) on either Christmas Eve or Christmas night from her Kitsap County home with her family members. Thought that was really cool.
The normal KSWD version of Delilah, at least aired middays, is not related to the syndicated version. You don't hear the Delilah jingle sweepers for example, and I don't think I've ever heard a dedication or phone call.

No the midday show isn't at all related to the syndicated show, but they run the syndicated show on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday nights.

I predict Star 101.5 will re brand itself as Santa FM and simulcast the Switch on KOMO TV news at 5pm today.
Some side effects of this format change can include but are not limited to, Loss of Appetite, Diarrhea, Nausea and Vomiting.
It came to me in a dream while snoozing in front of the TV.

I predict Star 101.5 will re brand itself as Santa FM and simulcast the Switch on KOMO TV news at 5pm today.
Some side effects of this format change can include but are not limited to, Loss of Appetite, Diarrhea, Nausea and Vomiting.
It came to me in a dream while snoozing in front of the TV.

5pm on KOMO-TV and as xmtrland was snoozing in front of the TV.....

"......And now, Boris Ephstyn the spokesman for Sinclair Broadcasting with an important message for Star 101.5 listeners;

Thank you, Kent.....All right....Now listen up, you snowflakes. The deep state has gone too far. Just look at you all, with your pajama-boy music like lovelytheband and Ariana Grande. You think you've got it made, don't you? Well suck it up. Because that's all coming to an end. By executive order of President Donald J. Trump, K.....What's this thing called again, Kent?....SARS?....Oh...Star. Star 105.1, will now present A Very Sinclair Christmas. Hours and hours of alternative Christmas classics. And if you little swishes think you're gonna hear Bowie and Crosby, Pentatonix and Cocteau Twins-THINK AGAIN! We got "Donald J. Trump Is Coming To Town", "All I Want For My Business Is A Big Tax Cut", "Have Yourself A MAGA Little Christmas", "I Came Upon A QAnon Breadcrumb Here" and "Pepe The Frog's White Christmas". Lots of that creepy Russian orchestral rock music. The kind that matches President Donald J. Trump's White House decorations....And if you sissies snitch us off to the FCC and prevent us from.....Wait....Kent, just handed me something.....It's a ruling from some deep state liberal activist judge striking down this executive order with a note 'Play normal Christmas music. P.S. We're not impressed. That's goes for the TV channels too.'..................................Back to you, Kent.."

Last edited:
I see 94.1 is doing Xmas on weekends only, from 7PM Friday to early Monday morning. Probably to entice the weekend mall shoppers. At least they are still spinning Relaxing Favorites at WORK.
Your joke about Boris made me lol.
100.9 KARY, here in Yakima, has more of a traditional lean on their Xmas format. And a country lean, too, but that's obvious with the rural population. However, I've already had to change the channel once, thanks to that silly 'Text Me Merry Christmas' nonsense by Straight No Chaser. Just don't listen to it. Silly, stupid and pointless.

However, I've already had to change the channel once, thanks to that silly 'Text Me Merry Christmas' nonsense by Straight No Chaser. Just don't listen to it. Silly, stupid and pointless.

I do the same thing when "Stop The Cavalry" comes on. What an awful song.

Warm's still playing 'Stop the Calvary'?! Wow, nice. But I'm in the opposite - whenever I hear that song it reminds me of Christmases past in Puget Sound. I also enjoy 'Sippin' in Seattle's Latteland' as well. But not so much a fan of 'Christmas in the Northwest'.

I think it was the late Larry Nelson who started playing Stop the Calvary on Seattle Radio. One of my local favorites is The Twelve Pains of Christmas (Bob Rivers).

What I don't understand is why I've never heard Bob Rivers on the radio in this market around this time of year. I've heard both the 12 pains of Christmas and the Chimney Song on stations, but they've been out of the area, Chimney Song on KSSK and the 12 pains on the now sports formatted WEZQ, but never on Warm or most recently Star.

What I don't understand is why I've never heard Bob Rivers on the radio in this market around this time of year. I've heard both the 12 pains of Christmas and the Chimney Song on stations, but they've been out of the area, Chimney Song on KSSK and the 12 pains on the now sports formatted WEZQ, but never on Warm or most recently Star.

Why is duplicating a bad thing when it comes to radio, yet it's a sound justification for a personal preference on a local station?

I'm not sure I understood your point, but I would think that, if a local artist gets played on the radio anywhere, it should be in the home market. So, if I've heard Rivers on the radio in other markets, why don't I hear his music on local stations when this was his home market for 25 years?

I'm not sure I understood your point, but I would think that, if a local artist gets played on the radio anywhere, it should be in the home market. So, if I've heard Rivers on the radio in other markets, why don't I hear his music on local stations when this was his home market for 25 years?

Because people don't care where artists are from, only whether the song sounds good to their ears.

Besides, Rivers isn't from here. He was born and raised on the east coast.

It really only belongs on Classic Rock or Sports stations. It's guy humour, and really hasn't help up well over time. Not going to resonate with a 30-something female 101.5 listener.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom