• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WBZ's "identity"

Mikey was creative and hilarious; I loved his station and client promos that featured humor and/or especially song parodies. I guess the new management there thinks differently.
Who does the song parody bits for Bradley Jay? Some of them sound like Bradley's voice, but not all of them, and they seem to be continuing to produce new ones every once in a while.

Michael Coleman.

The other morning during the crossover between Bradley Jay & Jeff Brown right after one of Bradley’s promos, Jeff asked how do I get one of those? Bradley said I don’t know, I haven’t had a new one created since November.

WBZ's "identity" is splashing over onto sister station WRKO with news updates. "I'm Ben Parker and here's what's trending on WBZ NewsRadio"/(instrumental bit of the WBZ jingle).Am sure most people are aware they're tuned to RKO and WBZ is providing their news (so it's not like it's "WBZ AM 680" all of a sudden...at their studios no doubt shows like Kuhner and VB are probably using same studio as Rea and Jay later).

A year ago today, gas explosions rocked the Merrimack Valley and Howie Carr listeners had a simulcast of WBZ for a time during the show, not just at top and bottom of the hour.

On 4-15-13 back when WRKO and WEEI-FM were sister stations, 93.7 carried parts of Howie Carr and Jeff Kuhner (special evening edition) as the Marathon bombings had occurred.All that week there were simulcasts of radio and TV news on WRKO, WTKK, WBZ AM, and the CBS-owned FM stations including the Friday night capture of Dzhokhar Tsarnaev.

Yikes

At least it's a lot more subtle than WRKO.

Wait until you start hearing "Let's go out to the roads and get the My Pillow traffic report. How are things looking on the Kelly Financial highway? Well I don't have a Perfect Smile when I look at the Pike ....."

I have a bitter criticism of a few of WBZ''s anchors.
Let's start with Shari Small, it seems she can't open the mike without making a mistake, or stumbling, this week she's on late mornings.
What happened to Tina Gao?
Charlie Sherman!!! My God show some mercy, some of us are hungover on the weekend.
Mike Macklin, great reporter, not so great as a live anchor weekends with the hesitations in mid sentences.
All 3 dominate on the weekends.

Q++++++``````QQ+A!⁰+[SpI would like to QUOTE=Infidel;6277455]At least it's a lot more subtle than WRKO.

Wait until you start hearing "Let's go out to the roads and get the My Pillow traffic report. How are things looking on the Kelly Financial highway? Well I don't have a Perfect Smile when I look at the Pike ....."[/QUOTE]

They have had some prominent voices move on from time to time to careers out of broadcast of their own free will (Karen Toomey for one). I know iHeart has pushed a few out but overall they have kept BZ true to what it has been for a long time. Some churn is to be expected.

WRKO seems to be making some in roads 12+ ratings wise. Not sure why as not much has changed - mainly just Kuhner moving back to morning drive. They are about to pass Howie’s old nemesis WEEI which based on some of their recent moves is well deserved.

Back to BZ - I wish they hadn’t dropped the HD. Since they did can we widen the audio back out to AMAX specs and turn the cquam back on? I know the answer but one can wish. There is always WJIB for an example what AM can sound like. BZ used to sound like that.

I have a bitter criticism of a few of WBZ''s anchors.
Let's start with Shari Small, it seems she can't open the mike without making a mistake, or stumbling, this week she's on late mornings.
What happened to Tina Gao?
Charlie Sherman!!! My God show some mercy, some of us are hungover on the weekend.
Mike Macklin, great reporter, not so great as a live anchor weekends with the hesitations in mid sentences.
All 3 dominate on the weekends.

Norm,

My early opinion of Shari Small was that she was a bit of a klutz while anchoring. However, as a reporter, she does very well, and I wish they'd play to her strengths and let her be a reporter in the field. As an anchor, she's gotten better.

Tina has been on weekends in a 90-minute rotation consisting of Art Cohen, herself, and Charlie Bergeron. She occasionally will fill in on a weekday, but not as often as she once did.

Charlie Sherman!!! has had too much caffeine or Red Bull or both. Mike Macklin, OTOH, seems to have trouble keeping himself awake. If only he and Charlie Sherman!!! can equalize the pressure, so to speak....

I REALLY miss the quiet dignity of Josh Binswanger.

Tina Gao was on the air Sunday morning & Nichole Davis was filling in for Bradley Jay on the overnight shift today.

She mentioned that she’ll be filling in again tonight.

Nichole Davis
They used to have a few RW'ers on their depth chart. I remember one (though not his name) that would come down from NH. I guess Morgan doesn't take much time off other than his annual trip to Vegas. So maybe they don't feel like they need anybody.
Years ago Barney Frank and Bill Lee were fill-ins--individually-- for Larry Glick.

I have a question, Can Sherry Small read one sentence without stumbling, or hesitating?

What should wbz do for christmas?

What do you people think WBZ News Radio should do for Christmas? I say they should bring back 30 hours of Christmas music with news updates on the hour and the half hour. Now that Gary Lapierre's gone, they should trash their version of "A Christmas Carol."

I have a question, Can Sherry Small read one sentence without stumbling, or hesitating?

Norm,

As you probably know, Shari Small worked at NH's Binney TV before the latter turned in its license to cash in on the spectrum auction. In fact, CHARLIE SHERMAN !!! also worked there. Never having watched NH1, as I believe it was called, I have no idea what either was like on TV, but I am inclined to think the transition from TV to radio isn't a good fit for either of them. I would prefer they both be given jobs on local TV.

With TV reporting or anchoring, you have a whole support group since the reporter or anchor is "the talent". At WBZ, they both have controls to operate to get not only themselves, but a whole lot of other reporters - news, weather, traffic, business - on air as well. Not making excuses for them, just that they might be still somewhat overwhelmed by the relative technical complexity of live radio.
i know they've both been at this since 2017, but either they still need more time or they need to get back on TV.

I want to be on record as expressing my sincerest gratitude to the powers-that-be at WBZ Newsradio 1030 for bringing back Doug Cope for afternoon newscasts on Saturday and Sunday. Second weekend in a row, too.
In fact, if Doug is reading this: THANKS, Doug, for coming out of retirement to do this!!!
Doug was always an excellent reporter and knows how to deliver a newscast.

By the way WBZ-TV will construct new studios on land adjacent to the current 1170 Soldiers Field Rd location and the new digs will be smaller not just because WBZ AM has since moved to Medford as part of iHeart but because it's possible to have TV studios in a more modest, smaller building. 1170 SFR was a part of WBZ radio's identity for years but now "Newsradio"* is bunkmates with WRKO et al.
WBZ's calls of course are now divided under 3 different owners, with CBS having the TV version and WBZ-FM
under Beasley

*--1030 AM, 107.9 HD2 and online
Channel 4 will be getting a new home

Via KVahey on Facebook, not sure of source.The news of Ch 4's move first came in Aug of 2018.That's TV related but am mentioning as it involves the building that used to host 1030.

"National Development of Newton says it will soon file detailed plans to replace WBZ's current studios on Soldiers Field Road in Allston with a new building right next door - which will leave plenty of land for additional development on WBZ's current eight-acre lot.

In a letter of intent filed with the BPDA, the developer says it plans to tear down an existing office building at 1200 Soldiers Field Road at Everett Street, next to WBZ's current studios and auxiliary antenna, to create 62,000 square feet of studios, production space and offices for the station. The current studio building, built in 1948 when Westinghouse Broadcasting added TV to its AM station in Boston, would also be razed.

National Development says it will use the 18,000-square foot lot at 1200 Soldiers Field Road, plus some of the current WBZ land, to erect the new building and to build a secure parking lot with space for 117 vehicles and a separate 17-space lot for visitors."

https://www.facebook.com/Fenway1912

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom