Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 22

Thread: WBZ's "identity"

  1. #1

    WBZ's "identity"

    We're coming up this weekend on the first anniversary of the spinoff of WBZ Newsradio 1030 from CBS Radio to Entercom to iHeart Media.

    I've noticed over the past week that the station is slowly de-emphasizing its long-used branding; now it's simply "WBZ Newsradio". But wait, there's less!

    Before: "WBZ News time is 8:53 - time for traffic and weather together on the threes ...";
    Now: "It's 8:53 - time for traffic and weather together on the threes".

    Before: "I'm Josh Binswanger, WBZ News. Our top story this morning...."
    Now: "Our top story this morning...."

    Before: "Business news at :08 and :38 past each hour. I'm Andrew O'day, Bloomberg Business on WBZ Newsradio 1030."
    Now: "I'm Andrew O'day, Bloomberg Business on WBZ Newsradio."

    And don't get me started on who's on which shift. Josh and Deb Lawlor seem to be "off today" quite a lot. Jeff Brown and Nicole Davis are popping up in just about all dayparts except evenings and overnight (so far, anyway). Heck, even Charlie Sherman has been heard doing mid-day news. And good luck figuring out when/if Adam Kaufman will be heard during any given half-hour each morning.

    And I'm not enjoying any of the new on-air promos, either. Something's missing. (I think I know what it is but I'll be slammed for saying it.)

    What I'm waiting to hear:

    - Yeah, but it's subtle.
    - Yeah, but more people listening to the iHeart stream where frequency is immaterial.
    - Yeah, but who cares who delivers the news, as long as it's being delivered.
    - Yeah, so what? but shouldn't iHeart be allowed to do what it wants with one of its own stations?

  2. #2
    Keep in mind that at some point, probably fairly soon, this station will have to give up those call letters. They are trademarked by CBS. Entercom has a long term deal to retain the former CBS letters, but I don't know if that conveyed to iHeart. So it's possible that they're preparing for a required call letter change. Maybe not. But that's my theory.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBigA View Post
    Keep in mind that at some point, probably fairly soon, this station will have to give up those call letters. They are trademarked by CBS. Entercom has a long term deal to retain the former CBS letters, but I don't know if that conveyed to iHeart. So it's possible that they're preparing for a required call letter change. Maybe not. But that's my theory.
    That would be horrid; I’d be beside myself.

    Worse: the call sign “WBZA” is taken by stations in upstate NY.

  4. #4
    As far as Charlie Sherman, someone should remind him that he's not doing a sports report, and Mike Macklin to perk up if possible.
    IHeart better not be firing any more of their more talented anchors.
    The quality has diminished since a year ago, the platform promos don't fit.
    It's become quite a stupid station, yet I feel that Iheart has just started the dismantling.
    Evil Evil, company.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by nowradioguy View Post
    And I'm not enjoying any of the new on-air promos, either. Something's missing. (I think I know what it is but I'll be slammed for saying it.)
    Michael Coleman.
    --

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by inorm99 View Post
    I feel that Iheart has just started the dismantling.
    Evil Evil, company.
    I guess for you, any change is evil.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Cap-n Spackle View Post

    Michael Coleman.
    On head was nail hit.

    Mikey was creative and hilarious; I loved his station and client promos that featured humor and/or especially song parodies. I guess the new management there thinks differently.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by inorm99 View Post
    As far as Charlie Sherman, someone should remind him that he's not doing a sports report, and Mike Macklin to perk up if possible.
    IHeart better not be firing any more of their more talented anchors.
    The quality has diminished since a year ago, the platform promos don't fit.
    It's become quite a stupid station, yet I feel that Iheart has just started the dismantling.
    Evil Evil, company.
    Well, I wouldn't say the station is "stupid", but I damned well feel "there is something happening here, what it is ain't exactly clear", and it's not probably not necessarily going to be either to your or my liking.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBigA View Post
    Keep in mind that at some point, probably fairly soon, this station will have to give up those call letters. They are trademarked by CBS. Entercom has a long term deal to retain the former CBS letters, but I don't know if that conveyed to iHeart. So it's possible that they're preparing for a required call letter change. Maybe not. But that's my theory.
    The callsign IP licensing was explicitly transferrable from Entercom to subsequent buyers.

    "WBZ" isn't going away.
    All kinds of good stuff over at http://www.fybush.com

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by nowradioguy View Post
    Well, I wouldn't say the station is "stupid", but I damned well feel "there is something happening here, what it is ain't exactly clear", and it's not probably not necessarily going to be either to your or my liking.
    I'm reminded of my new neighbor, who bought the house across the street, and immediately started making changes. Some of the neighbors liked the way the house originally looked, and started to ask the new couple why they were changing the house that seemed to be perfect before they bought it. They said it's their house, and they want to make it more their style. But the neighbors still don't like it, and often long for the previous owners to come back. When someone buys something, they're allowed to repaint it or replace the landscaping if they choose.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

     
Useful Contacts
Community


123