Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dallas City Council meetings are killing WRR's surprisingly good ratings

My thought is if the meetings are aired on Cable TV (government/public access channel) and if they can be streamed live on the city website, why include the FM. My thinking is an HD channel is not going to be more accessible to the general public than the option of website or cable. As WRR is commercial, airing the meetings is not helping the revenue end at all but rather costing them large sums of cash. Perhaps a tape delay to Sunday morning or Sunday night for meetings if they insist on using WRR would be a better option.

My view: this is a huge waste of money. Unless they can figure out a way to program something on the HD2 that covers the cost or generates a profit, this just seems exceedingly foolish to me.

Quote Originally Posted by tested View Post
    My view: this is a huge waste of money. Unless they can figure out a way to program something on the HD2 that covers the cost or generates a profit, this just seems exceedingly foolish to me.
    Then again, government isn't in the profit business. They're in the service business. Which is appropriate, since there's no real way to make a profit with HD2. We're talking about broadcasting council meetings, not entertainment.

I got this email from WRR today.

Dear Friend,

On February 13, the Dallas City Council will vote on whether to discontinue broadcasting its biweekly meetings on WRR.

If I recall correctly, WRR's profits are assigned to help provide advertising funds for the Dallas Convention and Visitors bureau. So in this case, WRR is in the profit business.
    There's a lot more going on there than meets the eye.

I suspect the council will say yes to this plan to add an HD2 for the council meetings.

Just be glad WRR's format is classical. Can you imagine the trouble if it were a pop or rock with these meetings?
    My body is a temple; Ancient and crumbling. Probably cursed and haunted...

Moderator/Co-Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Bongwater View Post
    Just be glad WRR's format is classical. Can you imagine the trouble if it were a pop or rock with these meetings?
    I can imagine some of the city council members questioning the lyrics of a pop or rock format!
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, Billboard, Cash Box, R&R, Record World, Music & Media, Audio, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, Popular Electronics, Studio Sound, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

Dallas City Council votes to continue broadcasting meetings live on WRR.

https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/Da...505810841.html

I understand why they wouldn't want to put the meetings on an HD-2 OR -3 channel. I have HD radio in my vehicle and I love it, but most people don't.

I wonder if one of the lower-rated AM stations in the market might have welcomed the meetings—at a cost lower than the 80k WRR hoped to gain by dropping them.

One has to wonder how many applicants for the advertised position of General Manager of WRR will be put off from applying in light of the Council's decision. The real cost is minimal compared to the potential loss of income in advertising revenue. I have to wonder if that has been considered.

Quote Originally Posted by b-turner View Post
    I have to wonder if that has been considered.
    We're talking about the city council. They have no idea.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast