• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WISX question

Probably so. But I’ve never been one who wants slow at work as a general rule. I come at things from a perspective of liking bright and uptempo to keep plugging away.

I like the uptempo Whitney Houston songs, not the ballads she's so famous for oversinging. But I suppose "I Wanna Dance With Somebody" isn't relaxing enough for Philly's (or anyone else's) Relaxing Favorites, but "The Greatest Love of All" -- a song previously a minor hit for George Benson, whose version would fit the format perfectly -- and "Saving All My Love for You" are. As for Dion, because I'm a big Meat Loaf fan, I appreciate her faithful, melodramatic interpretation of "It's All Coming Back to Me," and the melody of "My Heart Will Go On" more than makes up for her vocal excesses, so there are two of her songs that don't get me stabbing at the preset buttons, but they're the only two.

Still, if I were in an office or a store and couldn't change the station when a personal "bad song" came on, this is the sort of station I'd easily tolerate, rather than an AC, Hot AC or CHR. Since I'm 63, WISX probably doesn't want to hear that from people like me, but they must be banking that there are enough at-work folks in 35-54 who might appreciate a softer workplace music source, too.

Pretty sure I saw George Benson's "The Greatest Love of All" on their playlist at some point.

The Sean Ross columns on another forum did a nice job synthesizing the trend, and how the stations are sounding today. I mean, I'd give up my head of hair....oh wait, I don't have that any more....to never hear a Whitney Houston song so long as I live. Or Celine Dion. But they fit the tone, and so be it.

He has written quite a few enlightening columns lately about the format. I especially like the one where he showed us an hour of songs from popular Soft AC's across the country.

He has written quite a few enlightening columns lately about the format. I especially like the one where he showed us an hour of songs from popular Soft AC's across the country.

That one was interesting. I suppose there'll be a degree of homogenization in the format before long if it shows signs of catching on with listeners under 55. It already looks like Elton John and Billy Joel hit the "sweet spot" everywhere. Whether WISX will start dropping the R&B gold -- or whether Detroit will start adding more -- remains to be seen.

The rollout of the format and the reactions to it on this board are informative, especially because there's speculation in Buffalo that Townsquare will roll out a Breeze, Warm, Easy, or Sunny version of the same after the station concludes the All Christmas format. Although the Soft AC format has been highly successful in markets like Tampa, Seattle and San Francisco, I'm personally interested in finding out how it will not only take off, but endure in markets like Detroit and Phildelphia, which are more like Buffalo than Tampa, Seattle or San Francisco. The real test is time, and what becomes of these formats two years down the road. How will the format evolve, especially in the face of competition from entrenched AC formats like B-101. For example: Will Soft AC be another iteration of the Dancin' Oldies approach to Oldies. We all saw what happened to that particular flavor of the day. Oldies stations endured, "Dancin'" stations had their flash, some sustained, but for the most part, they faded into another format.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom