• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

So "The Breeze" isn't just an iHeart brand?

Most radio station names have not been nationally trademarked or even used for the same format. For example, "Kiss FM" is Top 40/CHR in most markets, except NYC where it was Urban AC.

In my regular travels, I get to hear four stations all branded "The River." In Hartford, The River is WHCN 105.9, playing rock classic hits from the '70s and '80s. In Albany, NY, The River is WRVE 99.5, a Hot AC station. Both are iHeart stations. In the Northampton, Mass., area, and in the Lebanon-Hanover-White River Junction, NH/VT area, The River is AAA, and both stations are on 93.9, but with different approaches and playlists -- WRSI and WWOD, respectively. And they have separate ownership: WRSI is Saga, WWOD is Great Eastern Radio.

Last edited:
Who was the Owner of the Portland edition of the Breeze in 1988?

As far as I know most of the Iheart Owned stations with the Breeze name will point to KISQ-FM San Francisco as their reference for the AC format or KOST Los Angeles. But the Detroit Edition of the Breeze by Entercom would cite the 2018 edition of 94.7 The Wave in Los Angeles as their reference to the AC format though.

Pacific Northwest Broadcasting Corporation. It's 1230 and east of town, not exactly full market coverage, even then or ever.

Maybe they should just call it Flaccid 106.1 I doubt anyone has that one nailed down Haha j/k.... too far?

What about stations using sports teams' names as brands?

In the mid-90's, then-WOCT Baltimore (a city then still in NFL exile) branded as 70's classic hits 104.3 The Colt, even using a chorus of car horns playing the Colts fight song as a traffic report music bed. Did WOCT receive a cease and desist notice when the Ravens arrived in 1996?

ixnay

@ David :

Perhaps this might not be too much into legal-ese. Your post made me wonder if a radio station located in a neutral zone -- an unrated market -- could use some positioner that was occupie/dtaken, and maybe even nationally copyrighted, by a station in an adjacent/rated market *if the newer station didn't stream*.
How far might the cease-and-desist writ run if the copyrighted station puts a decently listenable signal into the unrated county or counties?

The broadcast dials and the internet are two separate sources of entertainment in 2018, no? Yet, of course, there's bound to be some overlap and conflict while two sides argue as to which station, service-marked or grandfathered or not, is allowed to use The Vulture, or Magic, or The Goose, or Mellow, or Fuming, or The Stork. I'm thinking that a non-streaming local station should be clear to be whoever they want to be -- especially if they do not stream nationally.

Several of us consigned an attorney up this way to outfit the group with a company name for a non-profit organization. The enterorise was a small one ... voice work .... maybe a small licensed station .... impeccable references for all involved .... beer money .... a hobby, etc. All the priorities (although not necessarily in that order). It cost several hundred bucks, but we wound up chartered in two different states with the name.
We had expected some Perry Mason type of research .... he with a two-fisted Bulldog Drummond aura and some law clerk poring through mesas of books in a vast law library.
Nope. The attorney, who looked like David Ogden Stiers, instead went to a flippin' COMPUTER and looked up the group's desired name.
'Nope. Nothing,' he said, after a few scratched ear-lobes and mouse clicks and screens showed up. 'You guys are cleared. Nothing with that name is taken.'

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom