• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

"The Breeze" Brand going to other Iheart Owned stations

https://www.allaccess.com/net-news/...real-106-1-philadelphia-ends-christmas-music-

https://www.allaccess.com/net-news/...sacramento-brings-back-soft-ac-92-5-the-breez

Yes Iheartradio has just renamed Sacramento and Philadelphia outlets as "The Breeze"

The Breeze had their origins in San Francisco back in 2016 on 98.1 FM.

The rumors came true about iHEARTMEDIA Rhythmic AC WISX (REAL 106.1)/PHILADELPHIA, which dumped its all-CHRISTMAS music programming (NET NEWS, 11/9) to launch of Soft AC "106.1 The Breeze, Philly’s Relaxing Favorites." The station is now in the midst of playing 10,000 commercial-free songs in a row.

“This is a sound that was long abandoned by other stations," iHEARTMEDIA/PHILADELPHIA Region Pres. NICK GNAU said. “Listeners can now hear relaxing AC genre music that hasn’t been played on the radio in years from their favorite artists.”

“There is a huge appetite in PHILLY for a softer, relaxed sound, especially during the workday, said 106.1 THE BREEZE VP/Programming BRIAN CHECK said. “I’m happy to say we’re bringing “THE BREEZE” to PHILADELPHIA.”

HEARTMEDIA will be flipping Country KBEB (92.5 THE BULL)/SACRAMENTO to Soft AC 92.5 "THE BREEZE," as "SACRAMENTO’s #1 For Relaxing Favorites at Work," at 3p (PT) on MONDAY, NOVEMBER 12th, starting with 10,000 commercial-free songs in a row. The "92.5 THE BULL" Country format, including "THE BOBBY BONES SHOW," will segue to KYRV-HD2 K296GB, replacing the Smooth Jazz format, which will still air exclusively on the iHEARTRADIO app.

“The timing is perfect to bring 92.5 THE BREEZE to our iHEARTMEDIA/SACRAMENTO market,” said iHEARTMEDIA/SACRAMENTO Market Pres. SARA MCCLURE. “We’re taking our powerful 50,000-watt signal back to when it was a powerful Adult Contemporary station playing familiar favorites for today’s listeners.

It will be interesting to see how many other Iheart owned stations around the nation will get a format flip with The Breeze brand in their markets.

It will be interesting to see how many other Iheart owned stations around the nation will get a format flip with The Breeze brand in their markets.

Looking at Hartford's cluster, I'd say it's a real longshot to come here. WTIC is the lone Hot AC, WHCN is the lone classic hits, WKSS is the lone CHR, and WUCS is the lone sports. All but WUCS are doing just fine, and I don't think iHeart would just give up on sports, especially now that it has the rights to UConn as well as the NY Yankees. Maybe Red Wolf (or Full Power or whatever that bare-bones operation calls itself) will flip WDRC-FM or WMRQ to a Breeze-ish format.

When Iheartradio started "The Breeze" in 2016 Iheart was trying to make 98.1 FM a Northern California Version of KOST-FM Los Angeles initially. All the stations owned by iheart that have so far rebranded their stations as the Breeze after KISQ-FM but in fact the playlists were modeled after 103.5FM Los Angeles. I don't see KOST FM being renamed "The Breeze" given that KOST has had 36 years brand recognition and good ratings of the AC Format in Radio Market 2.

When Iheartradio started "The Breeze" in 2016 Iheart was trying to make 98.1 FM a Northern California Version of KOST-FM Los Angeles initially. All the stations owned by iheart that have so far rebranded their stations as the Breeze after KISQ-FM but in fact the playlists were modeled after 103.5FM Los Angeles. I don't see KOST FM being renamed "The Breeze" given that KOST has had 36 years brand recognition and good ratings of the AC Format in Radio Market 2.

KOST is way more contemporary and edgier than KISQ

KOST is way more contemporary and edgier than KISQ

Very little overlap between the newest "Breeze" in Philly and KOST as well.

Those major market iHeart stations are each programmed and researched for their own markets and competitive situations.

Is it possible that the lack of current pure pop product from artists like Adele, Ed Sheeran, Shawn Mendes, Coldplay and Bruno Mars on CHR is causing somewhat of a backlash causing younger listeners to seek out these soft AC stations?

Is it possible that the lack of current pure pop product from artists like Adele, Ed Sheeran, Shawn Mendes, Coldplay and Bruno Mars on CHR is causing somewhat of a backlash causing younger listeners to seek out these soft AC stations?

That's an interesting question. It's one thing to seek out a few songs like this. It's quite another to listen to hours of it. That's where the country format might also benefit, because, like CHR, it combines ballads and tempo songs in a format that is driven by lyrics. One of the biggest country songs of this year is a song called "Heaven" by a 25 year old singer named Kane Brown. That song could very easily be a hit in CHR. In fact one of the writers is a well-known pop and R&B writer. It won an American Music Award for Favorite Country Song.

https://www.iheart.com/live/925-the-breeze-4366/

Iheart Sacramento also has the Breeze at 92.5FM for the valley.

https://1061thebreeze.iheart.com/

here is the Official page for 106.1 The Breeze in Philadelphia.

https://981thebreeze.iheart.com/

and here is the original station that started "the Breeze" branding for Iheart.

Keep in mind that these modern radio names...brands, whatever you want to call them - are fluid, and often used for different formats. The most obvious example is KISQ's former brand: "Kiss-FM." In most markets, "Kiss-FM" is attached to versions of the CHR format, but in the SF Bay Area, it was a soul-oriented classic hits format. Prior to "Kiss," 98.1 was "K-Big" but had nothing to do formatically with KBIG in LA.

The Bay Area has had 2 "Stars" over the decades (98.9/99.1 in the late '80's, and 101.3 now) -different formats. For a minute in the 90's, 93.3 was "The Wave" but was not similar in format to the famous station of that brand in LA. The same applies to "The Breeze." While the name denotes light and soft music of some kind...I doubt you'd find a Classic Rock station with that name - there is no reason to think that brand requires the same format in different markets.

Looking at Hartford's cluster, I'd say it's a real longshot to come here. WTIC is the lone Hot AC, WHCN is the lone classic hits, WKSS is the lone CHR, and WUCS is the lone sports. All but WUCS are doing just fine, and I don't think iHeart would just give up on sports, especially now that it has the rights to UConn as well as the NY Yankees. Maybe Red Wolf (or Full Power or whatever that bare-bones operation calls itself) will flip WDRC-FM or WMRQ to a Breeze-ish format.

They could bring the Breeze to WKSS, as WKCI is another CHR owned by iHeart that comes in throughout most of the Hartford market — along with New Haven and Bridgeport.

Yeah....that's not what that article says. They're labeling their HD-2 "The Breeze" to keep a competitor from using the branding. Very different from putting it on the mothership.

So you're saying that some smart station a couple decades ago should have named their station Wildkisswavestarnow <frequency>?

So you're saying that some smart station a couple decades ago should have named their station Wildkisswavestarnow <frequency>?

No. I'm saying that "KEZ" has a couple of decades of brand equity. They likely won't re-brand it, but they don't want the (increasingly successful) "Breeze" brand used against them.

https://radioinsight.com/ross/172026/why-soft-ac-is-booming-now/

Here is an editorial on why the Breeze is expanding outside of San Francisco.

If you believe that a format called Soft Adult Contemporary can boom, it’s booming now. On Monday, Nov. 12, when iHeart’s WISX Philadelphia and KBEB Sacramento and Entercom’s WDZH Detroit dropped Throwback Hip-Hop and Top 40 respectively, each to become “The Breeze,” the Soft AC building boom took on the same sort of momentum that defined the growth of Bob- and Jack-FM-type Adult Hits in 2004-05. At this moment, it’s occupying the headspace of a lot of radio people in a similar fashion, and for similar reasons. Jockeying is suddenly taking place for a format that has been hiding in plain sight for years.

So why now? I was asked that Monday, shortly after the Philly news broke, and the list of reasons isn’t short.

The Millennial AC Miracle Is Endangered. The steady stream of mother/daughter-friendly music making its way from Top 40 allowed Mainstream AC to eliminate the ‘70s, reduce the number of ‘80s songs, and force tempo. Then, around the time of Katy Perry’s “Dark Horse,” EDM and Hip-Hop-influenced ballads started to make their way into the format, each one a record that adult women really seemed to like. Now, that discussion is about “Never Be the Same” by Camila Cabello. Or is it “In My Blood” by Shawn Mendes? Because that’s almost all CHR is sending now.

Meanwhile, AC has essentially disabled its ability to start songs without Top 40. “Tequila” by Dan + Shay and “You Say” by Lauren Daigle are the 2018 equivalent of “Live Like You Were Dying” by Tim McGraw and “I Can Only Imagine” by Mercy Me — the sober but quite legitimate Country and Christian AC crossovers that gave AC something to play in the early-to-mid-‘00s, before the CHR product began flowing again. (And, yes, this particular take on “Tequila” is quite sober.) But Mainstream AC isn’t even playing those songs yet. In most cases, they’re expected to go through a six-month apprenticeship at CHR, or at least Hot AC, first.

The Success Stories Have Accumulated. WDUV Tampa was always successful with the format but seemed to be regarded as an anomaly by the industry — if it even noticed. WFEZ (Easy 93) Miami, then KISQ (The Breeze) San Francisco, each battled back and forth with the incumbent ACs. But the current success of those stations, plus the growth of KSWD (the Sound) Seattle, has created the critical mass a format boom needs.

https://radioinsight.com/ross/172026/why-soft-ac-is-booming-now/

Here is an editorial on why the Breeze is expanding outside of San Francisco.

I'll never understand it, but that's just me. This kind of soft-rock glop makes me want to stuff my ears full of cotton candy and climb into a sensory deprivation tank. And I'm by no means a hard-rock kind of music fan. I prefer medium tempo pop, jazz, and soul. I think of the Breeze type format as being a 70's - 80's thing - when the "Beautiful Music" stations morphed into soft rock, and played a lot of Manilow type music. Over the years, these stations (like KOIT) morphed further into livelier music and more mainstream CHR. A turning point I remember is about a decade ago when I first heard a Springsteen song on KOIT, which eventually turned CHR, albeit on the soft side.

So clearly there is a market for the format KOIT gave up. Call me when it's over.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom