• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

"The Breeze" Brand going to other Iheart Owned stations

The Breeze just blew into Boston yesterday on iHeart's 94.5 WJMN HD2. There is already a soft AC station here in Boston, Entercom's "The Cove" on 103.3 WODS HD3.

Listening right now. Rod Stewart's "Reason to Believe" into Phil Collins' "Against All Odds" into the Beatles' "And I Love Her" into a new track to me, Jermaine Jackson & Whitney Houston's "If You Say My Eyes Are Beautiful." Too sleepy for my ears. I like what I've heard of the Breeze format better, but I admit the Cove is truer to the "soft and relaxing" style.

Listening right now. Rod Stewart's "Reason to Believe" into Phil Collins' "Against All Odds" into the Beatles' "And I Love Her" into a new track to me, Jermaine Jackson & Whitney Houston's "If You Say My Eyes Are Beautiful." Too sleepy for my ears. I like what I've heard of the Breeze format better, but I admit the Cove is truer to the "soft and relaxing" style.

The Breeze is pretty good too, although a little more upbeat.

I wish they would'nt play that annoying Alicia Keys song "This Girl's on Fire."

That dosen't belong on a soft AC station. More for 12 year old girls. When that comes on I turn it off.

The Boston Breeze is not online.

I wish they would'nt play that annoying Alicia Keys song "This Girl's on Fire."

That dosen't belong on a soft AC station. More for 12 year old girls. When that comes on I turn it off.

It peaked at #14 on the AC chart, and #10 on the Adult Top 40 chart.

Keep in mind that these modern radio names...brands, whatever you want to call them - are fluid, and often used for different formats. The most obvious example is KISQ's former brand: "Kiss-FM." In most markets, "Kiss-FM" is attached to versions of the CHR format, but in the SF Bay Area, it was a soul-oriented classic hits format. Prior to "Kiss," 98.1 was "K-Big" but had nothing to do formatically with KBIG in LA.

The Bay Area has had 2 "Stars" over the decades (98.9/99.1 in the late '80's, and 101.3 now) -different formats. For a minute in the 90's, 93.3 was "The Wave" but was not similar in format to the famous station of that brand in LA. The same applies to "The Breeze." While the name denotes light and soft music of some kind...I doubt you'd find a Classic Rock station with that name - there is no reason to think that brand requires the same format in different markets.

Apparently on some of the threads in areas where Iheart has done a format flip in other parts of the country "The Breeze" is on an HD-2 or HD-3 in places like New York, Los Angeles, Boston so far and its coming out of Ihearts national feed for the Breeze. In this case Iheart wants the Breeze name to be attached to the Soft AC or Mainstream AC in various parts of the county the way its going right now.

Apparently on some of the threads in areas where Iheart has done a format flip in other parts of the country "The Breeze" is on an HD-2 or HD-3 in places like New York, Los Angeles, Boston so far and its coming out of Ihearts national feed for the Breeze. In this case Iheart wants the Breeze name to be attached to the Soft AC or Mainstream AC in various parts of the county the way its going right now.

Again - The Breeze is just a brand name, like "Excel." It's a laundry detergent. No wait - it's a SAT tutoring program for high-school students. No - wait - it's a spreadsheet software program...

Subtract an "e" in the middle, and add an "Fe" at the front, and it's what you spray your couch with after your cat pees on it.

I hadn't been able to bring myself to tune in yet, but my Uber driver was playing 98.1 on my ride the other day. If that ten minute exposure was typical of their format, I have to admit that it wasn't bad - reasonably upbeat, with a variety of sounds...not just soft rock glop.

http://broadcastdialogue.com/stingray-set-to-flip-classic-hits-stations-in-edmonton-and-vancouver/

Update in Canada there are talks that radio stations in Vancouver and Edmonton will flip to The Breeze soon and it will take into effect on December 26th.

Stingray has announced that it’s flipping its Classic Hits stations in Vancouver and Edmonton.

LG 104.3 (CHLG-FM) Vancouver and 96.3 Capital FM (CKRA-FM) Edmonton will be re-branded as 104.3 The Breeze and 96.3 The Breeze, respectively, playing “easy, relaxing, and familiar favourites.” The format flip will happen at midnight on Dec. 26.

Stingray says listeners can expect a broad playlist spanning five decades, from the 1970s through today, featuring artists like Lionel Richie, Elton John, Ed Sheeran, Whitney Houston, Sara McLachlan, Billy Joel, and Adele.

Steve Jones, SVP Brands & Content, Radio, told Broadcast Dialogue, that the company has been watching the rise of The Breeze format in several U.S. markets over the past year, including San Francisco, Philadelphia, and Detroit, among others.

“We saw an opportunity in both Edmonton and Vancouver to fill a void that was glaring,” said Jones. “Both markets lack a radio station like this, and Edmonton has no AC station at all. So, we saw a window for ratings and revenue growth in two of Canada’s best radio markets, and we decided to seize it.”

WMSX FM Buffalo, NY (Townsquare Media) had branded itself as Mix 96 for the past couple years and leaned towards hot AC. About 5 years ago, before the Mix branding, they dubbed themselves as “Joy FM” and leaned towards soft AC. After flipping to all Christmas this season (for the first time under the “Mix” branding) the station just rebranded (12/25 11:50pm) As 96.1 the Breeze, playing “Relaxing Favorites”. Interesting as the soft AC didn’t seem to work under the previous “JOY FM” branding...,but “The Breeze” is being adopted by almost every market, every radio company, large and small.

Blowing up a 34 year-old CHR in a separate market that's doing quite well because of signal overlap (which has never been an issue) to follow a new trend? Yeah, that makes *perfect* sense.

Radio is like the movie industry these days. No original thought or creativity in radio these days...

"The Breeze" worked in one market, it must work in ALL markets.

Radio is like the movie industry these days. No original thought or creativity in radio these days...

The roll-out was very slow. It started, in its current form, almost 3 years ago in Miami. It took a while for operators to be certain it was working there in salable demos. Then they did testing in their own markets and went in knowing that it would work.

Of course, that awful idea of playing the same 40 tunes over and over would only work in Omaha.

The roll-out was very slow. It started, in its current form, almost 3 years ago in Miami. It took a while for operators to be certain it was working there in salable demos. Then they did testing in their own markets and went in knowing that it would work.

Of course, that awful idea of playing the same 40 tunes over and over would only work in Omaha.

Very nice! I wonder how many people caught that. Todd Storz is laughing as we speak!

Very nice! I wonder how many people caught that. Todd Storz is laughing as we speak!

Anecdote time: I had the good fortune to meet Todd shortly prior to his passing in 1964. I was a 17-year-old kid with a license to put on the air what would become South America's first Top 40 station, and I knew about as much as any other teen about running a station. I was introduced to Todd while visiting WQAM on my way to Quito with all the studio gear, and he both believed me (a leap of faith, for sure) and took an interest, spending hours teaching me the basics of running a Top 40 station.

Americans are more alike than different, especially in our hyper-connected world.

The Breeze is now in San Diego also, on KMYI 94.1's HD3. And this might be one of the better markets for it. The similar-sounding "Easy 98.1" reached #1 in the ratings a few years ago (albeit on a regular analog channel)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom