• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

It's that time of year again.....Christmas music

EricSF

New Participating Member
So, Thanksgiving is about a week and a half out... Many stations across the country have already flipped (major markets) including KOST LA, WNIC Detroit, WLIT Chicago, KYXY San Diego, KLUV Dallas, KKCW Portland..... Any way, KOIT HD-2 has been ringing the jingle bells since October 27ish. When will they make the flip on analog/HD-1... I'm thinking this Friday (11/16). Thoughts? Also, KBAY (now BAY FM) will NOT be flipping to 100% Christmas music this year. I've confirmed with their station they will only play some Christmas songs here and there after Thanksgiving.... So, will the Bay Area see a new Christmas station this year? Also, while KOIT will be sure to have great Christmas ratings, will they lose loyal listeners over the Christmas period to KISQ?

So, Thanksgiving is about a week and a half out... Many stations across the country have already flipped (major markets) including KOST LA, WNIC Detroit, WLIT Chicago, KYXY San Diego, KLUV Dallas, KKCW Portland..... Any way, KOIT HD-2 has been ringing the jingle bells since October 27ish. When will they make the flip on analog/HD-1... I'm thinking this Friday (11/16). Thoughts? Also, KBAY (now BAY FM) will NOT be flipping to 100% Christmas music this year. I've confirmed with their station they will only play some Christmas songs here and there after Thanksgiving.... So, will the Bay Area see a new Christmas station this year? Also, while KOIT will be sure to have great Christmas ratings, will they lose loyal listeners over the Christmas period to KISQ?

I think the question is: how much Xmas music will KISQ play, if any?

What about KKIQ and KUIC flipping to all Christmas?

Maybe KYLD(Wild 94-9) should take on KOIT in the Christmas music race this year!

I don't think Iheart will go all Christmas in the Bay Area this year. They have a tendency to flip their stations early. Would have already happened, and well before KOIT too. I'm thinking KOIT will be solo with Christmas hits this year, which makes sense! Speaking of KOIT, not super impressed with their programming so far.... not in terms of music, but in terms of imaging/branding. Last year they had liners like, The Bay Area's official Christmas Music station at work, at night, on the weekend for their respective times. Now it's just at work. Kind of weird to hear "Christmas station at work on a Sunday...." Not a big deal, just kind of weird. Also listening for a brief period today and whoever was supposed to read the Weather missed their time so there was just a Reel World music bed playing for a solid 45 seconds. Strange for like 6:45 pm?

KOIT decided to pull "Baby It's Cold Outside" after a station in Cleveland (Star 102) did so and sparked a national debate! Now it appears to be backfiring on them, as PD Brian Figula confirmed they've been receiving hundreds of calls, emails, & social media messages demanding the song be put back into rotation. The story was covered by Dion Lim of ABC 7 (KGO-TV) and picked up by the SF Gate and Mercury News. KOIT posted a poll and set it as their pinned tweet. So far over 1,200 people have voted, 94% voting to place the song back on! A decision is to be announced December 10th at 7:20am! Thoughts? Can a Christmas song from 1944 really offend that many people - even if the lyrics are somewhat inappropriate in today's culture? DID PC America go too far? In the mean time this means listeners can now enjoy the same 29 Christmas songs on shuffle as opposed to 30.

KOIT decided to pull "Baby It's Cold Outside" after a station in Cleveland (Star 102) did so and sparked a national debate! Now it appears to be backfiring on them, as PD Brian Figula confirmed they've been receiving hundreds of calls, emails, & social media messages demanding the song be put back into rotation. The story was covered by Dion Lim of ABC 7 (KGO-TV) and picked up by the SF Gate and Mercury News. KOIT posted a poll and set it as their pinned tweet. So far over 1,200 people have voted, 94% voting to place the song back on! A decision is to be announced December 10th at 7:20am! Thoughts? Can a Christmas song from 1944 really offend that many people - even if the lyrics are somewhat inappropriate in today's culture? DID PC America go too far? In the mean time this means listeners can now enjoy the same 29 Christmas songs on shuffle as opposed to 30.

I'm a pretty liberal, politically correct person, but I think calling those lyrics objectionable from a "Me Too" orientation is really a stretch. I get that some songs are objectionable in retrospect. For example, the Police's Every Breath You Take (1983) truly does come off like a stalker song. About a month ago, I downloaded Get Out of My Dreams (Get Into My Car) by Billy Ocean (1986) because I remembered liking it. But upon hearing it again, I was shocked...it sounds kind of rapey. But Baby It's Cold Outside? I don't think it rises to that level.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom