• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

106.1 The Breeze

As a curiosity- WISX flipped to the wind gust or whatever back on the 17th of Nov if I remember correctly. Now, it's the fifth. They had to have played 10,000 songs by now right? They can't be commercial free much longer. They gotta start playing some spots soon to make some sort of cash flow.

Let's just assume for easiest counting, each song is on average 4 minutes long. That would be 15 songs per hour (yeah yeah, imaging etc... just go with it for ease of math). 10,000 songs divided by 15 songs per hour would be 666 2/3 hours. Or approximately 27-28 days. Let's say 28 to factor in imaging.

WISX flipped on 11/12. Add on 28 days, that would put it on Monday 12/10. Seems reasonable.

Let's just assume for easiest counting, each song is on average 4 minutes long. That would be 15 songs per hour (yeah yeah, imaging etc... just go with it for ease of math). 10,000 songs divided by 15 songs per hour would be 666 2/3 hours. Or approximately 27-28 days. Let's say 28 to factor in imaging.

WISX flipped on 11/12. Add on 28 days, that would put it on Monday 12/10. Seems reasonable.

That was goddamn impressive.

Let's have a contest to see who can guess the first commercial. Is Poligrip still a thing?

I think their target should be local restaurants, higher priced car dealers, and other local services.

Use the national ads as scatter.

Restaurants, I can see, but are car dealers going to be interested in a station whose audience is likely to be primarily 40+ women? I hear a lot more auto advertising on sports, news/talk and classic rock stations than I do on any variety of AC.

Restaurants, I can see, but are car dealers going to be interested in a station whose audience is likely to be primarily 40+ women? I hear a lot more auto advertising on sports, news/talk and classic rock stations than I do on any variety of AC.

And restaurants, other than agency-managed fast food ones, are notoriously slow pay / no pay.

Damn, nearly a MONTH commercial free! That's impressive as hell. Radio 104.5 can barely do one of their listener appreciation days commercial free. WMMR has the afternoon 12-pack commercial free. The breeze does a month.

Damn, nearly a MONTH commercial free! That's impressive as hell. Radio 104.5 can barely do one of their listener appreciation days commercial free. WMMR has the afternoon 12-pack commercial free. The breeze does a month.

When a station is new (such as a radical change of format) they have no clients.

There is no revenue to be lost. And the promotion for the new station is something the sales department of The Breeze can use to book more pre-sold contracts: "wouldn't you like your ads to be among the very first on this exciting new station?"

For an existing station to go commercial free for even an hour can mean thousands of dollars in revenue. WMMR bills an average of $60,000 a day... and most of that is between 6 AM and 7 PM. So they can't do much without a serious revenue sacrifice.

The Breeze had zero billing when it changed format. Zero dollars in lost revenue. Lots of money in free promotion.

By the way, when was the last time you were in an elevator that actually had music, any kind of music, piped in? I can't even recall when I was in one last.
Elevators had music when they first got rid of human operators, and people were afraid of being in a moving box totally under machine control, so they added calming music. Now that elevators are generally less scary, there is less need for elevator music.

Elevators had music when they first got rid of human operators, and people were afraid of being in a moving box totally under machine control, so they added calming music. Now that elevators are generally less scary, there is less need for elevator music.

In a good number of office buildings (and hotels) I’ve been in, nearly everyone has their own music...or podcasts, or whatever....going with their earbuds.

But to the question of actual music in an elevator, a few hotels I’ve been in, mostly the “trendy” type, do have some music going. Sort of a general background dance type beat to keep up the overall vibe. Otherwise, plenty of screens, but not a whole lot of sound.

It would make sense to do commercial free Mondays in early 2019.
And also play a few Christmas card songs this month

The 10,000 songs in a row is over, and 106.1 The Breeze now has commercials today, as well as weather and traffic reports.

What sort of advertisers were you hearing? (I'm at work so if I stream them, I won't be hearing OTA ads.)

On 106.1 I heard a promo for "Breakthrough Radio on 102.5 FM in Center City" (the FM translator of 1480 WDAS). It's not unusual to hear cross-promotion between iHeart stations, but odd to hear them promoting this one.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom