• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

B101 just went all Christmas

Miguelito

Star Participant
Flipped with apparently none of the usual fanfare. Just a top of the hour and then Andy Williams.

EDIT: No, they didn't. LOL. They're still trying to act cool. haha. Just "sprinkling."

EDIT EDIT: I think they're effin with ME PERSONALLY. haha. It sounds like they are doing the fanfare right now. haha. Fully flipped! MERRY CHRISTMAS.

Last edited:
Why are they playing the Peter, Paul, and Mary song on the air?!?! They always play it on the stream/HD2 preview but I am pretty sure I've never heard it on the terrestrial. Please tell me that 99.5 isn't going to be my ONLY option this year. hahaha.

And to keep people away from the new breeze on 106, the B is reminding people who don’t want Christmas music, the regular programming is on their HD2 channel as well as Radio.com or listen to their sister station WOGL. I guess WOGL isn’t going Christmas this year?

SiriusXM already has three Christmas channels on the satellite with an additional 10 streaming only.

Apart from the new sister station, they've typically mentioned the regular programming is on HD2--or for a couple of years, on their app (when it was their own app). That's not a specific response to 106.

Apart from the new sister station, they've typically mentioned the regular programming is on HD2--or for a couple of years, on their app (when it was their own app). That's not a specific response to 106.

Yesterday, they mentioned the "Too soon? You can listen to our stream/HD2" literally every time they cracked the mic. I don't think it's so much to keep people away from 106.1 for a few reasons: People don't even know The Breeze exists; if they did know, they'd surely try it out before fiddling with an app or stream (so what's the point?); and WBEB has literally never flipped to Christmas this early and they're probably nervous about listener reaction. (Which is a little silly because I'm sure they'd still do gangbusters if they flipped on the first Friday of November every single year. People obviously and demonstrably tune to them in droves as soon as they make the switch.)

People are still partying at midnight. And I'm sure somewhere, some folks had to work and were listening. Sad to have it cut off that way! Personally, I'd have just kept it on til the morning show kicked off.

They are apparently still playing a song or two per block, so it's not total cold turkey (or whatever your meal of choice may be). But by and large, you can't appease everyone. I'm not sure there's a huge contingent of partiers out there with B101 on in the background by midnight. Even back before streaming options out the wazzoo, the full-time format ended at midnight.

They plugged the HD2/stream yesterday (extensively). Can't say as I can figure out how to stream it on Radio.com or their website via phone--I tried hitting the Christmas link and wound up with regular music. Repeatedly. Then again, streaming yesterday was less than ideal with Radio.com inserting ads in the midst of songs. Methinks my longstanding tradition of 101 on Christmas morning has come to an end as of this year. I'll take the superior experience of Amazon music (even if as a nerd, I'll miss the jingles).

In NYC, WLTW still plays some Christmas music through the New Year.

Since 8 AM today they've played:

ANDY WILLIAMS - The Most Wonderful Time Of The Year
MICHAEL BUBLE - Let It Snow, Let It Snow...
BRETT ELDREDGE - Baby, It's Cold Outside f/M. Trainor
AMY GRANT- Sleigh Ride
NAT KING COLE- Deck The Halls
DAN FOGELBERG - Same Old Lang Syne
BRENDA LEE - Jingle Bell Rock
ANDY WILLIAMS - Happy Holiday
EURYTHMICS - Winter Wonderland
JOHNNY MATHIS - It's The Most Wonderful Time Of The Year
HARRY CONNICK, JR. - Sleigh Ride

That's about two holiday songs per hour.

Actually B101 went to its regular format before midnight on Dec. 25. I listened in around 10:30pm and it was regular music.

They are apparently still playing a song or two per block, so it's not total cold turkey (or whatever your meal of choice may be). But by and large, you can't appease everyone. I'm not sure there's a huge contingent of partiers out there with B101 on in the background by midnight. Even back before streaming options out the wazzoo, the full-time format ended at midnight.

They plugged the HD2/stream yesterday (extensively). Can't say as I can figure out how to stream it on Radio.com or their website via phone--I tried hitting the Christmas link and wound up with regular music. Repeatedly. Then again, streaming yesterday was less than ideal with Radio.com inserting ads in the midst of songs. Methinks my longstanding tradition of 101 on Christmas morning has come to an end as of this year. I'll take the superior experience of Amazon music (even if as a nerd, I'll miss the jingles).

This is the first year I really didn't listen much to Christmas music on the radio. I listened almost exclusively to Amazon's Christmas stations. It's kinda sad but I guess this is the new reality!

The stream on the Radio.com app appears to at least have the Christmas music going today. And More FM jingles.

I was in a car yesterday and I turned to their HD2 and it was the '80s channel. Don't they usually put the Christmas music back on there for a few days after Christmas?

This is the first year I really didn't listen much to Christmas music on the radio. I listened almost exclusively to Amazon's Christmas stations. It's kinda sad but I guess this is the new reality!

With Alexas all over the house, Amazon holiday favorites was a frequent go to. Didn’t really try others. Also did some from my own playlists, and in the car, mostly XM’s Hallmark radio. Some of their Manhiem Steamroller channel, and some Holly—though this year I found myself not enjoying that channel nearly as much. I actually felt like B 101 had better music overall, but...well...no commercials was pretty darned appealing.

Back to the Radio.com stream, there’s both some B and More imaging intermingled.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom