Is B101 actually getting softer? REALLY?

Thread: Is B101 actually getting softer? REALLY?

Is B101 actually getting softer? REALLY?

I was skeptical about claims that the station is softening up in light of a Soft AC on the horizon. I mean, it sounds like a really stupid thing to do. They're currently playing "I've Had the Time of My Life" by Bill Medley and Jennifer Warnes (a great song for WOGL). After "Crazy" by Gnarls Barkley. Gross. I guess if anyone can make a go of trying too hard, it's B101. But...just ew. LOL
    It ain't no country club either.

That song is still standard fare on many mainstream AC stations. So I doubt B101 is turning into Soft AC; they're just leaning less towards Hot AC than they used to.

Quote Originally Posted by kevtronics View Post
    That song is still standard fare on many mainstream AC stations. So I doubt B101 is turning into Soft AC; they're just leaning less towards Hot AC than they used to.
    I know they'd never morph into Soft AC but I don't think they need to soften up at all. They sounded great doing what they were doing. I turned them off when that song came on because it just didn't fit with what they've been playing, what I was expecting, and the reason I tuned in. Just seems like a bad idea to make your station younger (successfully) and then suddenly start throwing in occasional relics of the past ("tune-outs").

I really think reacting to 106.1's alleged new format is a bad idea. But that's just one very occasional listener's opinion. I liked having them as my first option whenever I was in a "terrestrial situation" but hell, the company will still get my occasional listening since I'll probably just end up listening to WOGL instead. Hopefully they don't screw up the Christmas library! At least let me have that! lol
    It ain't no country club either.

Real 106.1 is playing Christmas music and it sounds a lot like the old Sunny 104.5

Some weird stuff is going on with ac/classic rock stations being #1 18-34, even Easy 931 in Miami which is soft ac. It might just be that a majority of those who use terrestrial radio in the young demos want older music....the rest are gone to streaming etc.