• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

The Most Wonderful Time of Year

It should not be about owning the formast. It should be about a gradual increase to build anticipation for the holidays without alienating your regular listeners.

And yet, it doesn't alienate the P1s. In fact, it attracts even more. That's why radio stations do it. It works.

It should not be about owning the formast. It should be about a gradual increase to build anticipation for the holidays without alienating your regular listeners. Am I a dude? I am a male, but to me "dude" is an offensive term to describe males. Sure, I love Christmas music, but not being slammed to death with it two weeks before Thanksgiving. It's like Thanksgiving doesn't even exist anymore.

R

The pumpkin-spiced everything in your supermarket isn't enough reminder that Thanksgiving exists for you? As for radio, OK, name me a couple of hundred Thanksgiving songs they could play from Halloween through Nov. 22 this year.

It shouldn't be about owning the format??? That's entirely what building a brand a station is about?? If we're talking about building a playlist for your iTunes account- I would agree with you.

I'd suggest you program a station with this "gradual" increase to build anticipation - while the competition goes all christmas and completely destroys you.

OK so who owns the format when two stations started it at about the same time???

Yeah, that's what I thought!

R

Robert, you would love it here in Nashville. We typically* only lose our AC and Christian AC stations to this nonsense, and even then, only around Thanksgiving. The FISH (the Christian AC) will probably do a "teaser" of Christmas music this Saturday, if previous years are any indication. So no real loss here, since usually only those two blow out their usual formats.

*I say "typically" here because last year, our classic hits station (93.3) also joined in on this nonsense. They are dial-positioned BETWEEN 92.9 and the FISH, but the days of analog dials are long gone, so I am wondering how few people they tricked by trying that. 93.3 did NOT go all-Christmas in 2016, their first year in existence, at least as a classic hits station, so rumors of an impending format change abounded, but those rumors proved unfounded. 93.3 is only a translator here, so their signal, and thus their impact on other "all-Christmas" stations here, would be limited.

Usually whoever promotes the most and is first in. But for sure won't own it "sprinkling" in Xmas music...

Again, go up against a station that plays all xmas vs. some titles... let me know how your ratings go.

Usually whoever promotes the most and is first in. But for sure won't own it "sprinkling" in Xmas music...

Again, go up against a station that plays all xmas vs. some titles... let me know how your ratings go.

Sigh......SMH

R

Please keep me posted on your ratings success with that strategy! Not being a #### either... just have never seen that work..

Please keep me posted on your ratings success with that strategy! Not being a #### either... just have never seen that work..

Like hell...

The simple fact is you're stuck on CRUSHING THE COMPETITION.....OWNING THE FORMAT'....MAKING A BOATLOAD OF MONEY...

Did you even READ that article I posted?

Let's face the obvious here...I don't share your mindset. In fact, I originally stated I don't care about why radio does this, in an effort to avoid carrying on this type of conversation.. Clearly that didn't work and I'm an idiot for thinking it would.

If I did what you wanted and it fell well below your expectations, even though it met mine, are still going to rave and ridicule me?

Finally, I use my real name here while you hide behind an alias.

We're done here

R

The pumpkin-spiced everything in your supermarket isn't enough reminder that Thanksgiving exists for you?
Geeze, they start that crap on Labor Day now! Even the wife (who likes pumpkin-spiced everything!) thinks that that is a bit much! (I'm just waiting for all the mint stuff, myself!)
As for radio, OK, name me a couple of hundred Thanksgiving songs they could play from Halloween through Nov. 22 this year.
Why do we even NEED a month's worth of music leading up to ANY holiday? I'm usually tired of "Monster Mash," "Thriller," and "Somebody's Watching Me" by the time Halloween is over!

OK so who owns the format when two stations started it at about the same time???
I've noticed that no one ever seems to be able to answer this.

Usually whoever promotes the most and is first in.
Not necessarily. The FISH here in Nashville almost always starts ahead of Mix 92.9, sometimes by up to a week. And they both promote it heavily, with billboards all over town, etc. But Mix still seems to be the go-to station for Christmas music. This despite the FISH being on at least THREE frequencies by now.

Likewise, I am watching Memphis to see if KIM-FM can gain any advantage over WRVR by starting well before WRVR. But 'RVR is the go-to station for Christmas music in the bluff city (has been for years now), so it will be interesting to see if KIM can make a dent.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom