• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

The Most Wonderful Time of Year

Ryan Williams

Star Participant
Star 102.1 flipped to all-Christmas earlier today, November 8th. KLUV hasn't responded yet and is still spinning The Greatest Hits as of right now.

Interesting that Star flipped a day earlier than iHeart stations in Chicago & LA.

It's also interesting how similar the music log looks to the stations in Chicago & LA.

BLEAH! Way too early for this nonsense....I don't care what it does for the ratings when considering two out of twelve is temporary.

R

It was funny when Fox 4 said that a "new radio station" is now playing Christmas music and turned out to be Star 102.1 (or in this case Star 1.021).

http://www.fox4news.com/news/new-dallas-radio-station-will-play-non-stop-christmas-music

BLEAH! Way too early for this nonsense....I don't care what it does for the ratings when considering two out of twelve is temporary.

R

I'd imagine they can bill the advertisers more for these two months. That in itself would justify the early flip from a business sense, and radio is a business.

Yes I already know that and still think it's stupid.

R

I do think it's a bit early. I think there can be some potential issues with folks who like a format not finding it there for two months and trying something else out for a while if they aren't that in to an all-Christmas format.

I do think it's a bit early. I think there can be some potential issues with folks who like a format not finding it there for two months and trying something else out for a while if they aren't that in to an all-Christmas format.

Really it would be better if they sprinkle it in starting on black Friday and gradually add more as Christmas approaches.

R

Really it would be better if they sprinkle it in starting on black Friday and gradually add more as Christmas approaches.

R

It's not like every radio station in town has flipped to Christmas. Only one or two. Lots of other stations stick to their format.

It's not like every radio station in town has flipped to Christmas. Only one or two. Lots of other stations stick to their format.

And usually the stations that flip are AC, the most vanilla format there is (next to soft AC, the enthusiasm for which on this board deeply puzzles me). The world is full of rock fans and hip-hop fans and country fans who all proudly define themselves that way. Who would ever describe himself or herself an adult contemporary fan or even a pop fan? Most AC listeners aren't obsessive about the music they like to listen to. They're just looking for pleasant, lively background music to make the day go faster. The ones who don't care for Christmas music -- and the numbers show that they are few, because Christmas music is generally just as vanilla as AC -- drift off to their market's CHR or Hot AC or pop-country stations for these six or seven weeks and don't go whining on the internet about how much they hate what Lite or Mix is doing. They've been around the block long enough to know that this is what some radio stations do this time of year. That they're doing it a couple of weeks earlier matters to an insignificant number of them.

And usually the stations that flip are AC, the most vanilla format there is (next to soft AC, the enthusiasm for which on this board deeply puzzles me). The world is full of rock fans and hip-hop fans and country fans who all proudly define themselves that way. Who would ever describe himself or herself an adult contemporary fan or even a pop fan? Most AC listeners aren't obsessive about the music they like to listen to. They're just looking for pleasant, lively background music to make the day go faster. The ones who don't care for Christmas music -- and the numbers show that they are few, because Christmas music is generally just as vanilla as AC -- drift off to their market's CHR or Hot AC or pop-country stations for these six or seven weeks and don't go whining on the internet about how much they hate what Lite or Mix is doing. They've been around the block long enough to know that this is what some radio stations do this time of year. That they're doing it a couple of weeks earlier matters to an insignificant number of them.

Wow... So even the minority can't share an opinion without being ridiculed?

R

Couple thoughts from all these posts...

To "sprinkle" in Christmas songs would not own Christmas music in the market. You would be thought of 2nd or if at all. Much like "sprinkled in hip hop" titles would not make you the hip hop station. And there is a massive audience for Christmas whether "we" get it or not. My guess is too most of these posts are from dudes... dudes and Christmas go hand in hand like chocolate and pickles.

AC does have passion - same as classic hits, classic rock or oldies. It's the music that audience grew up with, so there is passion for it. Not sure any format could exist if there was not a large enough audience that was passionate about it! (i.e. ALT 103.7 ranked 20th in the market). Perfect example is KODA in Houston - has been #1 in the market for years. You can't be #1 and be a station that lacks passion. Same for WLIT in NY.

My guess is too most of these posts are from dudes... dudes and Christmas go hand in hand like chocolate and pickles.

Ha! True! Keep in mind that the stores start gearing up for Christmas in September. Once the summer sales are done. New Christmas music gets released in mid-October. So the retail world is already in full Christmas mode. Even the grocery stores are into it. The Halloween candy has already been replaced by Christmas candy. If you're a woman, you're shopping, and if you're shopping, it's all about Christmas, and it stays that way until the 25th. So Christmas music on the station the women love is a no brainer.

Exactly... I'd rather listen to my mother in law tell me about her day... twice... vs. listen to Christmas music - but its not designed for me :)

It should not be about owning the formast. It should be about a gradual increase to build anticipation for the holidays without alienating your regular listeners. Am I a dude? I am a male, but to me "dude" is an offensive term to describe males. Sure, I love Christmas music, but not being slammed to death with it two weeks before Thanksgiving. It's like Thanksgiving doesn't even exist anymore.

R

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom