• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

SiriusXM / Sirius / XM started their Christmas music channels way too early!

97chris

Regular Participant
SiriusXM/Sirius/XM started up some of their Christmas channels I'm pretty sure right after Halloween. Don't you guys think that's way too early? Christmas music should not start until around after Thanksgiving or the start of December. SiriusXM sound quality really sucks too.

SiriusXM/Sirius/XM started up some of their Christmas channels I'm pretty sure right after Halloween. Don't you guys think that's way too early? Christmas music should not start until around after Thanksgiving or the start of December. SiriusXM sound quality really sucks too.

No. Playing Christmas music before FM is just what a rival of FM should be doing. In fact, one of the Christmas channels is available yearround online and via mobile devices.

Yes, the sound quality sucks. Today's listener doesn't care.

Did they flip existing channels or simply activate a "new" channel? If the latter there's no reason to complain, just keep listening to your favorite channels.

Yes, it's way too early!

Christmas music should not begin until after Thanksgiving. It was always that way for decades until these corporations asked for holiday greed under the tree.

One of our local stations will begin 11/16, still early, but much better than the late October starts the last 7-10 years. 106.3 KKLI

FYI the Sirius Christmas channels are commercial free. No holiday greed. Just holiday cheer.

Although one of the channels has been pimped out to the greeting card market leader and rebranded The Hallmark Channel. No out-and-out advertising, but plenty of mentions of the corporation that's making the channel possible and improving SXM's bottom line.

Did they flip existing channels or simply activate a "new" channel? If the latter there's no reason to complain, just keep listening to your favorite channels.

One of them is replacing the channel known as "Love" -- which has a softish AC/pop classic hits format. A good number of the songs regularly played on that channel aren't played anywhere else on the service. The other is on "Spotlight," Channel 4, which is usually sold to labels to hype artists who have new albums coming out or tours starting.

Come December, for a few weeks each, a couple of channels will be pre-empted for "holiday" music. No '60s and '70s soul on Soul Town, only Christmas music. No '80s and '90s country on Prime Country, only Christmas music. Some of the "missing" soul hits are also played on their appropriate decades channels, but fans of that period in R&B are out of luck if they want to hear a full playlist of soul hits on a dedicated channel. They're better off than the fans of '80s and '90s country, though, whose favorite music goes into hibernation while Garth, Trisha, George, Reba, etc. sing only of snow, Santa and occasionally a child in a manger.

One of them is replacing the channel known as "Love" -- which has a softish AC/pop classic hits format. A good number of the songs regularly played on that channel aren't played anywhere else on the service. The other is on "Spotlight," Channel 4, which is usually sold to labels to hype artists who have new albums coming out or tours starting.

Come December, for a few weeks each, a couple of channels will be pre-empted for "holiday" music. No '60s and '70s soul on Soul Town, only Christmas music. No '80s and '90s country on Prime Country, only Christmas music. Some of the "missing" soul hits are also played on their appropriate decades channels, but fans of that period in R&B are out of luck if they want to hear a full playlist of soul hits on a dedicated channel. They're better off than the fans of '80s and '90s country, though, whose favorite music goes into hibernation while Garth, Trisha, George, Reba, etc. sing only of snow, Santa and occasionally a child in a manger.

I'm pretty sure they switched Venus channel 3 to Holly since Venus is no where to be found.

I'm pretty sure they switched Venus channel 3 to Holly since Venus is no where to be found.

You're right. I was thinking that Hallmark was just Holly rebranded, but it's a different channel playing holiday standards and contemporary Christmas music. So that's two channels pre-empted by ho-ho-ho programming in early November.

Personally, I think starting Christmas music straight after Halloween is tasteless. But I can understand it from a business perspective.

It's not too early if it works for them. And just like anyone else, I had the option--and took advantage of it--not to listen.

As for Hallmark Channel radio, yes, it replaces Love....but for some years, Holly did that, and over a large part of the summer, that weird yacht rock thing took it over. Love has become more of a filler when there's not something else to play. Venus also has been preempted semi regularly, though it lives on via the app. If anything, this year having holly and holiday traditions next door to each other makes some sense.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom