• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

AM 750

With Cox now flipping WOKV-AM in Jacksonville to sports as they did with Orlando on WDBO, leaving the news/talk on the FM's, could this be the future of AM 750 when 95.5 moves in with their upgraded signal?

With Cox now flipping WOKV-AM in Jacksonville to sports as they did with Orlando on WDBO, leaving the news/talk on the FM's, could this be the future of AM 750 when 95.5 moves in with their upgraded signal?

What if the "existing private company" that Lou Dickey is reportedly buying is COx?

Hmmm that would be interesting. Get ready for top down programming that Cox has gotten away from. I did see a couple of interesting stealth job ads in All Access for a "new broadcasting and digital company"

Last edited:

What if the "existing private company" that Lou Dickey is reportedly buying is COx?

I was wondering the same thing. How many other sizable private radio companies are out there?

A signal split of WSB and WSBB was also my first thought when I heard about Cox and WOKV.

I know the original intent of this posting was not about Lew Dick, so....

I don't think Atlanta could handle another sports station, so it would not be a viable option. That said, I think that the 750 signal is a total waste now. But what do you do with a powerhouse AM signal? If you can't go all sports, what would be the options? You could do more/different talk, but that would hurt the FM's ratings.

I'd love to hear other folks ideas.

I doubt it. Atlanta has far more sports competition than Orlando or Jacksonville. Another factor is while WSB-AM has a small percentage of the total audience, would dropping it take the station out of 1st place?

Another factor is while WSB-AM has a small percentage of the total audience, would dropping it take the station out of 1st place?

Right now there has to be some still listening to the AM. The 95.5 signal is really weak in the far west and south metro. I seem to remember someone here saying they saw the ratings split between AM/FM a couple of year ago. They posted something like 20-30% are still listening on AM.

All of that aside, the question is what happens with the FM relocation? Will the AM listening drop to almost zero when 95.5 moves in the city? If so, the AM is worthless as a simulcast. Cox would then be better putting something on the AM that will pay the electric bill, upkeep, and engineers.

750 isn't going to challenge 92.9 if they flipped to sports. But it could challenge 680 with its nasty night nulls and the other two Dickey sports stations and their weenie FM translators.

Would Cox put UGA on 95.5 and Tech on 750 (stealing the Jackets from 680)? Do keep in mind that there's not really a good FM station for UGA sports northwest of town since Cox got rid of 107.1, and that won't change much even if 95.5 moves intown from Chateau Elan. 750 does carry out farther than 95.5. Not a problem northeast of town where Cox puts UGA on 106.1 and 103.7. But on the northwest side, there's a pair of class A FMs in Chattanooga and Dalton, and a translator in Calhoun, but nothing beyond that.

They could do that. But then, because the two are not a strict simulcast, the ratings would need to be split in the book. And, if it's true that 20% of listening is still on 750AM, then the overall ratings would drop, likely taking out of the number 1 spot.

I think we'll get an idea if a split is coming if, (once the new site is operational,) they start to drop the mention of the AM on the air -- except for top of the hour where they legally have to.

They could do that. But then, because the two are not a strict simulcast, the ratings would need to be split in the book. And, if it's true that 20% of listening is still on 750AM, then the overall ratings would drop, likely taking out of the number 1 spot.

I think we'll get an idea if a split is coming if, (once the new site is operational,) they start to drop the mention of the AM on the air -- except for top of the hour where they legally have to.

IIRC WBBM 780 sometimes splits from their FM 105.9 for sports but they somehow have a single listing in the ratings

Would a "straight" ESPN work on 750? There would be very "local" talent cost, possibly some kind of local update which someone at WSB could easily do. All you would have to cover would be the electric bill.

Would a "straight" ESPN work on 750? There would be very "local" talent cost, possibly some kind of local update which someone at WSB could easily do. All you would have to cover would be the electric bill.

Which is good, because the ratings will tank. In Boston, once WEEI moved its local sports talk and virtually all play-by-play to 93.7 and left 850 with a straight ESPN feed except for minor local sports play-by-play, the AM's numbers quickly sank into the 0.2-0.5 range.

Except for the mention of "AM 750", the AM side gets no mention. The TOH ID for 750 is hidden in the TOH sweeper (...FM 95.5 and AM 750 WSB Atlanta's News, Traffic, ..."). The FM side gets the separate callout of "WSBB-FM Doraville, a Cox Media Group station".

Except for the mention of "AM 750", the AM side gets no mention. The TOH ID for 750 is hidden in the TOH sweeper (...FM 95.5 and AM 750 WSB Atlanta's News, Traffic, ..."). The FM side gets the separate callout of "WSBB-FM Doraville, a Cox Media Group station".

The AM never specifically got a mention in the TOH ID even before the simulcast started. The separate mention of the FM calls is simply because they are different as is the city of license.

I know Cox is always tight lipped about things, but I am wondering if there is a target date for the new FM facility?

You're right, and I'm not sure why. The CP is public record; everyone interested knows it's going to happen. Last I heard was not earlier than this quarter but more likely in 1st quarter of 2019.

Entertainment

You guys entertain me. I need to read this more. CK.

QUOTE=RoddyFreeman;6230443]You're right, and I'm not sure why. The CP is public record; everyone interested knows it's going to happen. Last I heard was not earlier than this quarter but more likely in 1st quarter of 2019.[/QUOTE]

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom