AM 750
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AM 750

AM 750

With Cox now flipping WOKV-AM in Jacksonville to sports as they did with Orlando on WDBO, leaving the news/talk on the FM's, could this be the future of AM 750 when 95.5 moves in with their upgraded signal?

Moderator/Co-Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePowerCow View Post
    With Cox now flipping WOKV-AM in Jacksonville to sports as they did with Orlando on WDBO, leaving the news/talk on the FM's, could this be the future of AM 750 when 95.5 moves in with their upgraded signal?
    What if the "existing private company" that Lou Dickey is reportedly buying is COx?
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, Billboard, Cash Box, R&R, Record World, Music & Media, Audio, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, Popular Electronics, Studio Sound, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

Hmmm that would be interesting. Get ready for top down programming that Cox has gotten away from. I did see a couple of interesting stealth job ads in All Access for a "new broadcasting and digital company"
    Last edited by gr8oldies; 11-07-2018 at 06:21 PM. Reason: mistake

Quote Originally Posted by DavidEduardo View Post

What if the "existing private company" that Lou Dickey is reportedly buying is COx?
    I was wondering the same thing. How many other sizable private radio companies are out there?

A signal split of WSB and WSBB was also my first thought when I heard about Cox and WOKV.
    "When broadcasting over the radio, there are certain words we must omit.
    Like 'BEEP' and 'BUZZ' and 'GOBBLE-GOBBLE', by gosh we can't even say shhhhhaving cream!"

Quote Originally Posted by DavidEduardo View Post

What kind of money would it take to buy Cox radio only? Lou has $200M in dry powder...would that be enough?

I know the original intent of this posting was not about Lew Dick, so....

I don't think Atlanta could handle another sports station, so it would not be a viable option. That said, I think that the 750 signal is a total waste now. But what do you do with a powerhouse AM signal? If you can't go all sports, what would be the options? You could do more/different talk, but that would hurt the FM's ratings.

I'd love to hear other folks ideas.

I doubt it. Atlanta has far more sports competition than Orlando or Jacksonville. Another factor is while WSB-AM has a small percentage of the total audience, would dropping it take the station out of 1st place?

Quote Originally Posted by RoddyFreeman View Post
    Another factor is while WSB-AM has a small percentage of the total audience, would dropping it take the station out of 1st place?
    Right now there has to be some still listening to the AM. The 95.5 signal is really weak in the far west and south metro. I seem to remember someone here saying they saw the ratings split between AM/FM a couple of year ago. They posted something like 20-30% are still listening on AM.

All of that aside, the question is what happens with the FM relocation? Will the AM listening drop to almost zero when 95.5 moves in the city? If so, the AM is worthless as a simulcast. Cox would then be better putting something on the AM that will pay the electric bill, upkeep, and engineers.

750 isn't going to challenge 92.9 if they flipped to sports. But it could challenge 680 with its nasty night nulls and the other two Dickey sports stations and their weenie FM translators.

Would Cox put UGA on 95.5 and Tech on 750 (stealing the Jackets from 680)? Do keep in mind that there's not really a good FM station for UGA sports northwest of town since Cox got rid of 107.1, and that won't change much even if 95.5 moves intown from Chateau Elan. 750 does carry out farther than 95.5. Not a problem northeast of town where Cox puts UGA on 106.1 and 103.7. But on the northwest side, there's a pair of class A FMs in Chattanooga and Dalton, and a translator in Calhoun, but nothing beyond that.
    "When broadcasting over the radio, there are certain words we must omit.
    Like 'BEEP' and 'BUZZ' and 'GOBBLE-GOBBLE', by gosh we can't even say shhhhhaving cream!"

They could do that. But then, because the two are not a strict simulcast, the ratings would need to be split in the book. And, if it's true that 20% of listening is still on 750AM, then the overall ratings would drop, likely taking out of the number 1 spot.

I think we'll get an idea if a split is coming if, (once the new site is operational,) they start to drop the mention of the AM on the air -- except for top of the hour where they legally have to.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast