• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

NBC Blows It Again

https://www.washingtonpost.com/arts...idate-who-lost-an-eye/?utm_term=.0185772ab54f

Last week NBC had to deal with the fall out from Megyn Kelly's questionable remarks and then had an SNL castmember make a horrible 'joke' at the expense of a wounded war veteran.

I'd submit that Davidson's comment was at least as bad, likely far worse than Kelly's was. So why does he still have a job?
The only thing I remember is that Pete said only nice things about the woman he broke up with but didn't name her.

I sort of remember thinking something he said was inappropriate but didn't think much about it.

Last week NBC had to deal with the fall out from Megyn Kelly's questionable remarks ...

I'll be damned if I understand what all the hellraising was about. I am older than Kelly but what she said was also true in my youth: that blackface was an acceptable form of entertainment. I understand that statement isn't PC today but that is exactly the point - times have changed. The comments she made did not appear to me that she was approving of blackface but rather presenting the history of it. I am not a fan of Kelly nor do I watch her show so I have no idea whether or not she has a history of racist comments or not but this seemed a massive over reaction to an accurate statement.

One of the most popular entertainers of the early 20th Century was a white guy named Al Jolson who used both blackface and old Negro gospel songs in his routine. He undoubtedly paved the way for multitudes of Black entertainers who, prior to his popularity, had been excluded from stage and film. And it is not a stretch to believe that, in turn, led the way into Black R&B which led into early Rock and Roll (which itself was a Black term).

I'm not Black and perhaps that is why I don't get it but I just don't see how history can be viewed outside its chronological borders due to the application of political correctness (which should be called cultural correctness instead as most have nothing to do with politics).

I don't get it. The outrage from Senator Duckworth, Sean Spicer, and the chair of the NRCC is apparently because Mr. Crenshaw lost his eye in the Army?

Wouldn't this be in just as poor of taste if Mr. Crenshaw had lost his eye in, say, an auto accident and had chosen accounting as his profession?

Last edited:
I think what some are missing here is NBC was looking for any excuse to get rid of Megyn. With Davidson, he is on an entirely different platform and as such is given different parameters to work under. His controversial comments are much different in late night than Megyn's were in "Today" morning.

I think what some are missing here is NBC was looking for any excuse to get rid of Megyn. With Davidson, he is on an entirely different platform and as such is given different parameters to work under. His controversial comments are much different in late night than Megyn's were in "Today" morning.

I guess it is all a matter of perspective. Megyn botched a comment about a recollection of what was "usual" in her childhood, meaning decades ago. Davidson made a present day comment about a present day wounded soldier from a war that we are still fighting.

There is no TV "safe harbor" for being offensive.

With Davidson, he is on an entirely different platform and as such is given different parameters to work under.

Absolutely...he's a comedian on a show known for being saying things that will potentially offend people.

When Garrett Morris repeated the headlines for the hard of hearing, it offended a lot of deaf people.

But the audience in the room laughed.

SNL doesn't take sides when they go after people, and being a politician is fair game. Still not nearly as bad as the stuff the people on Fox News say every night.

SNL doesn't take sides when they go after people, and being a politician is fair game. Still not nearly as bad as the stuff the people on Fox News say every night.

As I said, a matter of perspective.

We can think back nearly a quarter century when Stern started rolling out on additional stations... he offended many but enthralled others. Again, perspective.

The stations that signed on with Stern knew that they would have detractors. But the upside was greater.

As I said, a matter of perspective.

We can think back nearly a quarter century when Stern started rolling out on additional stations... he offended many but enthralled others. Again, perspective.

The stations that signed on with Stern knew that they would have detractors. But the upside was greater.
You can’t have people on the right complaining that the left is too PC. Then get upset when a joke is controversial. We have taken fake outrage too far.

Perhaps a matter of perspective, but if Kelly asking a question is grounds for her termination, then Davidson's crude comment should be grounds for his. There's either a standard or there is not. This happened on the same network within a very short time frame and the reaction by management appears to be wildly different. If nothing else, it lays bare that NBC has highly selective standards.

I could care less if that worthless SNL cast member loses his job or doesn't. I don't watch it. Similarly, I had no stock in Megyn Kelly's success or failure. I just find it darkly funny that NBC has to deal with trying to justify handling similar incidents in a manner that makes clear to just about everyone that they could care less about doing what is right as opposed to pushing an agenda.

This happened on the same network within a very short time frame and the reaction by management appears to be wildly different

Because news has one set of management, and late night has another. Different managers respond differently.

Perhaps a matter of perspective, but if Kelly asking a question is grounds for her termination, then Davidson's crude comment should be grounds for his. There's either a standard or there is not. This happened on the same network within a very short time frame and the reaction by management appears to be wildly different. If nothing else, it lays bare that NBC has highly selective standards.

I could care less if that worthless SNL cast member loses his job or doesn't. I don't watch it. Similarly, I had no stock in Megyn Kelly's success or failure. I just find it darkly funny that NBC has to deal with trying to justify handling similar incidents in a manner that makes clear to just about everyone that they could care less about doing what is right as opposed to pushing an agenda.
NBC didn’t want Kelly. It was not just one comment but a pattern of stupid comments. They wanted an excuse to dump her. It was a mistake to hire her in the first place and NBC found an excuse to fire her.

Davidson is paid to say controversial comments. Plus he is on at late night where there are a different set of standards. Not to mention Lourne Michaels welds a lot of power at NBC and can protect who ever he wants on his show.

Now was there this much outrage from the right when Trump said McCain was not a war hero?

NBC didn’t want Kelly. It was not just one comment but a pattern of stupid comments. They wanted an excuse to dump her. It was a mistake to hire her in the first place and NBC found an excuse to fire her.

Assuming she gets a golden parachute that 'mistake' amounts to a significant amount of money NBC will owe her. I would expect some other heads to roll but haven't heard anything to date.

Now was there this much outrage from the right when Trump said McCain was not a war hero?

There is no excuse for Trump's comment on McCain BUT Americans have always considered "war heros" to be persons who put their lives on the line to protect their buddies in a combat situation and in that context McCain does not qualify. He did indeed, by all accounts, hold himself to the standards our military asks of POW's and his conduct was always exemplary.

Assuming she gets a golden parachute that 'mistake' amounts to a significant amount of money NBC will owe her. I would expect some other heads to roll but haven't heard anything to date.

There is no excuse for Trump's comment on McCain BUT Americans have always considered "war heros" to be persons who put their lives on the line to protect their buddies in a combat situation and in that context McCain does not qualify. He did indeed, by all accounts, hold himself to the standards our military asks of POW's and his conduct was always exemplary.
NBC made a huge mistake in giving Kelly a morning show that didn’t fit the Today brand. I’m sure people will lose jobs over the whole situation.

As for McCain, a POW is still a war hero even if he didn’t jump on an IED.

IMO, Trump's remarks also rankle because he never sacrificed for anything in his life, and would likely have crapped his pants if he had been in combat in Vietnam.

There is no excuse for Trump's comment on McCain BUT Americans have always considered "war heros" to be persons who put their lives on the line to protect their buddies in a combat situation and in that context McCain does not qualify.

That's a pretty narrow definition. Pilots on a bombing run deep in enemy territory are, for the most part, powerless to do anything directly to protect their buddies, who may not even be flying anywhere nearby. But knocking out enemy installations certainly makes things easier for those who follow, and going on such a mission, knowing that the enemy is capable of, and will be, shooting at you is courageous and, by my definition, heroic.

That's a pretty narrow definition. Pilots on a bombing run deep in enemy territory are, for the most part, powerless to do anything directly to protect their buddies, who may not even be flying anywhere nearby. But knocking out enemy installations certainly makes things easier for those who follow, and going on such a mission, knowing that the enemy is capable of, and will be, shooting at you is courageous and, by my definition, heroic.

It isn't my personal definition but rather that of the US military and I would also add most veterans who served in combat (of which I am one). In simple language a 'hero' is a personal who intentionally puts their life at significant risk for the assistance and support of their fellows. You could say that everyone who carries a weapon (or medical kit) and goes into combat automatically fulfills that requirement but the distinction is made by those same people and not people who have no combat experience and especially not politicians who cause wars but don't suffer the consequences.

The word 'hero' has unfortunately become a very overused term.

Her black face comment was just a window of opportunity for management to ditch her. Kelly's ratings were horrible, she was difficult to work with, and the comment combined with outrage from staff like Al Roker, fell right into NBC's lap.

The word 'hero' has unfortunately become a very overused term.

Today, many believe a "hero" is a character that is enhanced by computer graphics.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom