NBC Blows It Again
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: NBC Blows It Again

NBC Blows It Again

https://www.washingtonpost.com/arts-...=.0185772ab54f

Last week NBC had to deal with the fall out from Megyn Kelly's questionable remarks and then had an SNL castmember make a horrible 'joke' at the expense of a wounded war veteran.

I'd submit that Davidson's comment was at least as bad, likely far worse than Kelly's was. So why does he still have a job?

Quote Originally Posted by umfan View Post
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/arts-...=.0185772ab54f

Last week NBC had to deal with the fall out from Megyn Kelly's questionable remarks and then had an SNL castmember make a horrible 'joke' at the expense of a wounded war veteran.

I'd submit that Davidson's comment was at least as bad, likely far worse than Kelly's was. So why does he still have a job?
    The only thing I remember is that Pete said only nice things about the woman he broke up with but didn't name her.

I sort of remember thinking something he said was inappropriate but didn't think much about it.

Quote Originally Posted by umfan View Post
    Last week NBC had to deal with the fall out from Megyn Kelly's questionable remarks ...
    I'll be damned if I understand what all the hellraising was about. I am older than Kelly but what she said was also true in my youth: that blackface was an acceptable form of entertainment. I understand that statement isn't PC today but that is exactly the point - times have changed. The comments she made did not appear to me that she was approving of blackface but rather presenting the history of it. I am not a fan of Kelly nor do I watch her show so I have no idea whether or not she has a history of racist comments or not but this seemed a massive over reaction to an accurate statement.

One of the most popular entertainers of the early 20th Century was a white guy named Al Jolson who used both blackface and old Negro gospel songs in his routine. He undoubtedly paved the way for multitudes of Black entertainers who, prior to his popularity, had been excluded from stage and film. And it is not a stretch to believe that, in turn, led the way into Black R&B which led into early Rock and Roll (which itself was a Black term).

I'm not Black and perhaps that is why I don't get it but I just don't see how history can be viewed outside its chronological borders due to the application of political correctness (which should be called cultural correctness instead as most have nothing to do with politics).
    Illegitimi non carborundum

I don't get it. The outrage from Senator Duckworth, Sean Spicer, and the chair of the NRCC is apparently because Mr. Crenshaw lost his eye in the Army?

Wouldn't this be in just as poor of taste if Mr. Crenshaw had lost his eye in, say, an auto accident and had chosen accounting as his profession?
    Last edited by PTBoardOp94; 11-05-2018 at 09:01 PM.
    "Its music what makes a radio station, and at Live FM, we play the last music around."
    After receiving that copy, I quit the VO industry.

I think what some are missing here is NBC was looking for any excuse to get rid of Megyn. With Davidson, he is on an entirely different platform and as such is given different parameters to work under. His controversial comments are much different in late night than Megyn's were in "Today" morning.

Moderator/Co-Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by seatownmedia View Post
    I think what some are missing here is NBC was looking for any excuse to get rid of Megyn. With Davidson, he is on an entirely different platform and as such is given different parameters to work under. His controversial comments are much different in late night than Megyn's were in "Today" morning.
    I guess it is all a matter of perspective. Megyn botched a comment about a recollection of what was "usual" in her childhood, meaning decades ago. Davidson made a present day comment about a present day wounded soldier from a war that we are still fighting.

There is no TV "safe harbor" for being offensive.
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, Billboard, Cash Box, R&R, Record World, Music & Media, Audio, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, Popular Electronics, Studio Sound, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

Quote Originally Posted by seatownmedia View Post
    With Davidson, he is on an entirely different platform and as such is given different parameters to work under.
    Absolutely...he's a comedian on a show known for being saying things that will potentially offend people.

When Garrett Morris repeated the headlines for the hard of hearing, it offended a lot of deaf people.

But the audience in the room laughed.

SNL doesn't take sides when they go after people, and being a politician is fair game. Still not nearly as bad as the stuff the people on Fox News say every night.

Moderator/Co-Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Don CT View Post
    SNL doesn't take sides when they go after people, and being a politician is fair game. Still not nearly as bad as the stuff the people on Fox News say every night.
    As I said, a matter of perspective.

We can think back nearly a quarter century when Stern started rolling out on additional stations... he offended many but enthralled others. Again, perspective.

The stations that signed on with Stern knew that they would have detractors. But the upside was greater.
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, Billboard, Cash Box, R&R, Record World, Music & Media, Audio, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, Popular Electronics, Studio Sound, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidEduardo View Post

As I said, a matter of perspective.

We can think back nearly a quarter century when Stern started rolling out on additional stations... he offended many but enthralled others. Again, perspective.

The stations that signed on with Stern knew that they would have detractors. But the upside was greater.
    You canít have people on the right complaining that the left is too PC. Then get upset when a joke is controversial. We have taken fake outrage too far.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast