KOST Goes All Christmas Friday - Page 4
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: KOST Goes All Christmas Friday

Moderator/Co-Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by johndavis View Post
    Anytime I hear people complain about corporate radio, I think back on my time working for that guy and think corporate isn't half-bad.
    My first job was with a smaller group owner, Richard Eaton, who ran things autocratically himself from corporate "offices". We had to even get toilet paper from corporate, and I won points from the staff by bringing coffee and rolls of paper when I showed up!

On the other hand, when I joined a totally family owned and operated station 25 years later, I was already the owner's friend and found that I was given the ability to develop the station (later, "stations"). In a sense, I became a "cousin" and was treated as a family member.

I think it all depends on the company or the small owner. They come in all sizes, shapes and styles.
    Last edited by DavidEduardo; 11-07-2018 at 06:13 PM.
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, Billboard, Cash Box, R&R, Record World, Music & Media, Audio, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, Popular Electronics, Studio Sound, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

David hits the nail on the head.

My first small single-station owner (and my first station, period) was horrendous.

My second station was also a small single-station owner---but one who'd worked for McLendon, and that place ran like clockwork.

My third station was a small single-station owner and I left when he sold one of the two turntables to pay the power bill.

My fourth was a small group owned by another McLendon vet. Again, a solid operation let down only by a couple of dubious GM hires.

Since then, I've worked for Journal, Belo, Hearst-Argyle, Emmis, Nationwide, Scripps and iHeart. All had their strong points and their weak points, but the horrorshow stuff (bouncing checks, irrational bosses, health, safety and FCC violations) that are hallmarks of bad small owners have never been an issue at any of them.

Quote Originally Posted by johndavis View Post

Anytime I hear people complain about corporate radio, I think back on my time working for that guy and think corporate isn't half-bad.
    Yep. I worked with him in Phoenix at KHOT et. al. and then in Chicago with WOJO and the others in the cluster. Great manager. Great person.
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, Billboard, Cash Box, R&R, Record World, Music & Media, Audio, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, Popular Electronics, Studio Sound, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidEduardo View Post

Of course, "I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas" was supposedly written outside of Palm Springs, CA, at the La Quinta Resort way back when... and is rather appropriate for those of us who only see snow on top of 10,000 foot mountains up above us!
    Once in a blue moon you'll hear the full version of White Christmas which begins with these SoCal lyrics:

The sun is shining, the grass is green
    The orange and palm trees sway
    There's never been such a day
    In Beverly Hills, LA
    But it's December the 24th
    And I'm longing to be up north

Here tiz... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qodySWoXVAs
    Dr. Akbar 'n Nurse Jeff
    The Middle Eastern Men of the Media
    Buckeye, AZ

Hey Alexa, call Doc & Nurse Jeff...we're really screwed up!

The verse of White Christmas reminds me of a small off topic detail. The song was written by Irving Berlin, a lifelong New Yorker, who was in Hollywood at this point in his life writing songs for movies. Although he was Jewish, his wife was Catholic, and he wrote this song mainly about her, and where she longed to be.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigA View Post
    The verse of White Christmas reminds me of a small off topic detail. The song was written by Irving Berlin, a lifelong New Yorker, who was in Hollywood at this point in his life writing songs for movies. Although he was Jewish, his wife was Catholic, and he wrote this song mainly about her, and where she longed to be.
    From Wikipedia:

"Accounts vary as to when and where Berlin wrote the song. One story is that he wrote it in 1940, in warm La Quinta, California, while staying at the La Quinta Hotel, a frequent Hollywood retreat also favored by writer-director-producer Frank Capra, although the Arizona Biltmore also claims the song was written there. He often stayed up all night writing—he told his secretary, "Grab your pen and take down this song. I just wrote the best song I've ever written—heck, I just wrote the best song that anybody's ever written!"

"La Quinta" in 1940 was the name for a desert resort in the middle of nowhere. The city with that name was yet to be founded, and the hotel had no air conditioning so summer business was, shall we say, slow. Today, it's just one of dozens of similar resorts with one of the over 120 golf courses in the area. And it still does not snow in the valley.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidEduardo View Post
    "La Quinta" in 1940 was the name for a desert resort in the middle of nowhere.
    That could be, but what I meant was he was mainly living and working in LA while working on movie soundtracks. One became Holiday Inn, where this song debuted.

Quote Originally Posted by ChannelFlipper View Post
    Just like every year, you can expect lots of songs about sleigh bells, winter wonderlands and Santas, but you will be waiting a long time to hear "Silent Night". I am not a very religious person myself, but I still find it so disgraceful that every year their goal seems to be to find more ways to take the Christ out of Christmas. They succeed tremendously.
    Last year, I captured 24 hours of KKGO's Christmas playlist. It consisted of 24% winter songs, 64% secular Christmas songs, and 12% religious Christmas songs.
    Also, see this thread about winter vs. Christmas music https://www.radiodiscussions.com/sho...s-winter-music

Quote Originally Posted by CTListener View Post
    The advertisers can't wait, nor can the target demographic -- female 25-54.

The numbers don't lie. When stations flip to Christmas, people who don't listen to those stations much the rest of the year make them their only choice through late December. So far, radio has not found a date that's "too early," that is, one that will drive off more listeners than it will gain. It's hard for most on this board to fathom because many of us are 55+ males and avid fans of particular stations or particular musical genres -- precisely to kind of people the all-Christmas format is not trying to reach, nor does it want to reach.
    yep people are morons

Quote Originally Posted by SuperRadioFan View Post

So far, radio has not found a date that's "too early," that is, one that will drive off more listeners than it will gain.
    Yes it has! Believe me this has been researched to death!

Quote Originally Posted by SuperRadioFan View Post

yep people are morons
    Why? Because they listened to what they want to listen to...and not what you want them to listen to? <puzzled>

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast