• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

A KOOL YULE?

Oh boy, KOOL-FM has done it again, flipping to all Christmas music before KEZ! Only 2 days after Halloween too. I’m still recovering from Halloween lol.

Last time they did this (2008 I want to say) it failed miserably. Could this mean a format change is coming to KOOL after Christmas? Inquisitive minds want to know!

Simply having a wonderful Christmastime here at the Buckeye Media Hut.

NOT!

Saved myself a lot of aggravation and took KOOL off my decades-long presets several years ago.

It's now the GOLDMINE all the way!!!! :)

It’s an early Christmas present to The Oasis from KOOL!

The Oasis has been more of a “classic hits” station the last couple years anyway since KOOL started cutting out the 70’s and adding the 90’s to it’s 80’s focused format. This just means that KOOL’s normal everyday listeners will gravitate toward the Oasis, KSLX and the Mountain to fill the need.

My question is: is this just a temporary format change to Christmas music for the holidays or is this stunting for a possible format change / rebranding after the new year? KOOL does well in the books so I doubt there will be a format change forthcoming.

My question is: is this just a temporary format change to Christmas music for the holidays or is this stunting for a possible format change / rebranding after the new year?

Classic Hits is the ticket all across these fruited plains, so don't bet the hut on a flip.

What surprises Los Buckeye Boyz is why KEZ has allowed this. Their Ho-Ho-Ho music has been playing all year on 99~Nine HD Too, and the jingles/sweeps are stored in the vault. Why let a South Mtn interloper steal your tinsel? Is I ♥ Bankruptcy that confident that Beth & Friends own The Most Wonderful Time of The Year? Some say it's too early for donning your gay apparel, but channel surfing all the football games this weekend, Nurse Jeff and I realize the season has started...with or without KEZ.

Last edited:
I was hoping that the Christmas song I heard was a charted AT40 single (it was Saturday morning) but alas - no Casey and no long distance dedication.

Bah humbug-!

Two idiots on my block have already strung (stranged?) their Xmas lights although one idiot hasn't turned hers on yet.

SURE and it's too early! The neighborhood kids haven't yet finished stealing the Halloween ornaments yet!!!

It is Way too early

Two idiots on my block have already strung (stranged?) their Xmas lights although one idiot hasn't turned hers on yet.

SURE it's too early! The neighborhood kids haven't yet finished stealing the Halloween ornaments yet!!!

It is WAY too early. My neighbor hasn't taken down her lights from last year yet. KEZ has been permanently off my presets for 15 years because of their Christmas crap and now I have to get rid of my favorite 80s station too. A warning to idiot stations doing Christmas crap. If you piss me off odds are I won't listen to you the rest of the year either. This is the stuff makes Christmas suck. The only thing worse than Christmas crap is election advertising.

There is no need for stores to advertise on these idiot Christmas stations. I refuse to go to them. Amazon doesn't need to do stupid special advertising at Christmas time and it comes to my door. 52 more days until Dec 26 the most wonderful day of the year. ADIOS KOOL YOU ARE GONE from my radio. Now where is my Pandora premium.

Amazon doesn't need to do stupid special advertising at Christmas time and it comes to my door.

But they ARE! If you go to Amazon.com, you'll see early bird Black Friday deals 4 weeks before Black Friday, plus all the pre-holiday specials.

No Amazon already has the ho-ho-ho going, and this year, they're buying radio advertising to tell people about it.

It is WAY too early. My neighbor hasn't taken down her lights from last year yet. KEZ has been permanently off my presets for 15 years because of their Christmas crap and now I have to get rid of my favorite 80s station too. A warning to idiot stations doing Christmas crap. If you piss me off odds are I won't listen to you the rest of the year either. This is the stuff makes Christmas suck. The only thing worse than Christmas crap is election advertising.

There is no need for stores to advertise on these idiot Christmas stations. I refuse to go to them. Amazon doesn't need to do stupid special advertising at Christmas time and it comes to my door. 52 more days until Dec 26 the most wonderful day of the year. ADIOS KOOL YOU ARE GONE from my radio. Now where is my Pandora premium.

It's all a cost vs. benefits situation. Amazon weighs the loss of a few misanthropes vs. the sales they generate with the seasonal offers and promotions, and decides to send the former off into some nether land with neither seasons nor celebrations.

Lighten up, Francis! Yeah, November 1 is a bit too early, but given everything going on in the world right now, a little Christmas music never hurt anyone. I doubt I'll play my own personal (mostly traditional/instrumental) collection before Thanksgiving, but my significant other is already bugging me to put KOOL on her bedroom radio.

One of my neighbors has her yard decorations up already (and I only took my Halloween stuff down yesterday). It looks nice.

But they ARE! If you go to Amazon.com, you'll see early bird Black Friday deals 4 weeks before Black Friday, plus all the pre-holiday specials.
But they don't invade your favorite radio station and force you to listen to garbage. Thank heaven for Pandora.

If you want to pay for local radio, we'll all be glad to take your money and offer a commercial free subscription service.

It's cheaper & easier than selling spots.

Other than the obvious comeback "people want free radio" what is keeping local radio from doing just that?

Other than the obvious comeback "people want free radio" what is keeping local radio from doing just that?

If this is a question of streaming? Royalties.

Over the air, radio pays songwriters and publishers.
Online, you pay songwriters, publishers, and performers.

If the cume on a stream ever got close to an FM station's cume, it would not be pretty.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom