Looks like a format change is about to occur
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looks like a format change is about to occur

Looks like a format change is about to occur

Talk show hosts on 101.1 WYDE-FM of Birmingham/Cullman/Huntsville are saying their goodbyes today on-air.

Probably going to become the "New FunStar 101"...
    The Magic City's Lite & Easy Favorites
    WLTB-DB | Birmingham's LITE 99 Radio.
    Listen LIVE "on the go" 24 hours a day using your smartphone/mobile device at BirminghamLite.com.

All Day...All Night...All Weekend...All Nice.
    WQEZ-DB | Beautiful QEZ.
    Always Beautiful Music.
    QEZradio.com

Seriously, though...listeners are reporting on the WYDE-FM Facebook page that the station is moving to a christian talk format (I'm guessing christian preaching mostly mixed with christian talk similar to what WXJC-AM/FM is airing?).
    Listen LIVE "on the go" 24 hours a day using your smartphone/mobile device at BirminghamLite.com.

WQEZ-DB | Beautiful QEZ.
    Always Beautiful Music.
    QEZradio.com

Quote Originally Posted by passtheword View Post
    Seriously, though...listeners are reporting on the WYDE-FM Facebook page that the station is moving to a christian talk format (I'm guessing christian preaching mostly mixed with christian talk similar to what WXJC-AM/FM is airing?).
    Or right-wing talk -- because everyone knows Jesus was a Republican, right? -- as is the case with Salem's talkers.

Just heard one of the announcers state that 101.1 will change call letters to WXJC on Monday, so it sounds as though Crawford is merely moving the 850/92.5 programming to 101.1 (and I'm assuming to WYDE 1260 as well). Crawford has been noted for doing these call sign and format switch-a-roos for a long time now, so no surprise there. Obviously, 92.5 will require new call letters, but who knows what happens with the WXJC call sign on 850 or whether it moves to 1260 and 101.1 become WXJC-FM. Maybe the WYDE calls return to 850 once again...anybody's guess with Crawford.

WQEZ-DB | Beautiful QEZ.
    Always Beautiful Music.
    QEZradio.com

From what I saw on the WXJC Facebook page, The Dixie Gospel Caravan is being axed.

Dan <><
    Owner, Operator and All Around Guy for WPJB-LP, Jesus Radio 93.3 FM, Selma
    Resident Music Director for WPJN Clanton

yes, The "Caravan" is no more as of yesterday. I wasn't terribly surprised the southern gospel program didn't carry forward to 101.1, as Crawford has been slowly cutting back the number of hours it is on every day (the program was down to three hours per day on 850/92.5).

I just saw a post from the "other radio board" with WXJC's new logo, which has AM 850 amd FM 101.1 on it, with the website shown as wxjcradio.com. So evidently, the WYDE calls are not returning to AM 850 [SIGH].

The article says that WXJC-FM and WYDE-FM will swap calls. No word on what, if anything, happens to WYDE 1260 (if it continues to simulcast 101.1 following the FM's format change to christian talk/preaching) or what type of programming the new 92.5 FM WYDE-FM will be carrying. Or..if all four frequenices will be simulcast. Maybe 1260 goes with new programming to simulcast on their recently added FM translator at 95.3 (W237EK), along with 92.5, or 92.5 goes with entirely new programing. Confused yet? Just think how the WXJC and WYDE listeners will feel come Monday, sorting out all the changes on 850/1260/92.5/101.1.

I've said it once, I'll say it again: The 101.1 frequency may be the biggest waste of a 100kw stick in America. It doesn't adequately cover Birmingham. It doesn't adequately cover Huntsville. It doesn't adequately cover the Shoals.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles35080 View Post
    I've said it once, I'll say it again: The 101.1 frequency may be the biggest waste of a 100kw stick in America. It doesn't adequately cover Birmingham. It doesn't adequately cover Huntsville. It doesn't adequately cover the Shoals.
    But it absolutely blasts into Dodge City!

Quote Originally Posted by tomservo View Post

But it absolutely blasts into Dodge City!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast