• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

The Minihane Kirk-fuffle

The Red Sox contract with WEEI was to end at the conclusion of the 06 season.By spring of 06 the Globe said there was a possible deal where WBOS would be partly owned by the Sox; games would go there and it could be the first sports FM in town. It was not to be; Ent. re upped making WRKO flagship at the start of the 07 season with some games, like on
Wednesdays, on WEEI.
(Two weeks after Sports Hub debuted in 09 Ent put the Sox solely on EEI...which didn't go FM till '11)

I recalled the possible WBOS deal in 2011 on this site, and quoted a Boston Radio Watch article:
"(2006) Red Sox, Entercom, and Greater Media are all about to end playing hardball any minute now. While Sox and Greater Media managements remains mum, some of their personnel are now openly bragging around town that the Sox broadcasts will move from WEEI AM 850 after 12 years. The shortly-to-be-announced "done deal" has the Sox purchasing a majority interest in WBOS 92.9FM with Greater Media retaining a remaining share of the station. A Sox source tells BRW that the deal may be announced as soon as Monday(4/24)."

The Red Sox contract with WEEI was to end at the conclusion of the 06 season.By spring of 06 the Globe said there was a possible deal where WBOS would be partly owned by the Sox; games would go there and it could be the first sports FM in town. It was not to be; Ent. re upped making WRKO flagship at the start of the 07 season with some games, like on
Wednesdays, on WEEI.
(Two weeks after Sports Hub debuted in 09 Ent put the Sox solely on EEI...which didn't go FM till '11)

I recalled the possible WBOS deal in 2011 on this site, and quoted a Boston Radio Watch article:
"(2006) Red Sox, Entercom, and Greater Media are all about to end playing hardball any minute now. While Sox and Greater Media managements remains mum, some of their personnel are now openly bragging around town that the Sox broadcasts will move from WEEI AM 850 after 12 years. The shortly-to-be-announced "done deal" has the Sox purchasing a majority interest in WBOS 92.9FM with Greater Media retaining a remaining share of the station. A Sox source tells BRW that the deal may be announced as soon as Monday(4/24)."

Completely forgot that rumor that faked out everyone including the esteemed BRW. Wonder who gave him the "done deal" fake-news tip?

Not sure where he got that rumor from. More sports related:
--WCRB moves from 102.5 to 99.5 in Dec of 06
--Aug of 07, Dennis and Callahan in contract squabble with WEEI and talk with WCRB owners (Nassau at the time?) about jumping to 99.5.

Entercom re-signed them.Had D&C jumped, CRB could have gone sports talk and possibly been syndicated across the region.

No sports team play by play though (so much for the long term alleged allegiance to classical for CRB...or would it have been "D&C in the Morning, classical all day?")

CRB got sold to GBH in 09 and went non commercial.

Completely forgot that rumor that faked out everyone including the esteemed BRW. Wonder who gave him the "done deal" fake-news tip?

Was it fake? I know they applied for new call letters. Was it WTKT or something "TheTicket.con"?

Knowing that all failed negotiations occur after agreeing to 95% of the deal, I think the deal was made, but ran into trouble because the sox wanted an equity position in the station.

And Steve Robinson in for Howie, after HC fell off his bike.

Steve was ripping into WEEI,John Henry, and the Boston Globe in a big way.....

Kirk was doing a lot of agreeing, but he was careful to let Steve light the fuse

Now that WRKO is under the IHrt banner I guess Entercom is fair game, not that Entercom has had any editorial control over the Howie Carr Show since he got out from under them

I don't think any Howie affiliates are Entercom.
Afterwards Bruce Mittman was on and explained about people objecting, contacting sponsors, contacting the station etc. "I won't advertise on your station anymore."

Dunkin pulled ads from WEEI after objections were made about Dennis and Callahan.Say what you want on air but your boss can tell you what not to say.
Criticize the Red Sox? Entercom doesn't want to rile them up, plus Henry owns the Globe.
Bring up Gov Baker's son's groping incident? Only if they say it's OK.

Minihane claims he will have more freedom to say what he wants on the podcast even though it's through Entercom, but he won't be on WEEI.
Stern/Infinity got in trouble with the FCC, so Howard split for Sirius--and a big raise.

A law could be made tomorrow that any swear is OK on the radio at any time.But companies would still enforce their own rules lest sponsors be offended (or college trustees and parents, with college radio).

Can a WalMart greeter tell each customer to go bleep themselves? Sure.

Can they keep their job?

Minihane tweets he'll be on Howie Carr show today at 5:30 and NECN at 7

Anyone have a link to this part of the show?

...not that Entercom has had any editorial control over the Howie Carr Show since he got out from under them

Of course, they have the ultimate control in wether they will air him in Boston or not.

Howie can't survive without a Boston affiliate, and as he learned with his quick stop at 1510AM, there aren't many alternatives for him.

Don’t forget that WRKO is now owned by iHeart. They won’t have any problem with Entercom bashing. As far as I know, it was not censored on WRKO at all today.

Howie 's site may have a podcast of the segment up--or go to Howie Carr show on facebook.All of yesterday's show is up so FF to 5:30 pm.

Even before the big Ent-CBS deal, I think WRKO was the only Ent. owned station to run him.Now iHR which also runs HC in Hartford, Holyoke, and Cape Cod.

@bostonradio tweet:
"Kirk Minihane has received his full release from Entercom. He is free to join any media entity. No non-compete clause."

Why would 98.5 want him to pollute their station ?

is seemingly setting his sights on national platforms. "
If he is lucky maybe he can get a gig down in Florida wherever Pete Sheppard works so he can still talk Boston sports.

He needs to fly straight wherever he goes.

Other things I read said he was still an ETM employee even after he lost his show.

If he had time on his contract they may have wanted him to earn it rather than be at the beach on their dime.

"Dan Sileo is no longer host of the morning show, but will remain with the company in other roles, confirmed Entercom Communications executive Bob Bolinger, senior vice president and market manager, on Tuesday night. Bolinger declined further comment."

https://www.latimes.com/sileo-padres-radio-flagship-station-mlb-coach-kentera-story.html

He was booted to appease the Padres IMHO

"Dan Sileo is no longer host of the morning show, but will remain with the company in other roles, confirmed Entercom Communications

They said the same thing of Kirk for a while. Send him to the AAA team for a few months.

So then they held on to him to do fill in, as you said, and that period just ended. Poof.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom