• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Apple reportedly considers buying a stake in Iheart

An update Liberty wants a controlling stake in Iheart Media.

It's confusing because 35% is not a controlling stake. The creditors will have the controlling stake. But they want to turn that equity into cash, and the way to do it is to sell that equity to operators. So they will begin their negotiations with the creditors. This will be a long slow process.

Here's another article with a link to the New York Post article:

https://www.allaccess.com/net-news/...berty-media-eyeing-a-piece-of-post-bankruptcy

I'm also wondering if a motivator for the tie-in to a radio station group, is to reduce their streaming music royalty fees. iHeart's streaming service does well, partially because they've made it a side car of their radio business.

I'm also wondering if a motivator for the tie-in to a radio station group, is to reduce their streaming music royalty fees. iHeart's streaming service does well, partially because they've made it a side car of their radio business.

Then again, the music industry has been pretty vigilant about that, and if they sense that's the primary motivation, they're likely to either sue or challenge.

So far, I haven't seen any complaints about the Pandora purchase by Sirius.

Remember that Pandora tried that with their purchase in Sioux Falls, and this was not accepted as qualifying the whole company for the radio-based rates... so they got rid of the station.

Obviously, with a much larger radio group this would have to be reexamined again.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom