Apple reportedly considers buying a stake in Iheart - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Apple reportedly considers buying a stake in Iheart

Quote Originally Posted by Don CT View Post
    My question is based on the fact that Sat Radio is uncensored with no commercials. Why would they go backwards?
    First, SiriusXM sets aside relatively few channels as uncensored. All of the most popular mainstream music channels play "clean" versions of the songs.

Plenty of ads on SiriusXM, too, just not on the music channels. And an increasing number of those music channels are being pimped out to recording artists and their labels to push product in conjunction with tours -- or just to give a channel a "brand" and a license to play a half-dozen songs by the brand-name artist per hour (Kenny Chesney and Garth Brooks' channels, for example). So one can say that there is a form of advertising on some music channels.

Given Liberty Media's conservative leanings, I'd say FM is a good fit.

Quote Originally Posted by CTListener View Post
    First, SiriusXM sets aside relatively few channels as uncensored. ]

Given Liberty Media's conservative leanings, I'd say FM is a good fit.
    Also consider that iHeart was an original partner of XM back in the 90s. There are still a couple of channels that have connections to the old deal. Several former iHeart managers now oversee Sirius channels

Quote Originally Posted by KeithE4 View Post
    How much of that audience is older than 50?

True, but how many of those stations have audiences that are attractive to advertisers? Not counting non-comms of course, maybe 10% of AM and 70% of FM stations, roughly?

Only if you have a radio that will tune those HD channels. I have two at home, but not in my car. And I have no plans to buy an after-market stereo for my car anytime soon, if ever. Nor am I in the market for a car that has it.

Are those radios being developed now? Is the required infrastructure currently being developed and under test? If not, I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for them. Who's buying radios anyway, at least not that aren't a part of something else, like a car.

Maybe, but a lot of what you're saying can be filed under "pipe dreams." And I'd love to have some of what you're putting in that pipe.

The pipe is empty these days. I have thought about moving to Colorado...

More and more cars come with HD radio. There are actually a few HD only stations starting to show up in the trends. Yes, only a few, but people are gradually finding their way around the modern, gadget filled cars. They should start off as niche channels until penetration is adequate for more main stream programming. Example - I wonder why there is no personal development channel. Jim Rohn....24 hours a day. You should see what sales pros spend on the cassettes/CDs to condition their minds. There's hundreds of people putting this stuff out there...why not round up a few for a HD format? Deliver it nationally? You get the idea...you will have to create demand for the radios and that won't happen until someone, somewhere starts thinking outside the box.

The automobile radio may be post technology in thirty years but not in my lifetime. It will probably not be used the same as you and I may have used it in the 50-90's but it will still be around in some form or fashion. My parents gathered around the radio every night in their younger years...being born in the 50s I never once "gathered around the radio " for evening entertainment. We watched television and all the radio stars that migrated to the new medium. Go read all the quotes from "experts" that said television would never catch on...

I don't have a crystal ball and I'm not in the consumer electronic development industry. I DO know advertising would be more effective if it were more demo and locality driven. Your radio/internet/audio listening would be a better experience if the ads you heard were specifically for people like you and featured products close by, or on your way to work, school, or home.

If you don't like ads then don't listen to the radio. Buy a MP3 player or pay for satellite radio, or Spotify/Pandora. Unless you're driving 100K a year and most of it is in the middle of no where you're throwing money away with satellite. $15/month for terrible audio quality and Howard Stern's same ol' schtick??!!

I listen to radio for the human interaction. I want to hear other voices and I want to know what they're thinking about. I want to hear ads for products I might want to try. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see the marriage of internet and terrestrial radio would make the radio experience better. And as long as it continues to be free it will have listeners.

Quote Originally Posted by KeithE4 View Post
    How much of that audience is older than 50?

True, but how many of those stations have audiences that are attractive to advertisers? Not counting non-comms of course, maybe 10% of AM and 70% of FM stations, roughly?

Only if you have a radio that will tune those HD channels. I have two at home, but not in my car. And I have no plans to buy an after-market stereo for my car anytime soon, if ever. Nor am I in the market for a car that has it.

Are those radios being developed now? Is the required infrastructure currently being developed and under test? If not, I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for them. Who's buying radios anyway, at least not that aren't a part of something else, like a car.

Maybe, but a lot of what you're saying can be filed under "pipe dreams." And I'd love to have some of what you're putting in that pipe.

The pipe is empty these days. I have thought about moving to Colorado...

More and more cars come with HD radio. there are actually a few HD only starting to show up in the trends. Yes, only a few, but people are gradually finding their way around the modern, gadget filled cars. They should start off as niche channels until penetration is adequate for more main stream programming. Example - I wonder why there is no personal development channel. Jim Rohn....24 hours a day. You should see what sales pros spend on the cassettes/CDs to condition their minds. There's hundreds of people putting this stuff out there...why not round up a few for a HD format? Deliver it nationally? You get the idea...you will have to create demand for the radios and that won't happen until someone, somewhere starts thinking outside the box.

The automobile radio may be post technology in thirty years but not in my lifetime. It will probably not be used the same as you and I may have used it in the 50-90's but it will still be around in some form or fashion. My parents gathered around the radio every night in their younger years...being born in the 50s I never once "gathered around the radio " for evening entertainment. We watched television and all the radio stars that migrated to the new medium. Go read all the quotes from "experts" that said television would never catch on...

I don't have a crystal ball and I'm not in the consumer electronic development industry. I DO know advertising would be more effective if it were more demo and locality driven. Your radio/internet/audio listening would be a better experience if the ads you heard were specifically for people like you and featured products close by, or on your way to work, school, or home.

If you don't like ads then don't listen to the radio. Buy a MP3 player or pay for satellite radio, or Spotify/Pandora. Unless you're driving 100K a year and most of it is in the middle of no where you're throwing money away with satellite. $15/month for terrible audio quality and Howard Stern's same ol' schtick??!!

I listen to radio for the human interaction. I want to hear other voices and I want to know what they're thinking about. I want to hear ads for products I might want to try. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see the marriage of internet and terrestrial radio would make the radio experience better. And as long as it continues to be free it will have listeners.

Quote Originally Posted by wavo View Post
    It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see the marriage of internet and terrestrial radio would make the radio experience better. And as long as it continues to be free it will have listeners.
    It may come as a surprise but Apple has spent a lot of money trying to launch hosted & curated internet radio stations, and they've been a complete failure. No one knows they even exist. I think Apple has realized this is not something they're good at. What Apple does when it finds something like this (such as a certain software or hardware), they buy it. Then they find ways to synergize with it. The recent ad campaign by Amazon selling its Alexa service on FM is an example of how radio can drive users to online services.

One might recall that Apple tried to launch channels with live (obviously not local) DJs. That failed. I fully get why the interest and why iHeart's going the direction they are, despite the cries of "but live and local DJs!"

Quote Originally Posted by Don CT View Post
    My question is based on the fact that Sat Radio is uncensored with no commercials. Why would they go backwards?
    Youíre assuming that buying into commercial radio would be going backwards. A lot of people donít buy satellite radio, and the business models are different. Plus, Liberty could leverage terrestrial radio and iHeartRadio to make its feature programming more accessible and reach more people. My experiences with the SiriusXM app on desktop PC's has been inconsistent at best and usually lousy. I rarely have issues with iHeart. If SiriusXM content were on iHeartRadio, I'd consider renewing my subscription. (In all fairness, I'm mainly dropping satellite radio because itís in my wifeís car, and weíre divorcing, but I have little use for it outside of her car.)

As others mention, the above assumes Liberty would think there was some reason to operate the two in tandem and could potentially get others onboard with the idea. It could also simply be happy being involved in another business and revenue stream.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12