• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Only a few days left for this station

Saw that.

Now I'm hearing their other station KWYU on 96.9 on, but silent. It was also silent yesterday. Maybe they borrowed equipment from it to fix 104.3 KUFA...

There are no refunds. In fact, even with auctioned frequencies there is no guarantee it is a viable allocation. You have to do your due diligence. The way the FCC views a CP: you asked for the CP as is, where is. The FCC stipulated a time deadline you knew. You either meet it or not. If you don't, it's not their problem.The FCC did their job,checking the engineering data you submitted and determining you actually qualify for the CP where is as is, so they're out the labor and tools to clear you for the CP in the first place whether you convert it to a license or not.

Lots of applicants run their CP until the final days, so a week to go might just mean they scheduled everything for the next day or two months before. One station I worked with got their CP in February but waited 22 months and signed on after lots of press releases with Christmas Music on the evening of Thanksgiving. Ironically they were ready to go 11 months after the CP was issued but they wanted to wait to make that holiday music launch.

That's terrible there are no refunds. My guess is a lot of broadcasters wanna back out since streaming radio has become so popular. Or maybe they changed their minds about that area.

KWYU's audio is back and sounds good.

Broadcasters are not opting for streaming. The rates charged by Sound Exchange alone far exceed the monetary value you can realize per listener. Then add ASCAP, BMI and SESAC and now a 4th music licensing group, your site and paying for the bandwidth for your listeners, the price is several times the potential income even if you're a whiz at selling it. For many CP holders, so much has changed by time you get the CP, it's sometimes like starting over... new tower site, new engineering, etc. With a CP I had the tower was no longer available and there was nothing reasonable around. In fact I would be out more cash for a new study and filing to move from the original site.

From figures I've run, Sound Exchange alone is about 3 to 3.5 times over what radio can monetize in the current world and when you add all the other costs, it's about 5x. In commercial language, if radio needs 10 spots an hour to make it, online you'd need around 35 or more and nobody would put up with that. Every station I know of that streams does so at a loss. I guess a few break even and maybe a couple make enough to run a profit but not from the stream but rather website, social media and email.

Thanks Bill for posting the truth about streaming. People act like it is the "future," but the reality is, if you do it legally, is a huge negative number generator. Unless the royalty situation is fixed, this is going to be a huge problem for broadcasters. 30 years ago, I would have told you I'd never pay for TV. Now I pay about $130 a month for it. It seems radio is next if it is to survive in the new world of the Internet.

I just happened to hear 96-9 on with the sound too loud.

As for streaming, it's nicer than analog FM that's for sure. But what about in areas with sucky Internet access? Radio itself might do better in those areas.

Coming from the owner of a licensed FM station, an AM station, and a couple translators I'm not surprised.

LOL sorry Chuck that was meant as sarcasm. Now I'm looking at it, I understand it was kinda mean. Radio's just not very popular at all with people I'm around in real life. Technically, this is real life, but online you don't really know someone all that well... Guess we're all lucky I'm not an Al-Qaeda member. Huh?

Anyways, KWYU sounds good now it's all fixed. No distortion.

It doesn't appear to be on at all now.
Unless someone else can confirm it's on, it probably did what a lot of stations are doing these days and filed without actually building it. The owner's other station KBQQ 100.1 is off the air too however that one previously I've heard on with quiet audio.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom