• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

And the October winner is...

THE SOUND!! Way to go 94.1, 4th place tied with KZOK! Phenomenal for a soft AC. And 106.9 has it's lowest ratings in a long time with a 3.4. Lolololololololololol.........
The Bull is under 3 and the Wolf is over 4...hmm, who's the winner now? 98.9 has been cursed ever since KWJZ went off. As for little signals, KHHO-850's news talk made it in with a 0.1.

While The Sound's ratings are interesting, the more dramatic moves (in the meaningless ratings) is KPLZ and KBKS are both a full point down.

WOW.

Well, whoever says Soft AC is dead now has it on their face. (I wonder if that's one of the possibilities at 106.1. It's safe as milk and cookies and it's the quintessential Seattle radio format.)

What happened? Well first, I guess KSWD is finding it's bearings under Smokey Rivers. As for KRWM, the Friday before Thanksgiving can't get here fast enough. They've been inching downward for most of the year.

The other may be in these sick, sad times, people want a nice, edge-free audio security blanket. Soft AC works to that end. I also wonder if Hot AC is starting to run out of steam here. It's going to take at least a few more books before we get a better picture.

I wonder if KRWM will flip to Xmas even earlier this year to try to get that needed top-5 boost against 94.1. November 9th, anyone? But at this point, I'll stick with 'Hands to Heaven' and 'Tiny Dancer' over 'Jingle Bell Rock' and 'All I Want for Christmas is Yoooooouuuuuu......

WOW.

Well, whoever says Soft AC is dead now has it on their face. (I wonder if that's one of the possibilities at 106.1. It's safe as milk and cookies and it's the quintessential Seattle radio format.)

What happened? Well first, I guess KSWD is finding it's bearings under Smokey Rivers. As for KRWM, the Friday before Thanksgiving can't get here fast enough. They've been inching downward for most of the year.

The other may be in these sick, sad times, people want a nice, edge-free audio security blanket. Soft AC works to that end. I also wonder if Hot AC is starting to run out of steam here. It's going to take at least a few more books before we get a better picture.

You realize that soft AC could be doing an 8.0, but if nearly all the listeners are over 55 agency advertisers still won't touch it, right?

You realize that soft AC could be doing an 8.0, but if nearly all the listeners are over 55 agency advertisers still won't touch it, right?

I call your attention to the early 1980s and again in the late 80s, when market leading B/EZ stations were dropping like flies!

Is there some sort of major change in the panel this time of year? It seems we always get some pretty weird swings around this time of year. As for how well Soft AC is doing, sure KSWD is doing pretty well, but I find the prospect of Soft AC at 106.1 highly unlikely. As for KSWD doing well 6+ if the domos are old, what can be done about stations like that? Even if 6+ numbers don't mean anything, what they do show is that demand for such formats exist. If KSWD were to get an 8.2 share in the next couple books then promptly be blown up because Entercom couldn't make any money on it, where are all those listeners going to go? Also, if stations were leading the market in the '80s when the format largely disappeared, why didn't any noncommercial stations pick up the format, at least part-time?

Is there some sort of major change in the panel this time of year? It seems we always get some pretty weird swings around this time of year. As for how well Soft AC is doing, sure KSWD is doing pretty well, but I find the prospect of Soft AC at 106.1 highly unlikely. As for KSWD doing well 6+ if the domos are old, what can be done about stations like that? Even if 6+ numbers don't mean anything, what they do show is that demand for such formats exist. If KSWD were to get an 8.2 share in the next couple books then promptly be blown up because Entercom couldn't make any money on it, where are all those listeners going to go? Also, if stations were leading the market in the '80s when the format largely disappeared, why didn't any noncommercial stations pick up the format, at least part-time?

The panel tends to be more volatile over the summer and, of course, in December and Holiday book periods.

The average turnover is around 8% a month, but those periods are a bit higher and the other periods a bit lower.

October is when every market's revised population and demographic estimates are implemented, but that is just a dimension and not a panel change; any needed panel change is done gradually as attrition gives openings to add new panelists that reflect changed demographics.

Well so far, it's been almost a year so far and Entercom doesn't seem to be complaining.

You realize the damage The Sound has done to its primary competitor, right?

I call your attention to the early 1980s and again in the late 80s, when market leading B/EZ stations were dropping like flies!

And I'll raise you branding, positioning and today's ownership rules in 2018.

The panel tends to be more volatile over the summer and, of course, in December and Holiday book periods.

The average turnover is around 8% a month, but those periods are a bit higher and the other periods a bit lower.

October is when every market's revised population and demographic estimates are implemented, but that is just a dimension and not a panel change; any needed panel change is done gradually as attrition gives openings to add new panelists that reflect changed demographics.
That's what I thought, but when I was thinking about this, I realized that it seems like either September or October see movements that nobody expects, but then over the next few months, those moves either reverse themselves or simply become "normal."

You realize the damage The Sound has done to its primary competitor, right?

And I'll raise you branding, positioning and today's ownership rules in 2018.

AQH, you may be right about cluster strategy, but as has been repeated over and over again, these are 6+ numbers which don't mean anything. If I understand correctly, KSWD could be leading the market far and away with a 9.3 share, but all of its listeners are over 55, while KRWM and its hypothetical 1.3 could be leading in 25-54. While I've made this example extreme on purpose, the point remains that KSWD, not KRWM would be the one to flip. My question if we saw anything like that, is where would all those older listeners go?

AQH, you may be right about cluster strategy, but as has been repeated over and over again, these are 6+ numbers which don't mean anything. If I understand correctly, KSWD could be leading the market far and away with a 9.3 share, but all of its listeners are over 55, while KRWM and its hypothetical 1.3 could be leading in 25-54. While I've made this example extreme on purpose, the point remains that KSWD, not KRWM would be the one to flip. My question if we saw anything like that, is where would all those older listeners go?

News/talk? Sports? Recorded music? Streaming? Doesn't really matter, as they are non-people on Madison Avenue.

Both will adjust, but neither The Sound or Warm are going to flip formats anytime soon.

Both will adjust, but neither The Sound or Warm are going to flip formats anytime soon.

While I agree, you missed the bigger point. If a station with really old demos is getting high 6+ numbers, something should be done to try to save that station if or when it decides to change format, because the people that listen to said station should have access to the music they want.

While I agree, you missed the bigger point. If a station with really old demos is getting high 6+ numbers, something should be done to try to save that station if or when it decides to change format, because the people that listen to said station should have access to the music they want.

No point was missed, I simply did not acknowledge it because I think it's wrong.

6+ is not important, nor are monthly books. Business is done on 25-54 adults, 25-54 women, 25-54 men and then 18-34 on a three book average, some advertisers look at a six book.
When you look at ratings with that in mind this market is very consistent. Adults on a three book book it's KISW, MOVIN, KIRO-FM. Women its MOVIN, STAR, THE END, Men it's KISW, KZOK, JACK. 18-34 is usually MOVIN, KISW and THE END. Stations will pop up or down for a book or two driven by a couple high listening panelists. KJR, WARM and THE SOUND are primarily 45+, but from time to time pop into the younger cells for a few books and then pop out.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom