• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Boston Radio Ratings October 2018.

https://ratings.radio-online.com/cgi-bin/rol.exe/arb013

WXKS FM #1 again.

WBZ FM gets their Patriots bump.

WRKO Lives !
WKAF nice gain also.

I wonder if WMJX's 6th place showing will make them flip to Christmas Music a little earlier than they would otherwise ?

Darn, WUMB plunges down to near-oblivion. And they were doing so well (relatively speaking). I wonder if there were tweaks to the music mix that didn't sit well or if the dip was merely a wobble caused by not enough PPMs being assigned to people in the station's optimal demographics.

Also, country continues its prolonged slump in Boston. It wasn't that long ago that WKLB was raising eyebrows with ratings in the 6's. Now it and WBWL don't even do a combined 6.0.

@bostonradio tweet:
The Sports Hub was #2 station in Boston among listeners 25-54(male and female) from September 14 to October 11. Kiss 108 was #1, of course

Darn, WUMB plunges down to near-oblivion. And they were doing so well (relatively speaking). I wonder if there were tweaks to the music mix that didn't sit well or if the dip was merely a wobble caused by not enough PPMs being assigned to people in the station's optimal demographics.

If they were doing a lot of on-air fundraising during this period that may have caused people to tune out.

As bad a Krazy Kuhner is Mike Siegel could put a meth head to sleep. I don't know were he finds them but he comes up with most obscure guests. His evening show that is syndicated to four or five stations sounds like he is broadcasting from his bathroom.

Nice gain for WKAF, I noticed that they seem a bit more soft and mellow at night which is good.

Besides the obvious for WBOS, namely canning the morning show, how to fix that station? Format change?

In Detroit WDZH Amp just flipped to Soft AC. Might be a good move for WBOS.

These ratings are 6 and over but there are other demos that may matter more and the general public may not have access to those, though they can pop up in newspaper articles etc.

WKOX 1430 is listed as news.It's Spanish hits though was news (talk actually) till Mar. WXKS is 1200 with talk.
What should go on 92.9? It may be doing well enough in some demos for Beasley to keep as is.What format holes exist? Would they risk doing oldies (classic hits WROR covers some of that), talk (they tried years ago with WTKK), smooth jazz, foreign language, religion, etc?
Might they put the "Irish 96.9" HD2 format there? Ideas?...or keep as is...
(Wikipedia: "WBOS's alternative rock format is projected to reach a younger, more dynamic male-skewing audience in their 20s and 30s.")

Last edited:
As I said earlier, WBOS does have listeners. Now how to fix it? Maybe a more current progressive rock? Do 80's and 90's Oldies? A competitor to Magic would be interesting!

As I said earlier, WBOS does have listeners. Now how to fix it? Maybe a more current progressive rock? Do 80's and 90's Oldies? A competitor to Magic would be interesting!

Why would Beasley ( short of having to stay under the market cap for billing) give away MJX to Entercom only to try to re-create it on WBOS?

The best thing that could happen to it would be WXRV and WERS getting out of the format. Those three stations seem to be splitting a very small pie, unless you really think that one alternative rock station with full-market coverage with no competition would be doing more than a 4.0 to a 5.0. As others have said, we non-insiders have no clue as to how WBOS is doing in the narrow demo it is targeting. If that 2.0 of theirs is nearly 100 percent male and at the lower end of 25-54, they might be appealing enough to advertisers as is that they don't need to change anything, including the out-of-market morning show that seems to be a whipping boy for not-in-the-business radio geeks.

I think comparing the River and WERS is like comparing apples to oranges. When I say progressive rock, I use that term very loosely. Could be more of an active rock station instead. I mean does alternative even exist anymore other than by name. And you're right, I forgot the deal Beasly made with Entercom.

When I say progressive rock, I use that term very loosely. Could be more of an active rock station instead.

To me, "progressive rock" means pretentious art-rock like Yes and Emerson Lake and Palmer, and "active rock" describes what WAAF does. The first is not a format hole in the 21st century, the second is already filled.

To me, WAAF is all over the place, plus it doesn't cover the entire area. The format that I am thinking of would be all rock and focus on currents instead.

Why would Beasley ( short of having to stay under the market cap for billing) give away MJX to Entercom only to try to re-create it on WBOS?

1.) Because they think AC is an "easy money" format...doesn't require much expense or maintenance, and bills a lot as it has a lot of demographic efficiency.

2.) Clear Channel / iHeart has been putting on secondary AC's in markets where there is already a dominant (mainstream) AC station established. (Usually a "soft-AC", that is run cheaply....)

1.) Because they think AC is an "easy money" format...doesn't require much expense or maintenance, and bills a lot as it has a lot of demographic efficiency.

AC stations need a degree of promotion to maintain their "visibility" so they do have a promotional budget. They also need to do several music tests a year and most of the good ones do some form of TSL contesting.

The leader in all this is, of course, WBEB in Philly. Lots of research, lots of promotion, highest biller in the market.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom