Boston Radio Ratings October 2018. - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Boston Radio Ratings October 2018.

Quote Originally Posted by Retro View Post
    As I said earlier, WBOS does have listeners. Now how to fix it? Maybe a more current progressive rock? Do 80's and 90's Oldies? A competitor to Magic would be interesting!
    The best thing that could happen to it would be WXRV and WERS getting out of the format. Those three stations seem to be splitting a very small pie, unless you really think that one alternative rock station with full-market coverage with no competition would be doing more than a 4.0 to a 5.0. As others have said, we non-insiders have no clue as to how WBOS is doing in the narrow demo it is targeting. If that 2.0 of theirs is nearly 100 percent male and at the lower end of 25-54, they might be appealing enough to advertisers as is that they don't need to change anything, including the out-of-market morning show that seems to be a whipping boy for not-in-the-business radio geeks.

I think comparing the River and WERS is like comparing apples to oranges. When I say progressive rock, I use that term very loosely. Could be more of an active rock station instead. I mean does alternative even exist anymore other than by name. And you're right, I forgot the deal Beasly made with Entercom.

Quote Originally Posted by Retro View Post
    When I say progressive rock, I use that term very loosely. Could be more of an active rock station instead.
    To me, "progressive rock" means pretentious art-rock like Yes and Emerson Lake and Palmer, and "active rock" describes what WAAF does. The first is not a format hole in the 21st century, the second is already filled.

To me, WAAF is all over the place, plus it doesn't cover the entire area. The format that I am thinking of would be all rock and focus on currents instead.

Quote Originally Posted by MRBIboredop View Post
    Why would Beasley ( short of having to stay under the market cap for billing) give away MJX to Entercom only to try to re-create it on WBOS?
    1.) Because they think AC is an "easy money" format...doesn't require much expense or maintenance, and bills a lot as it has a lot of demographic efficiency.

2.) Clear Channel / iHeart has been putting on secondary AC's in markets where there is already a dominant (mainstream) AC station established. (Usually a "soft-AC", that is run cheaply....)

Moderator/Co-Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Wimmmex View Post
    1.) Because they think AC is an "easy money" format...doesn't require much expense or maintenance, and bills a lot as it has a lot of demographic efficiency.
    AC stations need a degree of promotion to maintain their "visibility" so they do have a promotional budget. They also need to do several music tests a year and most of the good ones do some form of TSL contesting.

The leader in all this is, of course, WBEB in Philly. Lots of research, lots of promotion, highest biller in the market.
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, Billboard, Cash Box, R&R, Record World, Music & Media, Audio, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, Popular Electronics, Studio Sound, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidEduardo View Post

The leader in all this is, of course, WBEB in Philly. Lots of research, lots of promotion, highest biller in the market.
    Let's see if this continues (billing/research/promotion) now that they have new owners! ;-)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12