Carts at the Game??

Thread: Carts at the Game??

Carts at the Game??

I have some technical questions about 929 the Game. I often listen to WZGC and I wonder are they playing carts?!! The commercialsí volume are noticeably different. You hear a commercial, then sometimes there is a 2 or 4 second delay then the next commercial is barely heard then about 3 or 4 seconds later it. One would assume there is a PC or server playing the commercials. Being a former CBS O & O, in market # 8, they should have all of the national commercials in their PC or server. Even most small market stations can get the commercials volume right.

Quote Originally Posted by secondchoice View Post
    I have some technical questions about 929 the Game. I often listen to WZGC and I wonder are they playing carts?!! The commercialsí volume are noticeably different. You hear a commercial, then sometimes there is a 2 or 4 second delay then the next commercial is barely heard then about 3 or 4 seconds later it. One would assume there is a PC or server playing the commercials. Being a former CBS O & O, in market # 8, they should have all of the national commercials in their PC or server. Even most small market stations can get the commercials volume right.
    They are not using cart machines. I think they're using Wide Orbit now.

The board op is probably running the system in manual mode - that is not uncommon when the format is talk.

The level differences is because the engineer in charge is actually smart enough to not run 1000 db of compression. The CBS stations, if you pay attention, sound really good. Especially V103.
    Now allowing some dynamic range does require tighter production and board op skills. Maybe some of them will see this post and pay better attention to levels...