• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

October ratings...already

October numbers are out: https://ratings.radio-online.com/cgi-bin/rol.exe/arb033

KLTN and KOVE both have nice increases.

All three Country stations are down a bit.

SportsTalk 790 beats SportsRadio 610, but 610's stream also shows up, while 790's does not.

Appears a few Classical fans have discovered the HD capability of their car radios.

And once again, our favorite dumpster fire on 92.1 remains in the zeroes. Still awaiting a sale.

I still think a 3rd Latino mix format would be good.

Or maybe Centro Cristiano could try to buy it and move their LA CALLE from 92.5 to 92.1 FM.
giphy.gif

As David Eduardo suggested in another thread, KROI needs to do something unique to the market that will hold listeners in spite of the deficient signal. But I have my doubts as to whether Urban One is the company that can do that. The RadioNow CHR format is obviously a failure that is going nowhere, but UO has done nothing to promote the station, or at least make adjustments to the format to improve ratings. This is why I think a sale is likely--UO has unloaded some other underperforming properties recently. The one thing making them hesitate might be the realization that they will only get a fraction of the $72 million they paid for the stick in 2004.

The Rhythmic/Rap/Hip-Hop heavy RadioNow format has too many similar competitors in the market with better signals.

I often think that Cox might be the best solution, in which they would (re)establish a simulcast with 97.1, and perhaps launch a new format (Country Legends has survived for almost 16 years but skews very old and bills poorly.)

Entercom could buy it and move the SportsTalk format there (or simulcast with 610.)

And there's always the national religious broadcasters such as EMF, AFR, or WAY-FM.

But no, La Calle or another competitor to KLOL or KAMA is not the answer.

I have to wonder how KSBJ feels KXNG is doing for them. I sure wouldn't expect them to do as well as KSBJ but figure at least a 1.5 by now.

At least Cox's 97.1 is not a costly operation. They might not bill much but they don't need much. If they dropped the classic country I suspect somebody else would pick it up. And with the format they don't hurt their other properties.

Should 92.1 look at classic hits? Maybe. The real question is in their strong areas of the metro, what can they do to get a large enough percentage of that pie to have a respectable overall audience against full coverage competitors? Certainly it is all about money. Maybe the trick is to be lean enough to make it on what the signal can produce without taking away from their full market brothers.Having a .9 doesn't mean you have to be losing money.

Regarding 92.1. Maybe Alternative, Maybe Active rock? Chip away at the buzz?

Regarding NGEN I'm sure that they would like to be doing better, but why would a non com christian outlet really care about the book.

Regarding NGEN: They'd care because those donating the money tend to do so when they know their dollars are effectively used. If results are less than what was expected, then some of that funding will go elsewhere. Certainly number of listeners matters. Listener supported stations need generally 8 to 15 listeners to get one listener donation. Underwriting value is directly related to reach just like any commercial station. The more listeners you have the more you can get per underwriter unit and the easier it is to sell. Many large donors donate where they feel their donation reaches a good number of people.

I still think a 3rd Latino mix format would be good.

You do realize that KAMA and KLOL are different formats? one is CHR, the other is Hot AC.

Or maybe Centro Cristiano could try to buy it and move their LA CALLE from 92.5 to 92.1 FM.

Why take a format that has nearly no appeal in the Southwest and put it on a bigger signal that nobody would listen to?

You do realize that KAMA and KLOL are different formats? one is CHR, the other is Hot AC.

Why take a format that has nearly no appeal in the Southwest and put it on a bigger signal that nobody would listen to?

No I didn’t, which one is which?? And Amor 106.5 plays lots of the same that LATINOMIX plays with some regional Mexican added.

At least Cox's 97.1 is not a costly operation. They might not bill much but they don't need much. If they dropped the classic country I suspect somebody else would pick it up.

I can't think of any other station in the market that would go with Classic Country were it to disappear from 97.1. I would be curious to see how it would do on a simulcast with 92.1, but I suspect Cox (or another future owner of such a simulcast) would go with something skewing much younger.

Sent: Tuesday, September 11, 2018 5:00:05 PM
To: (email removed)
Subject: RE: [EXTERNAL] Hello Terri...

HI! Thank you so much for reaching back out! We’re committed Radio Now but thank you for inquiring again. I appreciate you!

The quoted email is meaningless. Station management is not going to admit they're thinking of a format change, should they be doing so.

You're married until you're divorced. You're healthy until you're sick. You're employed until you're laid off. And station management is committed to a format...until it's not.

If RadioNow was getting numbers in the twos with a steady upward trend, then there would probably be a future for the format. But they are stuck in the zeroes and going nowhere. And the four previous formats UO had on the frequency were killed with higher numbers.

No I didn’t, which one is which?? And Amor 106.5 plays lots of the same that LATINOMIX plays with some regional Mexican added.

Amor is a gold based AC
Mega is a hot AC
KAMA is CHR.

Amor plays no currents and recurrents. It is all gold.

Mega plays 40% currents, the rest being gold and recurrents.

KAMA plays 82% currents, 12% recurrents and barely any gold, nearly all of which is just post-recurrent. (The only exeption is a smattering of bachata from the 2008-2012 period in very light rotations).

KAMA rotates powers 120 times a week. KLOL rotates powers in the 70-80 time range, and Amor has no currents.

There are a few overlaps between Amor and KLOL, but quite a few in the currents and recurrents between KLOL and KAMA... as is normal when comparing a CHR and a Hot AC. There is almost zero overlap between Amor and KAMA.

Last edited:
I wonder if Cox has considered changing The Eagle simulcast from 107.5/106.9 to 107.5/97.1. I know 97.1 is a nice compliment for 93Q, but there is an enormous amount of overlap between the 107.5 and 106.9 signals. 106.9 has and again could be its own station. In my own experience, I'd say 106.9 is the best non-Missouri City signal in the market besides 102.9.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom