• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Christmas music on WLIT

staggmovie

Star Participant
Now that we are this close to Halloween, anybody want to venture any guess of when the Lite 93.9 will make their annual switch to Christmas music? They have been good about not making the switch prior to November 1st, but it is always some point in November.

Now that we are this close to Halloween, anybody wants to venture any guess of when the Lite 93.9 will make their annual switch to Christmas music? They have been good about not making the switch prior to November 1st, but it is always some point in November.

Someone with either "flip" the switch at least after Veterans Day but it could be a few days before.

My guess is that they'll start a little later than usual, but still before Thanksgiving. Their ratings are a little better than in some past years, so the finger on the "switch" may not be quite as itchy as it has been before.

Sirius/XM didn't waste any time as they started their Christmas music today.

They start up a couple of channels on Nov. 1 every year. This year, one of them has been rebranded The Hallmark Channel and is playing a mix of standards and modern stuff, haven't listened long enough to hear if Hallmark is slipping in a little plug for its cards every once in a while -- although just saying "Hallmark" in liners several times an hour is a sneaky way to advertise on what's supposed to be a service that offers advertising-free music.

I saw that got posted on Twitter, but I am asking more on the lines of when people think that Lite will make their annual switch to Christmas music.

I understand what you’re asking. One thing is for certain, when they switch we’ll know about it.

Then there are the stores, With apologies from the veer. From my travels.....

Selfridge's Department Store. Oxford Street, London. Full blown decorations inside and in the windows. I snapped pictures on my phone on October 29 a few years back. Canadian Tire, West Island Montreal. Christmas decorations up in September. About five years ago.

I personally LOVE Christmas and the Holiday season....but those two examples are more than a little extreme, IMHO. As for the music, I don't care when it turns up on radio. I don't listen to it. I usually start playing my own mixes (about 300 tracks) on my 15 year old laptop, which now exists exclusively as a Spotify jukebox. Then feed it to my FM modulator, which has a range of about one block on 92.1. And yes, a couple of my neighbors always ask me when I'm going to crank it up.

My guess is that they'll start a little later than usual, but still before Thanksgiving. Their ratings are a little better than in some past years, so the finger on the "switch" may not be quite as itchy as it has been before.

We will see about that I ill imagine it would be soon as Christmas music brings them their best ratings of the year, and when you look at more recently in ratings only Robin Rock's show even breaks in the top ten for middays.

I have to imagine it has to be a few channels as there are some stations that play artists songs like Elvis Presley, Jimmy Buffett, and Frank Sinatra, two of which have recorded Christmas music, I can't think of any Jimmy Buffett Christmas songs, that he either did an original Christmas song or covered a Christmas song.

I understand what you’re asking. One thing is for certain, when they switch we’ll know about it.

And I bet that Robert Feder will have a report about it when it gets announced. I don't know about the rest of you, but I know that they sent out in e-mails the exact day and time when they make the switch, they sent the e0mail to me, and the person that guess correctly gets $1,000.

Then there are the stores, With apologies from the veer. From my travels.....

Selfridge's Department Store. Oxford Street, London. Full blown decorations inside and in the windows. I snapped pictures on my phone on October 29 a few years back. Canadian Tire, West Island Montreal. Christmas decorations up in September. About five years ago.

I personally LOVE Christmas and the Holiday season....but those two examples are more than a little extreme, IMHO. As for the music, I don't care when it turns up on radio. I don't listen to it. I usually start playing my own mixes (about 300 tracks) on my 15 year old laptop, which now exists exclusively as a Spotify jukebox. Then feed it to my FM modulator, which has a range of about one block on 92.1. And yes, a couple of my neighbors always ask me when I'm going to crank it up.

Kind of funny or weird how since you claim you don't care when it turns up on radio that you replied, but it is great that you choose to be your own dj and get to hear only the Christmas songs you want to hear, and not have to hear about every version of Santa baby or over and over again Mariah Caray's all I want for Christmas is you.

Robert Feder had a report in his Robservations report https://www.robertfeder.com/2018/11...nd-thought-sun-times-brings-back-tv-listings/ , which is the third news story, or you can look at it also being third to last news story, that he is reporting that Christmas music on WLIT could come any day now. So he is like us doesn't know when it is coming, ao assuming that decision will lie to Mick Lee that is the music director as far as I am aware of, that also doubles as the afternoon drive host from 3:00-7:00 PM. So really all we can do is keep watching and waiting to see, when the announcement will come.

The Christmas Holiday Lite turns on 4:05 pm Nov 8, 2018.

And I saw that Robert Feder had a report on out today https://www.robertfeder.com/2018/11/07/lite-fm-starts-christmas-music-thursday/ . and the earliest they have ever started Christmas music on November 2nd, in 2006 and 2007. Can I asked a favor, and I don't care of who, I am very sure that I am not going to be near a radio or a computer, or have any internet access at about 4:05 tomorrow afternoon, can somebody please tune in at about that time, and please reply back what is the first Christmas song that gets played. I am not saying you have to listen long, just longer enough to hear what the first Christmas song of the year they play and who the artist is of that song.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom