• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Latest Chicago Radio Ratings 10-29-18

As an oldtimer, and WLS fan from the past, I am intrigued by the AM ratings here. WBBM is still doing well, proof that the AM band is not dead yet. They are certainly doing something right. The Score and WGN also are hanging in there. WLS-AM is lost. Too bad for such a mighty signal from the past.

The WBBM numbers while saying "AM" are actually a combination of the AM/FM simulcast. Does anyone have the current breakdown of how much listening is of FM vs. AM?

As an oldtimer, and WLS fan from the past, I am intrigued by the AM ratings here. WBBM is still doing well, proof that the AM band is not dead yet. They are certainly doing something right. The Score and WGN also are hanging in there. WLS-AM is lost. Too bad for such a mighty signal from the past.

When you look at Robert Feder's reports the station is not in the ten ten for radio stations Monday thru Saturday from 6 AM to Midnight, and even Steve Cochran's morning show is the only WGN radio show that cracks into the top ten, and he is always beat out by Steve Harvey's morning show, and that is not one either a local show, it is syndicated, and two Steve Harvey doesn't even broadcast his show from Chicago when he does his tv show as he is now out in Los Angeles. Don't know what WBBM AM does well even since all they do broadcast the same news over and over again, ion less of course for breaking news. The Score has been hanging on because of the Cubs but since their season is over, now let's see what their ratings are like, don't know the Bulls will even nearly bring in the same ratings.

The WBBM numbers while saying "AM" are actually a combination of the AM/FM simulcast. Does anyone have the current breakdown of how much listening is of FM vs. AM?

Like that old hair coloring ad, "only the subscriber knows for sure".

Stations that elect to be shown with combined numbers on a single line in the ratings reports are using Total Line Reporting. While the station can request a break from Nielsen, the other subscribers are not given this data.

Don't know what WBBM AM does well even since all they do broadcast the same news over and over again, ion less of course for breaking news.

The all news format, since it was invented in Cuba in 1948, has always been an ongoing repetition of the top news, with developing stories updated and older stories dropped for later breaking ones.

The concept is to give a full quick review to people who want an update, but have only the length of their commute or some other restriction on time in which to get the update. High cume, low time spent listening but frequent return visits. In very large cities, this makes for a successful radio station.

Those of us with a bit more time and an interest in greater depth will make choices like NPR or even things like the BBC for more extensive coverage.

What’s up with B96? They have taken a dive in the ratings. No more Flipside at 5 or st least it wasn’t on yesterday when I tuned in...

WLIT continues to climb in ratings so my question is do they flip early to Christmas music or try to continue what seems to be working for them and switch at a latter date. They have added more Lite tunes to the playlist which seems to be attracting more listeners. On the other hand, WLS FM seems to be playing less Easy tunes and their ratings seem to be climbing. I am glad to see MeTvFm continues to do well even with its poor dial placement and low cost operation. Any thoughts?

WLIT continues to climb in ratings so my question is do they flip early to Christmas music or try to continue what seems to be working for them and switch at a latter date. They have added more Lite tunes to the playlist which seems to be attracting more listeners. On the other hand, WLS FM seems to be playing less Easy tunes and their ratings seem to be climbing. I am glad to see MeTvFm continues to do well even with its poor dial placement and low cost operation. Any thoughts?

We will see soon about when they make their annual flip to Christmas music. Since Christmas music does bring in thier best ratings of the year, I would think sooner than later. I am sure they will have an announcement about it soon, and I am sure that Robert Feder will have a report about it. WLS 94.7 has a huge obsession with Michael Jackson, and I am also glad that Me TV FM does well even despite being on a low power station.

The all news format, since it was invented in Cuba in 1948, has always been an ongoing repetition of the top news, with developing stories updated and older stories dropped for later breaking ones.

The concept is to give a full quick review to people who want an update, but have only the length of their commute or some other restriction on time in which to get the update. High cume, low time spent listening but frequent return visits. In very large cities, this makes for a successful radio station.

Those of us with a bit more time and an interest in greater depth will make choices like NPR or even things like the BBC for more extensive coverage.

I didn't know that Cuba invented the all news format, don't know if I want to know for sure when it came to the United States or even Illinois. NPR will be the prefect choice they have Morning edition 7 days a week, but weekdays and weekends. And they just might be the better choice then listening to a station that just has all news all the time expect for when the Chicago Bears play.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom