• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Philadelphia ratings

WOGL, from an 8.2 (first place), down to a 6.8 (4th place) since July 2018. Should have left the 60's and 70's music alone. Return to the way you were and things will improve again.

As has been stated many times before by may radio professionals, "these are meaningless 12+ numbers" that don't even get looked at by time buyers and the stations themselves.

As long as WOGL is in the top tier of stations in 25-54, they will get on many/most ad buys.

As has also been noted many times, ad buyers who use ratings look at multi-book averages, not just the last monthly book. Often they look at the last 6 months or more. So the little sampling wobbles and seasonal differences are flattened.

And, finally, agencies and big advertisers look at rating and not share. A 1.2 share point variation is reflected as a 0.1 rating point change. So those "apparently big" changes in share are not visible when rating is used as a buying criteria.

On the programming side, WOGL has been trying to shed the older listeners to be better focused in 25-54. When stations do this kind of "trimming" the 12+ will often intentionally go down, with a simultaneous increase in 25-54. In other words, that is a very good thing to have happen.

Millennials should start operating trainings to teach older folks how to obtain/find/use technology to hear the music they crave. It's somewhat ironic that young people know all about it, yet the music they want is mostly available OTA...while older people who shy away from tech can't find what they want to hear (for very good reason). Millennials teaching oldsters how to get their fix could be a lucrative little business model. haha.

Back to the Ben-FM question: One thing I thought of regarding a potential shift in Ben's music. It was stated in another thread that 96.5 TDY is officially changing its chart reporting status from Hot AC to CHR. That leaves the Philly market without a Hot AC for the first time in ... might be decades!
Just as TDY did a gradual shift from Hot AC to CHR, maybe Ben-FM is shifting from 80s-90s focused Adult Hits to what the format sounds like in many other markets: a cross between an 80s-based Classic Hits station and a Hot AC.
Perhaps we're seeing Ben-FM become more of a true format competitor to More 101.1.
What's the format hole in Philly? Straight-ahead Hot AC without 106.1's rhythmic lean.

Back to the Ben-FM question: One thing I thought of regarding a potential shift in Ben's music. It was stated in another thread that 96.5 TDY is officially changing its chart reporting status from Hot AC to CHR. That leaves the Philly market without a Hot AC for the first time in ... might be decades!
Just as TDY did a gradual shift from Hot AC to CHR, maybe Ben-FM is shifting from 80s-90s focused Adult Hits to what the format sounds like in many other markets: a cross between an 80s-based Classic Hits station and a Hot AC.
Perhaps we're seeing Ben-FM become more of a true format competitor to More 101.1.
What's the format hole in Philly? Straight-ahead Hot AC without 106.1's rhythmic lean.

But I think what you're describing is pretty much what WBEB is doing. And going after 101.1's piece of the pie has never worked great for anyone before. Also...what is Hot AC without Rhythmic? (Do you mean Rhythmic or Urban?)

I will never listen to radio again, if entercom doesn't get rid of GOP talk on 1210 AM. The station is a joke and every person on this board knows it.

I will never listen to radio again, if entercom doesn't get rid of GOP talk on 1210 AM. The station is a joke and every person on this board knows it.

Trust me, talk radio (or "news" as is alleged) that is slanted that much and is simply poisoning minds is certainly not something I'd listen to. But "everyone on this board" is going a bit far. I guarantee you there are participants here who drink the Kool Aid. We've seen as much.

...1210 AM... is a joke and every person on this board knows it.
Are you suggesting that there's no diversity of opinion on this board? We are a group of stragglers, perhaps; but we're not politically monolithic. No group, with the possible exception of academia, is.

No you won’t, and you know it. Never mind it’s a rediculous proposition to start with.

Julius spouted thus "I will never listen to radio again, if entercom doesn't get rid of GOP talk on 1210 AM. The station is a joke and every person on this board knows it"

Please PLEASE make this true. Is there date we can expect radio silence from you?

Julius, you make me so very sad. You opine on 1210 AM and 1060 AM so often, i know what you are going to say as soon as i see your name listed on a topic.

Let's make this simple. Entercom won't get rid of what is working for them, So enjoy your retirement.

Last edited:
Julius spouted thus "I will never listen to radio again, if entercom doesn't get rid of GOP talk on 1210 AM. The station is a joke and every person on this board knows it"

Please PLEASE make this true. Is there date we can expect radio silence from you?

Julius, you make me so very sad. You opine on 1210 AM and 1060 AM so often, i know what you are going to say as soon as i see your name listed on a topic.

Let's make this simple. Entercom won't get rid of what is working for them, So enjoy your retirement.

Radio hasn't been good for a long time and there's no need for me to listening to radio in this market.

Radio hasn't been good for a long time and there's no need for me to listening to radio in this market.

Maybe this is somewhere where we can all find some common ground. :rolleyes:

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom