• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

KMET License Plate

semoochie

Star Participant
While driving around Portland the other day, I happened to notice an Oregon plate that read, "KMET". Since these calls are not currently in use, I must assume either a fan or former employee of the LA station migrated to Oregon. Perhaps, someone has further examples of this sort of thing. I once saw an Oregon plate that read, "CUB WGN", which I took as someone being a fan of the Chicago Cubs, who watched the games, on Superstation WGN. I mentioned this to my wife, who pointed out that the car in question was a cub wagon.

While driving around Portland the other day, I happened to notice an Oregon plate that read, "KMET". Since these calls are not currently in use, I must assume either a fan or former employee of the LA station migrated to Oregon.
I think the call signs have been in use before Fred Cote did his Murder. Hey Fred, we know you get internet privileges and read Radio Discussions Dot Com!
http://www.kmet1490am.com/

Or...it could just be shorthand for the person's name.

Or an acronym with a special meaning known only to the car owner and those close to him/her. Keep Minnesota Eating Tomatoes. Kiss Me Every Thursday. Karl Marx: Eternal Truth. Kelly, My English Teacher. The possibilities are limitless.

Oh, I see what I did. I tried both KMET and KMET-FM but I was in FM Query. I'm used to CDBS.

No problem. Fred Cote couldn't make a penny with K-GUD 1490 in Banning. The community hated the Radio station because it was always locked and no one worked there, programmed out of KOLA Riverside. I think the originating studio was over 30 miles (31.2) from the Station and was illegal at the time although the law never scared Fred. Fred decided to change call signs when KMET became available. Soon after he and his Engineer killed his wife's lover. Fred you stole my SS contributions from 1979-1980 you freak

Old Fred is "enjoying" his golden years in CA State Prison facility in Lancaster. He got life without parole and is 83 years old. So you lost a couple years SS, you get the last laugh as he rots his miserable life away behind bars.

Sometimes People pick their personalized plates with the intention they will be read backwards in another motorist rearview mirror. In this instance the plate might be read as METK.

Or an acronym with a special meaning …

Analogous situations involving URLs: kcbs.com, originally held by the Kansas City Barbecue Society; and wcbs.com, originally and still held by West Coast Business Systems.

Analogous situations involving URLs: kcbs.com, originally held by the Kansas City Barbecue Society; and wcbs.com, originally and still held by West Coast Business Systems.

I remember when MLB teams set up shop on the Web. Most teams got their team names and .com, but Minnesota had to settle for twinsbaseball.com because someone else was doing business as twins.com, and Seattle couldn't pry mariners.com away from the marine supply company that was using it, so the M's had to settle for mariners.org.

I remember when MLB teams set up shop on the Web. Most teams got their team names and .com, but Minnesota had to settle for twinsbaseball.com because someone else was doing business as twins.com, and Seattle couldn't pry mariners.com away from the marine supply company that was using it, so the M's had to settle for mariners.org.

....and for years the Angels were angelsbaseball.com as angels.com was originally owned by a registrant in Korea. Today both angelsbaseball.com and angels.com redirect to the team's section on mlb.com.

There was a telecommunications company at twins.com (owned by a pair of twins), but for the past decade or so, the site has been "under construction" or "coming soon", etc, according to archive.org

mariners.com now redirects to https://www.mlb.com/mariners

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom